What is a good guitar for beginners?

• Thread starter Therion143
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Therion143

Reaction score
I listen to Heavy metal, thrash, death, black, doom, grindcore and a lot of their subgenres. I'm clueless as to what to get, but I'm getting it from amazon. And I learned that not all guitars have the same neck width, so something really thin I think would be preferable. What else should I be looking for? Yeah, so I don't know anything really. What are good guitars for beginners?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MistaSnowman

Play It LOUD!!!
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! :)

Ibanez is the guitar brand most associated with thin necks, but from there your choices in potential first guitars are many. How much are you planning to spend on the guitar? Keep in mind you'd have to budget for an amp/amp modeller as well.

Tyler

Reaction score
check out the ibanez RG series or some schecters/ltds as well! If you go to a guitar shop and just noodle around on different brands, it can give you a good idea of what kind of guitar you like as far as playability and everything since everyone has certain preferences.

Welcome to the forum as well! :)

JLP2005

Chief Knuckledragger
Reaction score
Every guitar is different. Some mass-scale luthiers are favored in different ways over others. Since you live in what I assume to be Kuwait, I have no idea if there are local stores nearby that you can go to and physically try out a few guitar models from different manufacturors. You want to buy nice-- not twice.

What styles of music do you favor?

And, as a heads up-- nearly everyone here you ask is going to recommend an Ibanez guitar-- and for good fucking reason. Even though I am a tried-and-true PRS owner, Ibanez makes seriously great guitars,

Therion143

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! :)

Ibanez is the guitar brand most associated with thin necks, but from there your choices in potential first guitars are many. How much are you planning to spend on the guitar? Keep in mind you'd have to budget for an amp/amp modeller as well.

Thanks.

Is it recommended that I not start out with a thin neck? I wouldn't mind learning to play with either, but if it really doesn't make a difference, thin necks sound like they'd be easier to learn. I don't know though, I haven't tried both to really say.

How much am I willing to spend? I guess not too much, but I don't have an idea of how beginner guitars cost so I didn't include a price range in my original post.

Also about amps, is there a way I can use headphones instead or something, as I can't make too much noise. I've heard about headphone amps, what about those?

check out the ibanez RG series or some schecters/ltds as well! If you go to a guitar shop and just noodle around on different brands, it can give you a good idea of what kind of guitar you like as far as playability and everything since everyone has certain preferences.

Welcome to the forum as well!
Any specific models?
Most of the places I've been to where they sell guitars, I've only seen acoustics or classical guitars or display. I'll ask around though and check out other places.

And thanks.

Every guitar is different. Some mass-scale luthiers are favored in different ways over others. Since you live in what I assume to be Kuwait, I have no idea if there are local stores nearby that you can go to and physically try out a few guitar models from different manufacturors. You want to buy nice-- not twice.

What styles of music do you favor?

And, as a heads up-- nearly everyone here you ask is going to recommend an Ibanez guitar-- and for good fucking reason. Even though I am a tried-and-true PRS owner, Ibanez makes seriously great guitars,

Yeah, everything is ridiculously overpriced compared to what the prices are in other countries. That's why I'm going to order from amazon.

Most of what I listen to is metal.

Thanks everyone for your help!

Narrillnezzurh

Sir Clipsalot
Reaction score
Also about amps, is there a way I can use headphones instead or something, as I can't make too much noise. I've heard about headphone amps, what about those?

If you plan on using headphones you'll want some sort of amp modeler, rather than an actual amp. A headphone amp is a different thing entirely ;)

johnny_ace

Reaction score
If you plan on using headphones you'll want some sort of amp modeler, rather than an actual amp. A headphone amp is a different thing entirely ;)

or a good DAW/ sound card... when i deployed i took an M-audio Fast track usb with me it's small on the cheap side not only can you record of of it but it allows you to play a song either on youtube,vlc or whatever you use and mix you guitar into your headphones aswell. and if you want to record something you're set,

as for guitar it depends on many things like stated above by everyone else...what i tell people the important factor is will you end up getting bored because you arent progressing like you want too which is a big mistake. Skill takes time and practice, so try to find something on the affordable side then if you really get serious go for the better stuff or upgrade what you got.

i started with a Squier Affinity telecaster loved it still have it..very modified now...but at the time it gave me what i wanted...to learn how to play...im sure mostly everyone started with an affordable model maybe even used...so check out pawn shops/craigslists ect you'll be surprised and might find a gem at an affordable price..

the guitar dosent make the player it's just an instrument

Therion143

Reaction score
^My soundcard is Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD.

Is there a way where I can plug it to my computer directly or something and not have to deal with all that other stuff, or is that not recommended?

What is that? I tried googling it but not a lot came up.

johnny_ace

Reaction score
^My soundcard is Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD.

Is there a way where I can plug it to my computer directly or something and not have to deal with all that other stuff, or is that not recommended.

it's straight USB you install it and when you want to put it, away unplug it. i use it on my laptop usuallly ranges maybe $99?

not too many plug ins an/ in for a guitar and mic out for speakers /headphones too but to start it's a good deal

M-Audio Fast Track MKII USB Audio Interface with Pro Tools SE | GuitarCenter

Basti

not much space to wr
Reaction score
There are many upsides to owning a piece of junk as a first axe too. i.e. you'll value your second guitar that much more, you don't risk wasting money unnecessarily in case you go off it and obviously you'll have more money, etc...

