What is a good guitar for beginners?

• Thread starter Therion143
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Therion143

Reaction score
I want to get it from Music123 on amazon.

Here are the results for Ibanez Rg series.
Music123 @ Amazon.com: Electric Guitars - Guitars / Ibanez / ibanez rg /

Which is the best one that's under 500$?

Neck shape is purely a personal preference.
There is no "better" for "style X". Whatever music you like, half of it has likely been recorded with Gibsons anyway.

And if you are a true beginner, forget about modelers, they require a bit of knowledge to sound good. Get something like a Roland Cube with headphone out, you'll thank me later.

This has just crossed my mind. Amps are too heavy for me to ship cheaply. Anything on the lighter side? Like, really light?

I don't want to do this, but if really light ones aren't a viable option, I'd have to look for a store that sells it and get it here instead.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SP1N3SPL1TT3R

Reaction score
I also forgot to mention, if you're going to plan on using different tunings, avoid getting a guitar with a tremolo ("whammy bar"). Say if you tune down half a step, to E flat tuning, you will have make adjustments to the tremolo. It's not difficult to do but it's a pain in the ass.

johnny_ace

Reaction score
I'm a bit confused. Can you point out to a specific amp modeler that you'd recommend? And how does it work out? Guitar>Amp modeler>Headphones ?

Anything else I should look out to besides those?

How does this work? Connect it with a usb to a computer and then connect the guitar to it? Do I plug the headphones to the computer or to this? Does this need certain software to run?

USB to computer, guitar to that,Headphones to that and comes with the software

Sephael

Divine Paradøx
Contributor
Reaction score
My advice, if you have, for all intents and purposes, never touched a guitar in your life (like you have no friends that play that have let you just make noise on their guitar), get a simple cheap beginner combo set such as:
Ibanez Jumpstart MIKRO electric guitar and amp package:Amazon:Musical Instruments

Guitar, amp that you can play through headphones for quiet practice, gig bag, strap etc. And it's cheap. No being tied to a computer.

If you stick with it a year then you should look into getting better gear. By that time you will know what you do or don't like about your guitar. It would seriously be stupid to go out and spend $350 on some of the guitars people are suggesting (plus the cost of amp and other accessories plus what ever price increase your part of the globe might suffer from) when you don't even know what you want in a guitar yet.

Therion143

Reaction score
USB to computer, guitar to that,Headphones to that and comes with the software
Can I use it without connecting it to the computer? Like, connect it to a power outlet and connect the guitar and headphones to it or something?

My advice, if you have, for all intents and purposes, never touched a guitar in your life (like you have no friends that play that have let you just make noise on their guitar), get a simple cheap beginner combo set such as:
Ibanez Jumpstart MIKRO electric guitar and amp package:Amazon:Musical Instruments

Guitar, amp that you can play through headphones for quiet practice, gig bag, strap etc. And it's cheap. No being tied to a computer.

If you stick with it a year then you should look into getting better gear. By that time you will know what you do or don't like about your guitar. It would seriously be stupid to go out and spend $350 on some of the guitars people are suggesting (plus the cost of amp and other accessories plus what ever price increase your part of the globe might suffer from) when you don't even know what you want in a guitar yet.

That's too heavy. Is there a really light amp I can use instead? Or something different at all that works in its place?

mcd

stuff and thangs
Reaction score
just get a cheap squire and a rogue amp....most players start on hand me downs and cheap gear to begin with. Learn the basics then upgrade as you progress

phugoid

Reaction score
Do you have any other excuse to hop over to Dubai? It would be my pleasure to bring you shopping here - we have one excellent shop and lots of bad ones.

I've never been to Kuwait, but don't be so sure about the prices. Here in Dubai many items can be bought at or near USA list prices (and way better than UK :lol:).

My advice is to go with a quick start kit that includes guitar and a small practice amp, as long as it's name-brand stuff (Ibanez or Fender/Squier for example). Make sure the amp lets you plug headphones in. I think for a beginner it's really important to have a real (even if small) amp, because when everyone is out of the house you can crank it up a little and make some noise!

Don't worry about details like neck thickness, or any of that. Just guitar, picks, cable, amp and a strap so you can play standing up.

If you're in the area, PM me and I'll give you my mobile. Rock on!

