What inspired you to go 7

• Thread starter strychnine
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Steve Vai put me on to it.
Then I joined a band where the other guitarplayer had a 7, after a month or so I found a bargain on one and I never went back to 6

David

je t'aime
Contributor
Reaction score
steve vai's seven string video... random thing from the internet, and The Glass Prison.

strychnine

miami sucks
Reaction score
david, I think your talkin about the ibanez promotion package...before him was wes boreland and after was dino I believe...that should be what your talkin bout.

David

je t'aime
Contributor
Reaction score
strychnine said:
david, I think your talkin about the ibanez promotion package...before him was wes boreland and after was dino I believe...that should be what your talkin bout.
it might be, I dunno. Everyone's probably seen it. It was the first seven string thing I learned, it's simplistic, has some cool fast parts, and just flows. Purple backing thing, uses a UV, says something like "Here's some of the things you can do with a seven string, or at least I like to do with them."

Korbain

Stay negative!
Reaction score
i'll be honest, KoRn got me into the 7 string. i got into korn young, when i was like 8 lol. so by the time i was 10 i wanted to play guitar. I ain't ashamed of getting into a 7 string cause of korn even though most of you's don't consider them metal. But if it wasn't for KoRn i wouldn't be playing guitar at all :eek: And just the sound of the deep crunching chords and ability to play high stuff was great. so when i was a better guitarist, and could afford! i bought a 7321 lol. now i don't use 6 strings, anymore. A 7 string just offers so many more options to your music, the ability to mix highs and lows, and make the music really dark. its just so good! love 7 strings for life!

juggernaut

Reaction score
i wanted to buy a custom shop quality guitar because i was outbid on ebay for a custom shop korina jackson. i was jonesing for something and i came across a bc rich ignitor custom 7-string. didn't like the shape at first but i collect ugly monster stuff so why not an ugly guitar. it just so happens i am really into nevermore and only found out that they used 7's after i had bought mine. great timing.

D

Desecrated

I make music for horrormovies and I needed both bass and really high notes, so a 7 was the best way to do it, now I want a 8-string.

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
For me it was Korn. But there's a little history to it. When I used to play six strings through the years I would tune lower and lower. Eventually I wound up tuned to C sharp. When I decided I wanted to start a new project I decided to get a seven and tune down to "A" like Korn since I love the sound.

Rev.

Reaction score
Dream Theater. Glass Prison.

But in an odd way. My six (though I'd heard of sevens before, thanks to conversations with friends on a non-music site, but I'd never been able to find one in a store) was tuned down to drop-B . . . Emperor fan . . . though I started downtuning becouse of Mayhem . . . and I was playing along with Glass Prison and said "Hmm, I'll look up the tabs . . . " and when I did I couldn't get them across at all with the six-string.

This probably would've happened earlier, but I didn't have the chops at all to play Emperor. Odd, you think, that I was fine with DT but not Emperor? Fear the trueness of the blackness that Emperor forges and administers. *chuckles*

Eventually I gave up and got a seven. One of these days I'll get around to selling my six . . . which is still either in drop-B or in C#.

Reaction score
strychnine said:
Why did we all choose 7 strings? what made you want to use one? In all honesty after I heard some of meshuggah's albums I was like "I hate tunning my guitar down to do this...let me go get one." and I found the rg7321 for 100 bucks at a shop near me :D
I heard Evoken and decided there was no real doom in E :)

Kamin

Reaction score
Mercenary, Dream Theater, Unearth, Shadows Fall and $2000 to spend on a guitar...

Donnie

Forum MVP
Reaction score
For me it was seeing Rocky George from Suicidal Tendencies playing a UV7PWH in the video for "You Can't Bring Me Down". It wasn't more than a couple of days after that I went to the music store and they had the multi-color UV and the white one. The white one was classy as all hell so I grabbed it. Back in 1990, when I got it, it cost me $1200 brand new.

FredGrass

Serial Chiller
Reaction score
London, Ontario - even the trees here are metal
For me, it was the fact that it seemed to be a little more than "just" a guitar. It was something more, something different, and I knew it would allow me greater freedoms in exploration and songwriting, even just playing. I planned on playing a seven from the start but what I wanted wasn't available, and I didn't have the funds together. So... a friend of mine bought a Pacifica Strat copy (red/white 012, HSS) and left it at my crib so his baby's mom didn't find out. This was in, like, June or July of last year. By the end of August I had the funds together to order the parts for my guitar... A seven-string, swamp ash Iceman with maple/ebony neck and 1-7/8" nut width. Got the Warmoth single coil for the neck and a DP704 (Evo 7) for the bridge. I figured this will be a good combo because I'll have the bridge for when I need a humbucker tone and the neck for more bluesy or jazzy tones. It took forever to get the money to paint it, finally got that, and I'm not happy with it, so I'm gonna strip and repaint it while I'm waiting for the other parts. It'll be tuned either standard or AEADGBE. It's got a little onboard overdrive circuit that I thought would be fun to mess with, too. Fixed bridge, one tone, one volume, and a three-way toggle. It's pretty cool, I had a full Photoshop chop done before I even ordered a part. Uhhh... I guess I find it hard to stop talking when I start talkin about my axe-to-be. Sorry about that. Haha.

Cancer

Gazzmask
Reaction score
Korbain said:
I ain't ashamed of getting into a 7 string cause of korn even though most of you's don't consider them metal. But if it wasn't for KoRn i wouldn't be playing guitar at all

Korn's cool, every generation of guitarist needs there version of AC/DC.

Latest posts

')