What inspired you to go 7

• Thread starter strychnine
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

strychnine

miami sucks
Reaction score
Shikaru said:
At The Gates used sevens?
at the gates just like carcass didnt use 7 string guitars but they tuned everything to B standard.

:)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff

Banned from Reality
Reaction score
I started wanting a 7 string because when I started playing, when I saw the green and black UV in an AMS catalog. Why? I thought it looked cool. Seriously.

I was 15, and what's cooler than having a 7 string in a sea of 6's?

Now I see the obvious benefits, but back then, that's why. 6 just lacks the heaviness, and tuning down makes you lose the top end.

People say "you can play everything on a 6 string that you can on a 7 string."

How about a low B power chord, then open D major chord, then suspended C chord, all in first position?

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
noodles said:
I joined a band that required me to play a seven. I wish I had a better story than that, but hey, I've got one now and I love it.

It's not much better than mine - I got into it because the guy Dave replaced (Matt Crooks) bought one. When I started playing with it over at his house one time, I realized that there was a lot of potential there...

eaeolian

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Oogadee Boogadee said:
I just bought Mike's LTD H207 this past December, despite many attempts to pass on it (drums come first for me). Been a long time coming.

Aren't you glad I'm lazy? :lol:

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Believe it or not, the symmetry, lol. It started to bug me that a six string didn't have a "middle" string.

Then one day I was transcribing a Strangers With Candy (now the band formerly known as Lifer) tune, and I realized they were tuned lower than I. So, I detuned my strat until I matched their pitch, tuned the other strings on my strat to match, checked against a tuner, then said to myself "Oh, that's B... I bet they use a 7." Then I played an E(now B) chord through my amp's clean channel, and heard the deepest, most resonant, most beautiful chord I'd ever heard. I was hooked, and immediately started planning on buying a 7.

CL7

Gangsta Guitarist
Reaction score
Fear Factory and chimaira(old chimaira) got me into 7 strings. I use to have a 6 string Jackson DKMG tuned in DROP A!!! I got my 1st 7 string guitar 2 years ago. It was an ibanez rg7420. It's probably the best guitar i've ever played and i'll probably be collecting them until the day i die.

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
eaeolian said:
It's not much better than mine - I got into it because the guy Dave replaced (Matt Crooks) bought one. When I started playing with it over at his house one time, I realized that there was a lot of potential there...

So, we both owe Matt? I bet you're going to blame him for us playing Mesas next...

giannifive

Occasional Poster
Contributor
Reaction score
For me it was a combination of Dave Weiner's album and the Satriani tune "Searching", which I couldn't play along with properly without a 7.

I bought my 7, then went back and discovered all the great 7-string music I had missed, like Dream Theater, earlier Vai, etc.

Oogadee Boogadee

ss.orggy biscuit
Forum MVP
Reaction score
noodles said:
So, we both owe Matt? I bet you're going to blame him for us playing Mesas next...

i blame matt for me having a noble and cooley alloy classic snare drum. damn him.

eaeolian

Super Moderator
Reaction score
noodles said:

Nah, we both wanted that endorsement. I blame Mesa for making the 3 channel Triples sound so good...

strychnine

miami sucks
Reaction score
eaeolian said:
Nah, we both wanted that endorsement. I blame Mesa for making the 3 channel Triples sound so good...

I beg to differ. the triple rectifier to me was just to muddy...
I didnt like it and sold it right after a year.

Leon

{##[====:::.
Contributor
Reaction score
for me, it was Tool.

i had just bought a trem equipped guitar (RG570), and gave my LP style fixed bridge guitar to my brother, who was starting out, and didn't have a guitar. well, it's a bitch to tune to drop-D on a floyd (i know it can be done sorta, with the fine tuning knobs, but i'm an intonation freak) to play Tool songs. so i kept my eyes open, and saw an ad for a fixed bridge RG on Jemsite, and wouldn't you know it... the damn thing had 7 strings :)

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
The RG 7620 was my inspiration. I wanted a seven string before I ever even heard of Ibanez. Used to play a Fender through a Laney amp, but I just wanted more bass without sacrificing my high strings. Also, I was jealous of the five string bass. Later, I saw the Universe sevens and knew it'd be years before I could swing that much cash. Then I got lucky, Ibanez decided to make a mid-price seven, so I bought one.

The first song I played on my seven string was 'The Mirror,' then of course, I had to learn 'Lie.' When Symphony X's 'Divine Wings of Tragedy' came out, I thought MJR used a seven on the title track, because of the low C chord, but now I know he used drop-d a step down.

This is an awesome thread, btw!

strychnine

miami sucks
Reaction score
yay, i've only been here for hours and I got a good comment on my thread :D woo!

velocity

yes... i AM faster
Reaction score
don't laugh... i saw the whitesnake video where steve was playing a swirl uv. the one where he throws it in the stage and plays it like a piano (ala jeff healey) i said to myself what the f#ck kind of guitar is that?!?
oh and LIE from dream theater....

kentheterrible

cheer up emo kid
Reaction score
I never even thought of a 7 until I saw Korn. I kinda wanted one but at the time I was a drummer. Then, a billion eons later, I was blessed to have seen Unearth totally by accident and they killed everything. I wasn't down with 7s to start cause it was all slow and I came from total punk roots. Unearth sounded awesome, was absolutely heavy and slayed at speeds previously unheard by my person:bowdown:. Since that time, 2 and half years ago, I've had 3 7s and am not looking back, unless it's to yell at the drummer to speed it up.:shred:
rock on.
ken

maskofduality

Brandeis Sophomore
Reaction score
i remember because of korn, i wanted a seven from the get go. i had a six at first and then i bought the seven i have now. for 3 years i played at an okay level, i honestly believed i was good enough to match korn (i still do lol). then it got boring. i listend to kse, cob, and in flames and all their 6 string stuff and i was about to give up on the 7. then i went out and bought train of thought in march 2005 and from their i've been hooked on 7s (this dying soul was such an awesome song to me back then... however i've since replaced it with The Glass Prison as my favorite 7 song)

NextInLine

Reaction score
I wanted to have a 7 string till the first day I saw one. And after I started listening to Nevermore, it became a requirement...

Latest posts

')