What happened to my amp?

• Thread starter charlieshreds
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

charlieshreds

Reaction score
Hey guys,so I have a jcm800 from 84(mk 2 I believe) it's a 50 watter,but earlier I was playing with a new pedal I just got and it was running well for about 30 minutes.Then it just quit it was pretty quick,but it just quit making sound.The first thing I thought it might be was the new pedal was bad,so I check all my cables,checked my power/power supply and it all looked fine.I own a bass amp that's connected to the same power strip,so I tried that and it worked perfectly,so did the pedals through it.I'm just wondering if my tubes went bad or did I fry something in there?It smelt really hot and infact I thought something was on fire,so I opened a window since it's a cool day and now i'm just kinda wondering what went wrong.Any help or advice is welcomed,also sorry for any fuck ups(I know theres probably a ton):lol: just trying to write this in a hurry.
Thanks!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

UV7BK4LIFE

Schecter A7 addict
Reaction score
Have you checked the fuse? But when it gets smelly from overheating then you'd better take it to a tech instead of trying to turn it back on. It may get more damaged if you manage to fry it twice.

charlieshreds

Reaction score
Have you checked the fuse? But when it gets smelly from overheating then you'd better take it to a tech instead of trying to turn it back on. It may get more damaged if you manage to fry it twice.

I'm probably not going to turn it back on,but I honestly don't know what the fuse does to tell the truth.I don't know too much about amps I just know that you match the ohms and power and let them heat up before playing,etc.I was playing it perfectly fine for about an hour 2 days ago cranked up to about 6 on the low channel with a ds-1 through the front.Today it was on 2 on low and just crapped out all of a sudden.

asher

So Did We
Reaction score
Probably the fuse blowing. But bear in mind that the fuse is there to save your circuitry, so there is a problem somewhere. First guess is a power tube went bad and the power fluctuation tripped the fuse - but a tech is a good idea to make sure its not something else.

charlieshreds

Reaction score
Any rough estimate you guys can give me for the price of new tubes,new fuse and the tech work assuming that is the problem?

asher

So Did We
Reaction score
Two power tubes = as low as probably 20/25 depending on what you get.

Fuse = pocket change. Make sure you get exactly the same kind.

Tech = a bunch more, but I don't have an estimate.

Latest posts

')