My advice: it takes time and experience to develop a taste in guitars. Get any one you like the look of and doesn't cost too much and unlock all its secrets by developing as a player. Heck the way I see it you could take any piece of junk all the way to stardom, it's not about the guitar at all so don't start getting caught up in gear addiction (ask anyone on here, it's both a curse and a blessing, at least give it time :lol: ) just go for it man, best of luck!!
(oh, you might like the look of Bc Rich guitars, won't be great quality but for your style you might find some sentimental value in it)

Discoqueen

Dang tootin
Reaction score
Even though you are planning on buying the guitar through Amazon I'd suggest that you go to a music store (if there's on close enough to you) and try some out! You might not know what to look for exactly but it'd be good just to go see what feels best in your lap and what looks good in person.
If you can't get to a store I would suggest and Epiphone or Squire... they're kind of 'generic' instruments as far as specs and features (this will also be able to inform you a bit about neck profile and fret size and body style too so in the future you have more to reference when buying a guitar offline!) but even if you decide not to keep the instrument because you feel like moving on to a better one or find that guitar isn't for you you can prolly make a trade simply because they are big names.
This was my first guitar:
Amazon.com: Epiphone LP Special II Les Paul Electric Guitar, Vintage Sunburst: Musical Instruments
This would be a step up:
Amazon.com: Epiphone Les Paul Studio Electric Guitar, Ebony: Musical Instruments
Fender/squire:
Amazon.com: Fender Squier® Affinity Telecaster® Electric Guitar, 2 Tone Sunburst: Musical Instruments

STAY AWAY FROM: A guitar with a whammy bar! Tremelo systems can complicate things, for sure, so I'd recommend a 'regular' hard tail bridge because you can't fudge it up as easily as a trem.

redstone

Reaction score
Maybe a 2nd-hand Godin Redline HB, if you can find one... It's a damn well designed guitar for the price, and still useful after buying better guitars, so it's actually hard to find a reseller but... you can try anyway.

johnny_ace

Reaction score
Even though you are planning on buying the guitar through Amazon I'd suggest that you go to a music store (if there's on close enough to you) and try some out! You might not know what to look for exactly but it'd be good just to go see what feels best in your lap and what looks good in person.
If you can't get to a store I would suggest and Epiphone or Squire... they're kind of 'generic' instruments as far as specs and features (this will also be able to inform you a bit about neck profile and fret size and body style too so in the future you have more to reference when buying a guitar offline!) but even if you decide not to keep the instrument because you feel like moving on to a better one or find that guitar isn't for you you can prolly make a trade simply because they are big names.
This was my first guitar:
Amazon.com: Epiphone LP Special II Les Paul Electric Guitar, Vintage Sunburst: Musical Instruments
This would be a step up:
Amazon.com: Epiphone Les Paul Studio Electric Guitar, Ebony: Musical Instruments
Fender/squire:
Amazon.com: Fender Squier® Affinity Telecaster® Electric Guitar, 2 Tone Sunburst: Musical Instruments

STAY AWAY FROM: A guitar with a whammy bar! Tremelo systems can complicate things, for sure, so I'd recommend a 'regular' hard tail bridge because you can't fudge it up as easily as a trem.

yup i agree like i stated before this was mi first guitar

29125_393198060938_6849207_n.jpg

turned into this

29125_393198030938_5061939_n.jpg

and still one of my favriots

SP1N3SPL1TT3R

Reaction score
What is your budget, for the guitar and amp?

Also, I'd stay away from active pickups (EMG 81, Blackouts, etc.), if you're not getting a tube amp. Solid state equipment sounds even worse, when you run active pups through SS based stuff.

sniperfreak223

B.C. Rich loyalist
Reaction score
Honestly, it's a question only you can answer. I personally play everything before I buy, my recommendation is to play several different brands and styles until you find one that feels right to you.

Therion143

Reaction score

I'm a bit confused. Can you point out to a specific amp modeler that you'd recommend? And how does it work out? Guitar>Amp modeler>Headphones ?

Anything else I should look out to besides those?

it's straight USB you install it and when you want to put it, away unplug it. i use it on my laptop usuallly ranges maybe $99?

not too many plug ins an/ in for a guitar and mic out for speakers /headphones too but to start it's a good deal

M-Audio Fast Track MKII USB Audio Interface with Pro Tools SE | GuitarCenter

How does this work? Connect it with a usb to a computer and then connect the guitar to it? Do I plug the headphones to the computer or to this? Does this need certain software to run?

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
Is it recommended that I not start out with a thin neck? I wouldn't mind learning to play with either, but if it really doesn't make a difference, thin necks sound like they'd be easier to learn.
Neck shape is purely a personal preference.
There is no "better" for "style X". Whatever music you like, half of it has likely been recorded with Gibsons anyway.

And if you are a true beginner, forget about modelers, they require a bit of knowledge to sound good. Get something like a Roland Cube with headphone out, you'll thank me later.

maruzen

Reaction score
Still not sure of your budget but take a look at this:

Amazon.com: Ibanez Rg321 Electric Guitar White: Musical Instruments

I would also suggest a fixed bridge Ibanez :)

This model has a good access to upper frets, and is a no-frills guitar. You can use this as springboard for pickups swaps and experimentation should you decide to get adventurous in the future.

The fixed bridge makes string changes easier. Most Ibanez guitars have floating bridges, which might make maintenance and string replacement a bit difficult when starting out.

')