what is left in South Korea?

• Thread starter soliloquy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

soliloquy

Reaction score
Preface: good guitars are made EVERYWHERE! Bad guitars are also made in every country. Country of origin should not matter, as a quality guitar is quality.

with that, i've noticed that over the last, maybe 2 years or so? guitars that had a long history in South Korea are moving elsewhere, mostly to Indonesia and China.

Just to name a few: LTD and PRS SE. Few years prior was Ibanez. And years before was the departure of Cort. I think Epiphone left long before then too.

I think, and I could be wrong, but I believe Schecter, Dean, Agile and Wylde audio are the 'big' named brands still there. Balaguer guitars are also still in SK.

curious if anyone else knows what guitars are still left in SK?

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

KnightBrolaire

Pickup Connoisseur
Reaction score
Some of the higher end Schecters (KM7 MKIII Pro line) were still being made in SK last I heard, though the rest of the KM7 lineup has shifted to Indonesia. My Balsac E1 sig is made in Indonesia and it's just as good as the korean schecters I've owned.

Ormsby is still using SK afaik.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The big push over the last decade has been to move to source from multiple OEMs in multiple countries. So you'll find, for instance, LTDs of the same or similar series coming out of both SK and Indonesia. You can get Charvels made in USA, Mexico, Japan, South Korea, Indonesia, and China.

HaMMerHeD

Reaction score
I have a Schecter C6 Plus from Indonesia and a Schecter C-8 Hellraiser Hybrid from South Korea. Cheaper guitars are being moved out of SK because of the increasing overall rate of pay for workers there. That's all.

upload_2021-1-26_17-10-7.png

I also have an LTD made in Indonesia, a Spector bass made in Indonesia, and an Epiphone from China.

Last edited:

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
A lot of Jackson and Charvel guitars seemed to move production to Korea. Some guitars that were initially in Mexico shifted to SK.

Has the import Jackson QC improved at all? I've heard so many bad reviews of the last 10 years or so.

mbardu

Reaction score
Has the import Jackson QC improved at all? I've heard so many bad reviews of the last 10 years or so.

Better since a year or so in my experience. Recently got an SL2Q that's pretty much perfect. That was after trying a lot of similar 2019/2020 ones of similar quality.
Just wish it would have stainless steel frets but otherwise not issues whatsoever.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
The wildcards and other Korean models have gotten good reviews here and elsewhere.

The Indonesian ones have improved according to people who've tried them recently. My experience was mixed, but it was a really really early one and none of the issues it had were things that would've scared me off.

Stuff that's made in Mexico seems to be 100% solid.

The Chinese ones? No idea at all, but I haven't heard anything terrible. Most of those are cheaper, but there are some Pro Series made there. I was at the Axe Palace over the weekend

mlp187

Burrito Master
Contributor
Reaction score
I have a 2020 Kelly in Green quilt. It’s playability is stupid good. The fretwork is immaculate, with exception of one dent along the rear radius of the first fret between the B and E. The binding work at the nut is bad and there are some minor finish blems. So, it’s not firewood at all, but cosmetically imperfect. Pickups are pretty good, too.
Overall, I liked the guitar enough to invest in a HSC and I also play it frequently.
Hope that helps a little.

efiltsohg

Reaction score
Aren't the new BC Rich imports made in Korea?

Crumbling

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I think so but I also felt like I read they switched to Indo or China recently.
They just released a new line of Indonesian import with cheaper spec I'm pretty sure, but the expensive stuffs (blinged out in abalone) are still SK.

As for Jackson, here in Australia what's on the wall is pretty limited, but the one I've played are pretty good. The Korean Pro Series are limited to the Ash body models, mostly Dinky (regular Pro Dinky are still Mexican, Dinky Modern/Dinky Ash are Korean), as well as the Jeff Loomis model. Dave Davidson's Warrior is Ash top with a Mahogany body, so its still Indo. The Chinese stuffs tends to be a bit more expensive than the Indo because only the fancy finishes (Crackles/Swirls, new Camo/Mirror) are made there, and there tends to be some hardware compromises as well. My local guitar store brought in 3 of the Chinese X-series and the Pro Rainbow Crackle, and they all played pretty well, the Rainbow Crackle was better made than the Northern Light Soloist next to it (and went out the door pretty quickly).

seekfreed

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

I just recently sold an Indonesian Jackson RRX24 and apart from few minor finishing issues the guitar was pretty darn good for its relatively cheap price!

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
The wildcards and other Korean models have gotten good reviews here and elsewhere.

The Indonesian ones have improved according to people who've tried them recently. My experience was mixed, but it was a really really early one and none of the issues it had were things that would've scared me off.

Stuff that's made in Mexico seems to be 100% solid.

The Chinese ones? No idea at all, but I haven't heard anything terrible. Most of those are cheaper, but there are some Pro Series made there. I was at the Axe Palace over the weekend
Meant to say I looked at a rainbow crackle at the Axe Palace over the weekend and couldn't find anything wrong with it.

davis1224

Reaction score
topic aside, I thought the PRS SE are still being made in Korea.
Then, I recently purchased two PRS se cu24 and they were as nice as the past ones I have tried. I didnt know they are now MII until i look at the back of the headstock.

I think company with good QC will deliver good guitar no matter where they were made.

th365thli

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Very interested in this topic.

I go online or on youtube and MII premiums or Axions get raved about. Come on here and they're like the plague. These are $1000 guitars too...

soliloquy

Reaction score
Very interested in this topic.

I go online or on youtube and MII premiums or Axions get raved about. Come on here and they're like the plague. These are $1000 guitars too...

Yeah I started wondering about this after watching a few of Agufish and Arnoldplaysguitar on YouTube.

Though around $500-1500, from personal experience, I have come across guitars with great fret work and horrible fret work. Yet what I wasn't too excited for, other reviewers don't seem to mind.

Makes me wonder if things have changed so much over the last 5ish years or maybe I have something wrong.

')