What inspired you to go 7

• Thread starter strychnine
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Donnie said:
For me it was seeing Rocky George from Suicidal Tendencies playing a UV7PWH in the video for "You Can't Bring Me Down". It wasn't more than a couple of days after that I went to the music store and they had the multi-color UV and the white one. The white one was classy as all hell so I grabbed it. Back in 1990, when I got it, it cost me $1200 brand new.
No shit...I remember that video and song too, awesome, I had no idea he was playing a UV7PWH though.....as I said in my earlier post, Trey had one when I saw him live in 1994, not only did his playing and sound impressed me but also the looks of the UV7PWH, what a gorgeous guitar I thought. :agreed:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Bregaladar

Nichts
Reaction score
I played a Schecter Revenger 7 in a band 5-6 years ago which covered Korn a lot and our own stuff tuned down to G, sometime later I quit the band and eventually lost interest in 7 string. Presently, I became obsessed with Petrucci and decided to try out an RG7321 since it was cheap and here I am. I think I found my niche with seven.

Jerich

Contributor
Reaction score
i purchased a UV one of the first off the Ibanez assembly line...due to a freind working at Ibanez at the time...and I was hooked...I had only heard JAZZ players use them before...then it was alex Gregory/Vai/(Derek Taylor tuned to B with six string) they all turned me on.....Since i had played 6 string fretless bass for 5 years previous i figured it would fit me fine....I was right.....

blindvomit

Fierce!!!
Reaction score
This guy:

72405jeff059le.jpg

Once I went seven I've never looked back.

angryman

Djentleman
Reaction score
Mynydd y Garreg, Carmarthenshire, South Wales.
Shannon said:
I had been tuning my 6-string down for years & I decided I wanted that plus my high E string back.

Carcass, Fear Factory, Morbid Angel & a bunch of early-mid 90s grindcore bands from Earache Records contributed to my fascination with lower tunings. Then Korn came along playing lower than B.

Thats pretty much exactly the same reason i changed to 7's :yesway:

Memq

THE RG LOVER!
Reaction score
Roland777 said:
To be honest, the seed was planted by Korn.

well, me, too.

But the main reason is Wes Borland and i wanted to tune my droped b 6 string tuning with a Low F#.

see ya
memq

Pablo

Resident Wanker
Reaction score
eaeolian said:
Don't even tell me you don't know it's a Spinal Tap parody.
Ah, the youth of today... what can you do :nuts:

Actually, my first 7 is being sent to me from Japan as I write this. I've been playing guitar for the better part of my 29 years on this dodgy blue planet... and have stuck religiously to 6-string DRADNATS tuning. However, every now and again the idea of owning a 7-string has popped up - only to be dismissed and the money put towards e new 6-string and a truckload of beer.

I came close to getting a 7 when Awake came out, almost bought one after seeing Petrucci on the FII tour, and had only the New York stores had any decent 7s on display, I would have probably taken one home with me in March.

What eventually gave me the push was the drop-a tuning of our bass player's 5-string bass - I simply grew sick and tired of playing the 5th as the bass note to keep up with his low-down wankage :fawk:

So now I (unbeknownst to my bandmates) have an Ikebe-Gakki HRG7 Custom comming in - it'll be fun to see their reaction :hbang:

Cheers

Eske

7 Dying Trees

Forum MVP
Reaction score
7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bru
What inspired me to pick up a 7? Seeing Trey Azagtoth with one and the morbid angel albums, in particular the song god of emptiness.

After that I spent years wanting one untill i finally came into some cash and took the plunge back at the turn of the milenium or there abouts.

Rick

ALL HAIL DJOD
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Initially, it was Korn and Limp Bizkit. Then when I saw Fear Factory, I knew I wanted to play guitar.

Mykie

Fatal Havoc
Reaction score
I was drawn to the lowness, the heavier crunch, the power, ya know...

TonyFlyingSquirrel

Cherokee Warrior
Reaction score
IT WAS A BIT OF VAI WITH PASSION & WARFARE, BUT WHEN JOHN PETRUCCI STARTED USING IT ON AWAKE, I FIGURED THERE WAS A COOL WAY TO GO LOW WITHOUT ALWAYS HAVING TO DETUNE.

NOW I'M ADDICTED, I LOVE THE ADDITIONAL RANGE.

AT FIRST, I JUST STARTED ADAPTING IT TO SOME OF OUR ORIGINAL SONGS, LIKE TRANSPOSING DOWN AN OCTAVE ON THE LAST VERSE OR CHORUS, JUST CHANGING THINGS UP A BIT, & IT ADDED A HIGHTENED EMPHASIS ON THOSE SECTIONS OF THE SONGS, REALLY BUILDING UP THE INTENSITY.

right_to_rage

Avant Temporal
Reaction score
The first two songs I heard that had seven string guitars were Mind Storm by Joe Satriani and Acid Rain by Liquid Tension Experiment. The band that made me want to buy a 7 string was the Deftones. :hbang: Also guys like Jeff Loomis are a push in the right direction.

Kamijin

Reaction score
I think it was when i first heard MESHUGGAH play "NMCC". Till this day they're still my favorite band.

Ancestor

Contributor
Reaction score
I was at a Michael Angelo clinic and a guy had a white UV. I thought it looked cool, so I got the uvbk.

Reaction score
APOCALYPTICA!!!
I was looking for something wich sounds like à cello and wasn't to far from my guitar in order I can plugged it into an amp and also not as expensive as a good cello!!!

Luvuvibanez

I have the.....
Contributor
Reaction score
Right after I got P&W, and saw the vid for ,For The Love Of God. I just had to have that low B, and they look cooler.

')