What happened with Peavey now? the 6505 and 6505+ are made in China?

• Thread starter guitarblade
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Carl Kolchak

Last of the famous international playboys
Reaction score
Perhaps this is why Peavey is able to bring out those Mini heads for +/-$400, whereas a similar amp from Marshall will cost you +/-$700.

If getting a decent tone means having to buy a Chicom amp, and saving myself a couple of hundred bucks in the process, then I can live with that.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Sean Richardson

Onedge Custom
Reaction score
What an odd sentiment.

If China nationalized their industry it would lead to a major collapse in their economy as they would be cutting off foreign investment in their nations assets. It would lead to a global economic disaster in general. Where guitar amps are made would become much less important than where food, medicine, medical supplies, and important electronic equipment comes from.

Not to mention the fact that China also holds a ....load of US treasury bonds. Fact is right now China is keeping many counties going. Yeah it sucks that jobs migrate from the U.S. or Europe (or in my case OZ) to China but the facts remain that their investment in other countries economically and their consumption of raw materials is keeping many developed economies out of recession/depression.

Bish0p34

Reaction score
I own some Chinese amps, and have good luck with them so far. I figure that if they're given a set of specifications to manufacture something to, it should turn out ok. I had this conversation with my wife a while back.

She was an engineer at Pride Mobility until recently. They make powered scooters and other physical rehab products. Her group of engineers goes to China twice a year to keep them in line, and get them back to using parts that are within the specs they were originally given. She told me that they also use the lowest quality machines (often buying other manufacturers leftovers), and always cut corners as much as possible.

I take it with a grain of salt, that maybe every company doesn't have these same business practices over there. Still, my faith in Chinese manufacturing was shaken.

WarMachine

Reaction score
This definitely blows hard, but when you think about it, all people seem to care about is AxeFx/Kemper so it doesn't really surprise me much. Thing is, those modelers; once the "real" amps are gone, what's left to model? An AxeFx 5150 patch that was "profiled" on a Kemper? :lol:

EDIT: Also, expect in a few years after a huge backlash for Peavey to bring it back to the states....but with a heftier price tag as well :agreed:

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
I just don't understand the "support USA products" thing.
I've always been interested in quality and price, if a Chinese, Mexican, Korean, etc product is cheap and with good quality, I'll buy anytime over an USA product.

I'm not a big "gotta buy USA" guy, but i understand the concept of wanting to support your local market rather than sending your money to a foreign country. But at the same time the Chinese have to feed their kids too, so at the end of the day, you are still supporting another human being.

I figure that if they're given a set of specifications to manufacture something to, it should turn out ok.

Exactly. It is then up to the brand itself to determine if the product is up the the standards they have set, in this case by previously manufacturing the amps themselves.

Albionic

First of the magi
Reaction score
This definitely blows hard, but when you think about it, all people seem to care about is AxeFx/Kemper so it doesn't really surprise me much. Thing is, those modelers; once the "real" amps are gone, what's left to model? An AxeFx 5150 patch that was "profiled" on a Kemper? :lol:

EDIT: Also, expect in a few years after a huge backlash for Peavey to bring it back to the states....but with a heftier price tag as well :agreed:

Perhaps it's time for programmers to create digital amps that aren't based on existing amps and maybe create tones that aren't possible with a tube/tranny amp.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Perhaps it's time for programmers to create digital amps that aren't based on existing amps and maybe create tones that aren't possible with a tube/tranny amp.

Which is something that Line 6 has been doing for close to 20 years now.

The thing is, it's not innovation that's not pushing tube/analog amps further, it's guitarists. You gotta realize, 90% of current guitarists choose to use amps designed between two and five decades ago, and that doesn't seem to be changing. Heck, even those using digital stuff are using models of them. :lol:

protest

Reaction score
I just don't understand the "support USA products" thing.
I've always been interested in quality and price, if a Chinese, Mexican, Korean, etc product is cheap and with good quality, I'll buy anytime over an USA product.

I think more people are concerned with the MIC thing rather than the not made in the US thing. Some people just have an aversion to Chinese made products due to things not necessarily related to that particular product.

I personally like to purchase USA made products if possible because I don't really get that opportunity much, and I'd always like to help small-mid sized American businesses if I can.

imijj

Reaction score
Well, I will never buy another Peavey product. Slick move PV, I'm sure the CFO and CEO will get a big bonus. I hope the Chinese government nationalizes all these US subsidised factories, and they all get sh*t canned.

The Chinese Communists are the most effective managers of capitalism in the entire world. Why would they nationalize a guitar amp factory? They're in the game for the same reason as everyone else. Don't be fooled by the name of the party.

Promit

Reaction score
Blast off!

Bugera6260_01.jpg

:lol:

Conveniently enough, these things are on sale at MF today for two freaking hundred dollars shipped. Stupid Deal of the Day | SDOTD | Musician's Friend

Spinedriver

Reaction score

It's pretty much what Tech21 does. Granted in the "Character" line, they do have the "Blonde" for Fender, "British" for Marshall, etc.. but they aren't exactly "models" of single amps pre-se. They're more "representations" of a brand of amp so although it might sound Marshall-ish, it's not designed to sound like a specific one (ie: JCM800, Plexi, etc..).

vick1000

Reaction score
The Chinese Communists are the most effective managers of capitalism in the entire world. Why would they nationalize a guitar amp factory? They're in the game for the same reason as everyone else. Don't be fooled by the name of the party.

Because they are using our system of economics to build their nation up, and reduce ours. All the money you spend on Chinese goods goes into their infrastructure and military. One they achieve what they feel is superiority, they won't care about "capitalism". That's also why they have designated zones to keep the two systems seperated, and their population isolated.

They are essentially using tactics developed by Sun Tsu that are centuries old. And the greedy globalists are playing right into their hands like naive virgins of the battlefield.

asher

So Did We
Reaction score
...and then, if they were stupid enough to do that, they'd suddenly have millions on millions of now unemployed factory workers who need jobs and have no money to spend in their domestic economy. Not to mention it's likely going to do bad stuff to their currency.

It's not a one way street, nor are we beholden to China the way people think we are...

Fretless

Knob Fiddler
Reaction score
...and then, if they were stupid enough to do that, they'd suddenly have millions on millions of now unemployed factory workers who need jobs and have no money to spend in their domestic economy. Not to mention it's likely going to do bad stuff to their currency.

It's not a one way street, nor are we beholden to China the way people think we are...

Couldn't agree more.

Back on topic though, as long as they sound good, I don't care where they are made. I like to buy USA made stuff, but only if it's mom and pop shop type stuff (granted that is because I can relate because I make gear too). Big name corps still making stuff in the USA is nice, but it's not too important at that level for me.

feraledge

Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?
Reaction score
The amps have barely hit the streets and the bias is already out of whack. Geez.

Can we stop with the 'Merica banter for the thread and just recognize that the move to China says nothing about the abilities of American vs Chinese workers, but everything to do with a general notion of quantity over quality. Obviously fine things have and certainly can come from China and plenty of wretched things come from the US. But Peavey is doing this because the labor is dirt cheap and the producers are more than willing to skirt safety and environmental issues. This isn't a question of individual workers and jobs.
And no government is really thinking that the production of 6505s is a sign of global economic power.

drgamble

Reaction score
This was on Undercover Boss. At the very end of the video they talk about shutting down the factories.

drgamble

Reaction score
This is incorrect. Another group said the same thing - the real reason is that they cannot find enough skilled workers to fit demand in a competitive market.

Post of proof:

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/4377765-post7.html

What is incorrect? I don't get it, it's a video of Peavey on Television. Hartley saying that there aren't skilled workers is something that I would call bs on anyway. Then again, a CEO of a large company would never lie, would they?

Status
Not open for further replies.
')