What is giving this bright tone?

Zmix

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hi there! I'm looking for a particular tone you can hear in the intro rhythm section of this YT video below:

Its close to the original which is:

I happen to know the original tone came from an ESP tele and POD farm.. i dont have a tele but as i saw in the cover version its not really a requirement for this tone,

I own pod farm but i cannot for the life of me reach this tone and i dont know where im going wrong! (forgive my noobness if this seems like a really recognisable/easy tone to replicate) im still learning and i want a very similar tone as this for a song im writing.

Pick-ups i have available to try and use are pair of bareknuckle painkiller/cold sweat and EMG 80/60.

The closest i could get was using the Tube Drive (BK butler tube driver) through the SLO-100 (Soldano) head. Distortion still not as tight and tone not bright/clean enough

Would any tone experts be able to offer advice or possibly a preset that comes close?

Thanks

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
That's a multi pitch shifter probably if it was guitar. Sounds like a synth sitar or taboura or harpsichord or something.

Zmix

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hey sorry I should have specified more - the tone I'm after is actually the rhythm guitar played underneath that. I hear it used a lot so im aware it's a common tone but I'm used to dialling in metal tones so I'm really lost with these more elegant tones.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Wow, the Explorer sounds more like a tele than the actual tele.

You can get pretty close with EQ, if you notch out the low mids and lows and boost the signal. Maybe a little phaser effect could help too.

WarMachine

Reaction score
What are you using to try to get this tone? Are you running into a DAW? Real gear? Like @bostjan said, you could get pretty close with the eq moves and boosting the signal. If you're using a DAW, maybe find a saturation plugin or even an overdrive plugin without any amp sim.

Zmix

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Running straight into a DAW.

The email I got back from the original artist was "I used ESP tele with POD XT" since pod xt uses PODfarm tones I have the tools for that.

He usually records from a Soldano head/cab mic'd with a 57/421.. I have the soldano SLO by NDSP and with a pinch of EQ that can match the tone of a real Soldano.

I'll give the EQ moves a go and let you guys know how I get on, Thanks!

')