What is a triggered drum?

• Thread starter Brett89
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

nyck

blah!
Reaction score
I have a question. Ok so you hook up the trigger pad to the acoustic bass drum, then what do you plug the trigger pad into?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Everytime I play a fast fill on an electonic kit in Sam Ash I feel like a cheater. The rebound difference is immense.

Dude, I agree. I would be and feel so lazy if I played those all the time. I probably wouldn't even bother conditioning and/or working out to keep up with the stamina, strength, endurance and agility demands that acoustic drums may require. I think that's why acoustic drums are still enamoured by many, it's the interest in pushing human feats and limits.

I have a question. Ok so you hook up the trigger pad to the acoustic bass drum, then what do you plug the trigger pad into?

A sampler and/or MIDI. Then they may quantize it in a DAW.

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
Just get mesh heads and tune it so the rebound feels like an acoustic kit.

Durero

prototyping...
Contributor
Reaction score
For many metal bands though, volume dynamics tend not to exist, especially for drums in the faster metals. So for this reason, and for consistency of sound, I understand and accept why triggers are used.

<rant>
What I don't understand, and cannot accept, is the seemingly non-exceptance of non-acoustic electronic drums (like the v-drum) ini the metal world. Seems like this would make life easier across the board, and introduce some other sound potentials.

Currently, the drum situation in modern metal can be likened to a metal rhythm guitar trying to get a good sound by putting an Invader in an Ovation acoustic and running through a **** (<----feel free to insert your metal amp of choice). Will it work, sure. Does it makes sense? Eh, not an much.

IMO There's nothing wrong with triggering samples using a human clock. Given the choice I'd take this to straight sequencing ANY day, even in lieu to DFHS, which does a scaringly good of emulating human timing dynamic (notice I didn't say 'volume', again because, in metal, you don't see it "as much").
</rant>
:agreed:
I do think it's pretty funny when I hear drummers knocking down anyone who uses electronic drums when every other instrument in their band is electric.

The possibilities enabled by electronic kits for some original combinations of percussion sounds seem under-explored.

Cancer

Gazzmask
Reaction score
:agreed:
I do think it's pretty funny when I hear drummers knocking down anyone who uses electronic drums when every other instrument in their band is electric.

The possibilities enabled by electronic kits for some original combinations of percussion sounds seem under-explored.

Y'know, as a "kid" my first instrument was actually drums, we lived in an apartment so having a full kit was out of the question, so I moved to guitar. But if I was a kid, today, playing drums, there is no way I would get an acoustic kit. I would get my chops together, and pull a Slipiknot Joey. The first person to integrate digital drums (with all the sound potential that goes with it) into a metal context, and have the balls to be in people's faces about it, is going to make history. It'll signal the death knell to the acoustic kit in metal, something I think is long overdue, especially given the rampant use of triggering.

')