What is happening to me?

• Thread starter BusinessMan
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BusinessMan

Reaction score
So lately I've been really wanting to try or buy an ibanez rgd 7 string model. I have no idea why, since I usually really dislike ibanez necks. The finish and carve of it really looks badass. Is the prestige model really worth it? Or how about the rgd7421?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

KBurks

Reaction score
I own an RGD7421 and I quite enjoy it. I was shopping around for 7's, and I've always been a fan of the neck profiles on the RG series, so I was deciding between the RG7321 and the RGD7421. As you mentioned, the body carves look really nice, and the extended scale was nice for me as I'm primarily a bass player. The pickups are somewhat meh, but I've heard great things about these guitars with a CL/LF combo, and I've also heard mention of D-Activators in them. I personally think it was worth it.

Suho

Guitar Guardian
Contributor
Reaction score
I own the RGD7421, w/ BKP pups. The first time I played felt like I was "coming home;" it was very comfortable. I'm certain the prestige kicks ass, too.

hairychris

Hairy Old Bloke
Reaction score
I don't like RG 6-string necks, but I do like RG 7-string necks.... so you aren't the only one.

enghell

Funeral Doom
Reaction score
I've got the RGD2127FX (w/ BKP ceramic Warpigs), and yes, it's worth every penny.

WhoThenNow7

Reaction score
I don't mean to hijack this thread or anything, but it is in regards to the subject of the rgd neck.

From someone who has more normal and not "large" hands, how does the 26.5" scale feel.. is it more for people with bigger hands or is it just more comfortable overall?

Reaction score
I don't mean to hijack this thread or anything, but it is in regards to the subject of the rgd neck.

From someone who has more normal and not "large" hands, how does the 26.5" scale feel.. is it more for people with bigger hands or is it just more comfortable overall?

there's basically no difference in terms of fretting. I don't have large hands either and I'm fine with 27" which I feel more comfortable with compared to 25.5"

MAJ Meadows SF

on a tone quest
Reaction score
from your front yard, staring into your window
The scale difference is spaced out over the entire neck, so there is not much to notice going from 25.5"-26.5" or even 27". I notice a small difference at 27" but nothing uncomfortable. The 26.5"-ish scale seems to be the best length for 7 strings regarding intonation. I have less tuning and set up issues with that scale then with 25.5". I have average or less sized hands and I actually really feel comfortable on the extended scale. Some note stretches are slightly noticeable, but that just helped improve my finger agility.

The neck on the RGD2127's is not super thin, like JP EBMM thin. I happened to buy one that was slightly used, extremely well setup, and the neck/fretboard was treated so the thing plays super fast. They are the best overall instrument, IMAO, that Ibanez has put out in recent years (in terms of value, design, and playability). I'd buy one of these over a majority of their other guitars, unless they ever make an RGD J-Custom.

Universe74

Reaction score
images

GiveUpGuitar

Give Up the Goods!
Reaction score
My RGD7421 is currently the guitar I play on stage with my band. I literally just put d'activators in it like 3 days ago, and it has some strong, tight bite to it now. I can say I prefer an Air Norton neck to the d'activator neck for the RGD7421, but a d'activator bridge sounds great.

Riffer Madness

Reaction score

String spacing will vary from builder to builder and would throw these numbers off slightly, but essentially on 26.5 vs 25.5, everything from the nut to the 12th fret will have an extra 1/2" divided among those frets, and everything from the 12th to 24th will have about an extra 1/4" divided among those frets. The other extra 1/4" of the scale is spread over the pups and wont matter.

If you already play stuff that involves wide uncomfortable stretches on a 25.5, then 26.5 could be an issue.

I have "normal" possibly slightly smaller hands, and i find that things like 13-po-7, 7-h-13, and some made up chords i use where the fingerings span 7-12/13 are already awkward and painful on a normal 25.5 scale. A 26.5 adds approximately 1/5" to these, so its not an option for me.

Above the 12th, 26.5 will probably make playing easier if you have thick fingertips causing problems with fretting the highest notes on a normal 25.5.

The long scale would also help with awkward tight chord spacings that require multiple fingers side by side on the same fret.

My fingers are skinny and normal length, so im better off with 25.5.

If you have fat gauge muddiness/intonation problems with low tuning on a shorter scale, you could always just use strings with higher mass winding material like nickel for more tension at any given gauge. Also, hex core strings have less flexibility and reduced "travel" compared to round cores, which translates to feeling tighter than they actually are and having less low action buzz.

Some manufacturers label their nickel-plated steel wound strings "nickel" and their actual nickel wound strings "pure nickel", so make sure you know you're getting.

There are other wrap alloys available from some manufacturers. Some companies like GHS and Dunlop offer specialty core:wrap diameter ratios designed for low tunings.

sunken0887

Reaction score
personally i feel ibanez makes the finest 7 strings, they are the go to brand when i want a 7, i know its so typical and standard, but just something about their 7s, i to be honest i hate there 6 strings, which i find funny

i've played schecters, LTDs, Agiles, maybe some others i don't recall

but i've always missed my ibanezs, they've always felt like home

until i play a better 7(haven't played much custom shop stuff) i'll always go to my ibanezs

')