Therion143

Reaction score
just get a cheap squire and a rogue amp....most players start on hand me downs and cheap gear to begin with. Learn the basics then upgrade as you progress

I've been looking at those amps and they're much lighter than the ones that've been suggested. I've seen one that's 7~8 pounds, but still, shipping it would cost more than its actual cost. So I guess I'd have to probably look around for someone here instead. I'll ask around for shops that sell them.

Since I don't know what they have, is there specific things I should look out for or avoid when getting one? All I know is it has to have a headphone output.

Do you have any other excuse to hop over to Dubai? It would be my pleasure to bring you shopping here - we have one excellent shop and lots of bad ones.

I've never been to Kuwait, but don't be so sure about the prices. Here in Dubai many items can be bought at or near USA list prices (and way better than UK :lol:).

My advice is to go with a quick start kit that includes guitar and a small practice amp, as long as it's name-brand stuff (Ibanez or Fender/Squier for example). Make sure the amp lets you plug headphones in. I think for a beginner it's really important to have a real (even if small) amp, because when everyone is out of the house you can crank it up a little and make some noise!

Don't worry about details like neck thickness, or any of that. Just guitar, picks, cable, amp and a strap so you can play standing up.

If you're in the area, PM me and I'll give you my mobile. Rock on!

Last time I've went to dubai was six~eight years ago or so. I had a couple of opportunities to go back there again since then, but passed on. I don't think I'd be going there anytime soon, but thanks for your offer. What kind of music do you play btw?

Sephael

Divine Paradøx
Contributor
Reaction score
That's too heavy. Is there a really light amp I can use instead? Or something different at all that works in its place?

The amp is only 8 lbs (3.6kg or so)

If you are dead set on just a headphone amp, Vox makes a metal toned version of their amplug. I'd suggest getting it and then like the Twin version for clean playing. When you decide you want other people to here you they have their little cab (only 296g) or you just plug into a pair of computer speakers.

Therion143

Reaction score
The amp is only 8 lbs (3.6kg or so)

If you are dead set on just a headphone amp, Vox makes a metal toned version of their amplug. I'd suggest getting it and then like the Twin version for clean playing. When you decide you want other people to here you they have their little cab (only 296g) or you just plug into a pair of computer speakers.

Is this the one?
Amazon.com: Vox amPlug Metal Guitar Headphone Amp: Musical Instruments

Also, is this the twin version?
Amazon.com: Vox amPlug Metal Guitar Headphone Amp: Musical Instruments

Couldn't I adjust the settings on the first one to make it suitable for clean playing?

Sephael

Divine Paradøx
Contributor
Reaction score
Yep, those are the ones. Every review I have looked at says the Metal just doesn't do cleans. You could hold off on getting one for cleans until you try out the Metal. You can go to Vox's website and listen to sound clips of each model.

Also, invest in a couple pairs of rechargeable batteries if you get on.

Belleal

Reaction score
Get a round neck Dobro, by Oscar Schmidt. Set ya back a couple hundred US$. Gonna get a pretty decent acoustic that's gonna get better & better w/ age, as well as, the ability to plug it in to multiple pedals/amps. Only 6 strings though, bud...but then again you are young

UV7BK4LIFE

Schecter A7 addict
Reaction score
I listen to Heavy metal, thrash, death, black, doom, grindcore and a lot of their subgenres. I'm clueless as to what to get, but I'm getting it from amazon. And I learned that not all guitars have the same neck width, so something really thin I think would be preferable. What else should I be looking for? Yeah, so I don't know anything really. What are good guitars for beginners?

Get a used Godin Redline I, II or III. They are THE most underrated guitars under $500. Plays like a dream, action is insanely low without fretbuzz, factory setup is near perfect, comes with really good pickups for the price (EMG). Made in Canada, assembled in USA. Beats the shit out of that Indonesian and Chinese crap from Ibanez and LTD (in that specific price range, mind you).

GOD5787_z_cQ_-Godin-Redline-3-Elektrik-Gitar-Trans-Red-Flame-Maple-_1.jpg

As for the neck profile, it is a bit more beefy than most "metal" brands but very, very fast.

Usually sells for around $200 used in mint condition. :scream:

phugoid

Reaction score
Last time I've went to dubai was six~eight years ago or so. I had a couple of opportunities to go back there again since then, but passed on. I don't think I'd be going there anytime soon, but thanks for your offer. What kind of music do you play btw?

Still trying to figure that out. For a while I was playing death metal, now I'm trying to decide between hell metal and reincarnation metal... :scratch:

')