What if i plug a Blackstar HT-5H onto a 100w power amp through the cab output..?

• Thread starter AeonSolus
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AeonSolus

DO CEO / RHLC ©
Reaction score
I've heard that the Blackstar has a great sound and a good amount of distortion to play "Djent" stuff (what i mostly play), according to bulb that is... So the question is... what do i have the risk of damaging by plugging a power amp through the cab output? because i don't want that the power amp tube sound of the amp to dissapear if i plug through the fx-loop out, but i surely need more power, since the Blackstar is just 5 watts and i will need more power for live situations..

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AeonSolus

DO CEO / RHLC ©
Reaction score
Thing is i still want the sound of the poweramp tube through my speakers, that's where all it's goodness come from really.

yingmin

Parker über alles
Reaction score
Thing is i still want the sound of the poweramp tube through my speakers, that's where all it's goodness come from really.
That's all well and good, but power amp inputs are designed for a line-level signal. All the power tube saturation in the world isn't going to help you if you blow up the power amp or the head. Mic a cab or buy a tube power amp.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, there's no "risk" about it, you will almost definitely burn out the power amp, and quite possibly blow the output transformer in the head as well.

AeonSolus

DO CEO / RHLC ©
Reaction score
I remember that those palmer cab emulators let you plug a amp's speaker output to them, without any risk of blowing the transformer by doing so... i think it have some way of discharging the ohm load that the output gives just leaving the clear line-level signal. Can't i do some DIY simple thing like that?

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
i suppose you could get a dummy-load box, then run the line-out from that into a poweramp (hopefully a flat response one, solid state would work fine) and then into a guitar cab.

thats the only way i can think of, other than micing it up, if you want to keep the internal poweramp in the loop.

AeonSolus

DO CEO / RHLC ©
Reaction score
That's what i was just thinking! Getting an attenuator and running the outline to the external poweramp, would that work?

EDIT: HOLY FUCK!! those attenuators are hell expensive! :( anyone knows where to get a "dummy Loadbox"? or something cheap that does the "job"?

troyguitar

Reaction score
Weber miniMASS or microMASS are the cheapest things that come to mind as far as actual guitar-related products.

You could probably also just get a junk old speaker and build your own.

Weber miniMASS or microMASS are the cheapest things that come to mind as far as actual guitar-related products.

You could probably also just get a junk old speaker and build your own.

warlock7strEMG

Reaction score
I've heard that the Blackstar has a great sound and a good amount of distortion to play "Djent" stuff (what i mostly play), according to bulb that is... So the question is... what do i have the risk of damaging by plugging a power amp through the cab output? because i don't want that the power amp tube sound of the amp to dissapear if i plug through the fx-loop out, but i surely need more power, since the Blackstar is just 5 watts and i will need more power for live situations..

definitely not a good idea as the u will blow your amp up in some way, shape or form. but by more power im guessing you are wanting to power a 2x12 or 4x12 cab or something so u can use it live? well i can tell you first hand that a 5 watt tube head CAN and will power a 4x12 better than some might think. when i had my 5 watt Epiphone Valve
Junior head i plugged it into a friends 120 watt 4x12 Crate cab and it sounded great!!! had to give it bit more volume but it did fine. if this is what you are lookin to do there are 2 different approaches you can take and im not sure how spot on i am with this but u can either:

A)get a cab loaded with some speakers with lower power handling, such as Celestion Greenbacks, so that speakers will give that pushed sound without sounding underpowered

B)get a cab loaded with some highly efficient speakers, such as the V30's(100 db), Eminence The Governor's(102 db) or Eminence Wizard(103 db!!!!), and that way you will get a lil more volume to help make your 5 watts sound more powerful

hope this helps!!!!

newamerikangospel

Tonight.......you
Reaction score
Dude, I never turned mine up past half when playing with a drummer. Do you already have the head? Get and play with it first. You will probably not need more than 5 watts

And I did a rough calculation, that 5 watts is 35% of 100watts. And I have yet to turn my Framus past 3.5 "comfortably". Not a totally accurate response, but just food for thought.

troyguitar

Reaction score
When I had an Epi Valve Jr it was -almost- loud enough to play with a band. It was really annoying, I felt like 5% louder would have been good.

AeonSolus

DO CEO / RHLC ©
Reaction score
I think i'll just get a Webber 25W Load Dump, i just need the line out to amplify the sound further... one curious fact is that the power stage tube of the Blackstar is actually a Preamp "like" tube, although it's been proven that it delivers like a bigger amp. i wonder if the amp can be modified to admit a single EL34...new transformer/tube socket/ EL34 tube i guess? :scratch: maybe i'm asking too much. :shrug:

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
that would probably sound alot different.

at that point you could just run the fx-send into another higher wattage poweramp and save some work.

TMM

UUDDLRLRBAStart
Reaction score
All these guys have it... what you're trying to do is just all-around a bad idea. Even with a load box, you're still altering your tone, so you're not maintaining the HT5 poweramp's tone anyway. I really think your best bet is fx-out of the HT5 into a higher-wattage poweramp. If you aim for something with EL34's, that should still come out pretty close, tone and response-wise.

AeonSolus

DO CEO / RHLC ©
Reaction score
All these guys have it... what you're trying to do is just all-around a bad idea. Even with a load box, you're still altering your tone, so you're not maintaining the HT5 poweramp's tone anyway. I really think your best bet is fx-out of the HT5 into a higher-wattage poweramp. If you aim for something with EL34's, that should still come out pretty close, tone and response-wise.

How about setting my power amp frequency flat? i just want higher volume, not a tonal change of any kind, that's why i'm getting a Webber Mini Mass, which only has an impedance switch, a treble compensation switch in case you use long cables, and a volume pot, To me it doesn't sound that bad :shrug:

TMM

UUDDLRLRBAStart
Reaction score
How about setting my power amp frequency flat? i just want higher volume, not a tonal change of any kind, that's why i'm getting a Webber Mini Mass, which only has an impedance switch, a treble compensation switch in case you use long cables, and a volume pot, To me it doesn't sound that bad :shrug:

Go ahead and try it if you want. I'm just saying I don't have high hopes that it's going to work out the way you're expecting.

yingmin

Parker über alles
Reaction score
Please run the speaker output of an HT-5 into a power amp. Make sure you max out the volume on the HT-5. Video tape the results.

')