What is music worth?

• Thread starter RGD MIKE
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

squid-boy

Reaction score
If she asks you, "What is this worth?" or any variation of a similar inquisition, even in the slightest, calmly say, "My heart and soul," and just walk away.

She will be floored.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Blasphemer

Bird Law expert
Reaction score
Thats brutal, man. I'm trying to imagine if I were in your shoes. My parents have always been really supportive of what I do.

At the risk of sounding like a dick, I would say get out of there and possibly look for an apartment or a relative/friends to stay with for a while, because thats a little ridiculous.

Strobe

Reaction score
That sucks dude. It gets better though. Eventually, you will be moved out and she will not be a big downer any more. In the mean time, I recommend you keep things peaceful, because everyone's got to love their mom. Eventually you will be moved out and her opinion on your music will be about as relevant as her opinion of mine. You'll be making serious engineering bank as well if you play your cards right. It definitely gets better.

There is nothing wrong with being passionate about something.

kamello

DESU METARU!
Reaction score
that was pretty saddening to see :(

have you talked with her?

and fuck, you want to study Electrical Engeneering, and you have the tools and
3/4 of the road to make that happens, where is the problem of having a
hobby?

yidcorer

Banned
Reaction score
Although my parents have always supported my musical ambitions, I did experience some kind of rejection towards me playing guitar most of the time instead of leading a more "normal" life i.e. going out and literally wasting my time with useless humans.

I believe most musicians have experienced this at one point of their lives.

I would say, if you are old enough, try to move out or find another place to practice. Isolate your room, so others can´t hear you playing.

Be strong.

MetalMike04

Lefty cursed...
Reaction score
who might you be?
haha Metalmike04 of course :lol:

No but seroisly im Mike D. ill just put that for now, i mutually know you from Cameron Almasi, "annoying as crap vocalist"im sure you know who im talking about i used to be in one of his many bands that were destroyed by his dumb 'leadership'.

DANiMALxMD

Reaction score
yeah this seriously made me sad. im lucky to have supportive parents. if i were you i would have 100% ignored her and started playing. i would simply not respond to someone telling me my hobby/passion is wrong.

MetalMike04

Lefty cursed...
Reaction score
who might you be?
haha Metalmike04 of course :lol:

No but seroisly im Mike D. ill just put that for now, i mutually know you from Cameron Almasi, "annoying as crap vocalist"im sure you know who im talking about i used to be in one of his many bands that were destroyed by his dumb 'leadership'.

Cheesebuiscut

Loves his Q-tuners
Reaction score
have you talked with her?

There's no talking to that, even when you provide a completely valid argument to anything and everything that type of person says they don't care. Especially when they have a little power being a parent.

My mother was much worse during my entire childhood / adolescence she would basically just take out her frustration on me every night as she got home from work. Yelling screaming temper tantrum status about absolutely nothing. I tried everything under the sun to get her to leave me the fuck alone to no avail.

Really the only thing that calmed her down is realizing after two decades of her bullshit that I had lost respect for her as a person and I wasn't going to change. That and having other people get involved and give her perspective on how she was being. It also helped when she realized the alternative to sitting in my dim-lit room playing games and guitar was going out and doing what all the other kids were... drugs / alcohol / etc.

There's really no reasoning with someone like that you kinda just have to find your way to cope through it. Personally I always played through a practice amp / headphones or acoustically whenever anyone else was home as to not have to subject them to me learning how to play guitar / having to hear my music since I know how horribly irritating it is to have other peoples music forced down my throat constantly. I simply do it out of respect and if I do play through my amp when they're home its at very very low volumes regardless of the amp I had at the time (having a T2 really helps with that these days :rolleyes:).

Wish you the best of luck as I imagine shits not going to get any easier any time soon and the sad reality is your just going to have to put up with it until you finally manage to move out. I feel for you but at least you can afford to go to school and all that gear you have, most people get by with a lot less and still deal with that or worse.

Curt

Where we're going we don't need neck pickups.
Reaction score
I cannot even IMAGINE my mother doing that to me. She seems like she has some real issues. Ones that are worse than the images of ones she's conjuring up in her head about what you're doing with your life..

Just exactly, how old are you, man?

I can see her saying this if you're being a deadbeat loser, sitting around in your parents house all day, just playing guitar, and have been doing so since you began playing and are in your 30's and haven't held a job or anything...

but otherwise, that is completely and utterly disgusting to hear ones parents berate their own child in such a way...

My mother, AND my stepfather have been there and been supportive of what I do. Of every decision i've ever made... They told me that they didn't mind if I made up my mind that I wanted to work at a McDonald's the rest of my life while trying to get this whole music thing on track for me, as long as I was trying to do what I truly wanted to with my life, they would be supportive.

And I believe, that that's how a GOOD parent SHOULD be.

Prydogga

Giddyup.
Reaction score
I don't really want to go on a rant as it's your own mother, but FUCK I would not put up with that absolute bullshit.

Live not for others, but for yourself, who gives a fuck what you're doing for society, you get one life, and you should live it how you see fit, within the boundaries that don't harm other people, and sitting and enjoying a motherfucking hobby and passion does not harm anyone, so fucking play on.

Now that a bit of my rage is gone, I'll admit, that both made me feel uncomfortable and very sad.

caskettheclown

Sexytime!
Reaction score
Parents are not perfect

My mom couldn't stand the music I played a lot of the time but she didn't ask me to turn it down until she started hurting a lot which I can understand. Though she loved it when I played music she liked.

All I can say man is either deal with it or move out cause like you said there isn't anything you can do.

Kr1zalid

Archrocker
Reaction score
B)I do not own nor play video games, never have

D)I am always respectful, do tons of chores, etc

E)I have a 4.0 gpa and plan to attend a private university for electrical engineering

I really want to say this:
You're doing very well. Keep it up, you listen to your mom but you neither have to take it personal nor seriously. You have a great potential on music as well as other places. And again, sometimes parents don't see the bright side but when they do, they'll be proud of you.

Feel your pain bro. :hug:

BrainArt

Deftones Guru.
Reaction score
I cannot even IMAGINE my mother doing that to me. She seems like she has some real issues. Ones that are worse than the images of ones she's conjuring up in her head about what you're doing with your life..

Just exactly, how old are you, man?

I can see her saying this if you're being a deadbeat loser, sitting around in your parents house all day, just playing guitar, and have been doing so since you began playing and are in your 30's and haven't held a job or anything...

but otherwise, that is completely and utterly disgusting to hear ones parents berate their own child in such a way...

My mother, AND my stepfather have been there and been supportive of what I do. Of every decision i've ever made... They told me that they didn't mind if I made up my mind that I wanted to work at a McDonald's the rest of my life while trying to get this whole music thing on track for me, as long as I was trying to do what I truly wanted to with my life, they would be supportive.

And I believe, that that's how a GOOD parent SHOULD be.

This.

I don't really want to go on a rant as it's your own mother, but FUCK I would not put up with that absolute bullshit.

Live not for others, but for yourself, who gives a fuck what you're doing for society, you get one life, and you should live it how you see fit, within the boundaries that don't harm other people, and sitting and enjoying a motherfucking hobby and passion does not harm anyone, so fucking play on.

Now that a bit of my rage is gone, I'll admit, that both made me feel uncomfortable and very sad.

This.

Parents are not perfect

My mom couldn't stand the music I played a lot of the time but she didn't ask me to turn it down until she started hurting a lot which I can understand. Though she loved it when I played music she liked.

All I can say man is either deal with it or move out cause like you said there isn't anything you can do.

And this.

I can't really relate to you when it comes to my mom not supporting me, because she does, but I still feel your pain, dude.

You have a ton of respect from me, with the way you handled the situation. If it was either of my cousins, they would have gone off on their moms, I have seen it many times.

sojorel

Scourge
Reaction score
1. remix it with autotune and some dubstep
2. post on tube to get 1 million hits
3. ??
4. profit

Demiurge

Reaction score
When people get older, there is no switch that automatically flips that turns them into an adult and re-shuffles their priorities to make them good citizens or good parents. Some people grow up, and other people don't.

Here, it seems that the mom has a maturity issue. I'm in no way in favor of "spare the rod" parenting, but "spare the filtering" parenting is the worst, where there should be and is not some sort of faculty that kicks-in to prevent one from crapping their neuroses and stresses all over their kids, unencumbered.

Reaction score
While she completely came at it the wrong way and was way off saying the things she said I can sort of see where she's coming from.

She probably is tired seeing you do the same thing all day for hours on end and just wants to see you get out more, volunteer/work, etc... but if you've only been home for 2 days then I dont see why she's so worked up over nothing.

Interloper

Reaction score
A few of the many contradictions in this video are that
A)I have been home from vacation for a mere 2 days, so I haven't had time to make plans.
B)I do not own nor play video games, never have
C)I had played guitar for less than 20 minutes today, when i posted this
D)I am always respectful, do tons of chores, etc
E)I have a 4.0 gpa and plan to attend a private university for electrical engineering
F)I payed for 95% of my gear, including that Invader 100 and rack in the shot

I can keep going but it is useless. This kind of stuff is going to keep getting thrown at me no matter what I do or how many times I try to talk to her.

No, stuff like this, and much much worse happens pretty regularly. It's just been a little while.

I was going to get on here and say that you should go to school and get a job but it looks like you are already on the right track so all I can say is what others have said, it's time to move out. Good luck man.

')