What inspired you to go 7

• Thread starter strychnine
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

strychnine

miami sucks
Reaction score
dunno
in my band one im the one all the way to the right that some girls said I looked anorexic :nuts:

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
I didn't know Emporer used seven strings...hmm.

I think 1994/1995 were big years for seven string guitar, with Korn and Dream Theater. Keep in mind, though, there were a lot of Jazz players who had been using sevens before Head, Monkey, and John Petrruci were even swimming around in their dad's nutsacks.

strychnine

miami sucks
Reaction score
probably the best work they put out was the prometheus album...im not a fan by any means but some good stuff...gets cheesy...but good.

Pauly

Not so local lefty
Reaction score
strychnine said:
probably the best work they put out was the prometheus album...im not a fan by any means but some good stuff...gets cheesy...but good.

Yeah, the 'tr00' lot might not think it's that great, but as a 'metal' album, it's AWESOME. It's one of those albums that's feels too short even though it isn't because it's so good it leaves you wanting more...well for me anyway. I smell no cheese in it!

strychnine

miami sucks
Reaction score
the orchestration is poor and the keys make it cheesy for me. doesnt mean anything, just to me that is.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Couldn't agree more folks. Emperor's last album was completely amazing... one of my all-time favorite albums. Brutal but with oodles of melody, atmosphere and dissonance. I wish more black metal bands would try the whole "quality production" thing like Emperor did on this album. Dimmu/Old Man's Child have definitely benefited from it, as have Cradle and the like. Most black metal is like, a metal zone pedal through some awful solid-state amp. Emperor's use of Mesas with Ibanez 7s sounded great on Prometheus.

It's a damn shame Emperor disbanded before they could make more albums with their new sound.

PS: The sound quality on that video is a disgrace, if I had never heard Emperor before and watched that I'd be like, ACK!

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Beelzebloke said:
Hehe... who else here is on metal-archives.com??

Well, us, for one. I need to get them to update the picture, though - there's only two guys left in the band from that one!

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
Hmm.. weird chain of events i think. I kinda just thought it'd be a cool idea. Lots of reading at the jemsite 7 string forum before this place existed. sounded really cool. And i like death metal.. So i gave it a shot. Also,i read a bit about Rusty Cooley and francesco fareri. So that kinda influenced me too.

anarchistwar

Reaction score
i wanted a baritone guitar with the extended scale lenghth originally (Damien EX Baritone), and was trying out different guitars and really didn't like the schecter neck,
I really like standard tuning (i.e. no drop D)
and the other guys in my band love to do Drop D stuff
so i tried a 7 string cuz it had the low B and i could reach the D they had,
tried a stephen carpents from ESP and fell in love with the widder neck and the low B sound....

so i found one within my price range and bought it (WG 587)

7stringninja

Southpaw Bastard
Reaction score
anarchistwar said:
i wanted a baritone guitar with the extended scale lenghth originally (Damien EX Baritone), and was trying out different guitars and really didn't like the schecter neck,
I really like standard tuning (i.e. no drop D)
and the other guys in my band love to do Drop D stuff
so i tried a 7 string cuz it had the low B and i could reach the D they had,
tried a stephen carpents from ESP and fell in love with the widder neck and the low B sound....

so i found one within my price range and bought it (WG 587)

Stephen Carpenter's switch to a 7-string caught me by total surprise.

In my last REAL band, we covered Deftones songs from time to time, and those were the only songs I used my 6-string for (in standard tuning none-the-less).

Then when "Around The Fur" came out, he was down-tuned by 1/2-step PLUS the drop D (D-flat really) on the 6th. That totally threw me off. I thought maybe Chino was losing some range, and they had to accomidate for a new vocal range.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
No, he was just being influenced a lot by bands with very low tunings like Meshuggah and Fear Factory so he switched. It's funny if you look at the tuning progression on their albums.

Adrenaline: E-->Around the Fur: C#-->White Pony: C-->Deftones: Ab

Vince

Contributor
Reaction score
What inspired me to go to 7?

Lie
The Mirror
Caught in a Web
A Change of Seasons
Just Let Me Breathe

Then when the Korn fad hit and 7s got uber-popular, I decided to pony up the cash and get a really nice one. My first 7 was the RG7CT, and I loved it. I've been a 7-string guitarist ever since. IIRC I bought it either in late 1999 or early 2000. Before then, sometimes I had a guitar in B-B tuning with some heavy strings, and I had written two songs on the 7 before I ever got my hands on one. One of those songs was an early version of a piece that eventually became "Trail of Light" from my solo album.

I :wub: 7-string guitars.

Pauly

Not so local lefty
Reaction score
zimbloth said:
No, he was just being influenced a lot by bands with very low tunings like Meshuggah and Fear Factory so he switched. It's funny if you look at the tuning progression on their albums.

Adrenaline: E-->Around the Fur: C#-->White Pony: C-->Deftones: Ab

Next album is going to be F# or something silly, the Meshuggah worship continues.

Latest posts

')