What if my bare knuckles dont fit?

Reaction score
i just got some bare knuckle painkillers from my friend christian as a graduation present. (he moved to maine and didn't have room to bring his guitar so i bought it from him. he had already ordered the pickups so he gave them to me. i am really stoked!)

but anyway, i got the pickups today and am in the process of putting them in the ibanez rg7421 and they don't really fit...

the pegs on the back are way long
the wires are on the wrong side so i would have to run them under the pickup (which i dont think will be a problem)
...well thats about it. my question was, can i cut the pegs on the back down a tiny bit in order for it to fit or is that a really bad idea?

thanks for the help.
(maybe i should just find a professional..haha)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jymellis

Talk To DeWalt
Reaction score
pegs? you mean the backs of the pole pieces? if so i had the same problem on my s7420. you dont want to cut the pieces from the pup since it wil change the sound. what you want to do is use a little chalk on the pieces and place them inside the pup cavity of the guitar. now you will have 7 little dots of chalk where the pieces are touching. use a drill with a slightly larger bit than the pup pieces to drill deeper into the body so that the pieces will sink into the guoitar and the pup will sit how you want. doo a very little bit at a time so you dont go all the way through. you should have more than enough room to play with (i did this succesfully to a S model which i MUCH thinner then an rg)) so you should have no problems with a rg!

Reaction score
sweet! thanks man! i'll give that a try, it should work fine.
what kind of S do you have?
i have had a s2170fb, the babinga top for a little over a year but i haven't touched it in 3 weeks since i got my 7 string. i feel bad.haha

thanks again, im sure that will work great.

jymellis

Talk To DeWalt
Reaction score
i have a S7420 flame maple (the one that i drilled)

DSCN6129.jpg

DSCN6209.jpg

DSCN6210.jpg

and a S7420 black pearl

DSCN6823-1.jpg

loktide

dotlike
Contributor
Reaction score
i drilled my 3120 to fit duncans, but you could actually simply return the pickups for some with short pole pieces. Then you just have to cut off the mounting ear's corners to fit 'em in a dimarzio route :yesway: