What is music worth?

• Thread starter RGD MIKE
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
Looks like you need to get the fuck out of that house. I don't know your mother obviously, but what I can see is that she's not supporting you in something that you clearly love to do. And to your mom: Yes, I do sit around playing with my computer and my game things. ALL. SUMMER. LONG.

ittoa666

Being confused on SS.org since 2008
Reaction score
You should smack your mom and shred at 10.

What does your mom do? The mentality of her generation...just...it just boggles my mind.

But in all seriousness, you really should try to have a conversation with her about how you love what you do, and how she can't change that. Like ibz said, she obviously doesn't support you or your dreams. Please, for yourself, stand up to this.

AeternusEternus

Reaction score
post your mom's email address

post your home phone number so we can all call and ask for you to thank you for the videos you post

hi this is ae and i'd like to thank your son because he uses the greatest communications tool in the history of mankind to teach

teach a man to fish and all

do you know how to fish, maam

tuneinrecords

Reaction score
wow, that is some video there. Something tells me that this is going to get a lot of hits on youtube.

I don't know how old your are or your situation, but parents by and large have been telling kids they are worthless, wasting their time, etc..... This is nothing new. Don't let it get you down. If mom's everywhere loved amps and guitars then kids would go learn to knit and sew instead.

There is nothing stupid about your playing or your guitar. You know how to keep your cool. I probably would have just made the situation worse myself.

It took me quite a few years to get my ass in gear and I've received plenty of shit from people even after I was making money with my guitar.

Bottom line, don't let other people rip your dreams apart. Pick that guitar back up, write a song about your troubles and keep having fun.

You seem like a pretty nice guy, just in how you responded, but remember that without resistance from other people sometimes we have nothing to rally against and give us the inspiration to make positive steps forward.

I'll admit that I don't play video games and find them a waste of my time, but I'm a little more outside the box I suppose. I don't even text.

My music and the songs I have written are really aside from my family and loved ones, the most important things in my life. It means the world to me to be able to have that outlet, to be able to play and reach other people with it. It keeps me sane and it keeps me striving to be better all the time. Music is really everything, wether parents want to believe it or not. The entire world is nothing but frequencies and vibrations - basically music. Check into old creation myths and even science. The human body is an entire symphony in itself with trillions of different cells are communicating in a harmony. Ever hear of the phrase sound health?

Follow your dreams and realize that there will be all kinds of people trying to get in the way of them, even if they love us and have the best intentions for us. I've been at this for over 20 years and it's got it's ups and downs like everything else, but I won't let anyone take away what is so important to me.

jymellis

Talk To DeWalt
Reaction score
buddy as a parent i dont know what to tell you. she is clearly frustrated.i cant say i agree or disagree with her. if my kid sat in his room blaring a tube amp everyday i might get agrivated from time to time lol. or if he was playing rap and all i could hear was BOOM BOOM BOOM every day.

im sure you go out from time to time, and she was over doing it on that part. but one thing you have to understand coming from a parent that grw up without internet. kids will sit on computers doing nothing, for weeks on end. THATS NOT GOOD. part of being a kid is going outside, playing, riding bikes. not meeting up in a chatroom from the minute you wake up till 2 days later.

her parents prolly yelled at her about sitting around the radio to long. or sitting with her friends listening to elvis records.

she is your mom and clearly wants the best for you.

i honestly think she was mad, and didnt mean any of it ;)

lurgar

Reaction score
There's a lot I'd want to say about this, but I'm no personal friend of yours and really, you already know that you should probably look into moving out.

Shannon

Lord Super Awesome
Contributor
Reaction score
Ask your mom if she's ever been passionate about anything in her own life? If she has, then maybe she'll understand what this means to you. I heard a bit of the same rhetoric when I was growing up, but don't let it get you down. Music is art & it IS part of your contribution to the lives of others. Since you're young & living under their roof, just do well in building your future & let music be your reward for your hard work.

jymellis

Talk To DeWalt
Reaction score
i think by you posting this video , this is not a normal occurance for her.

i say let it go. has no one here said something they didnt mean? parents arent perfect.

RGD MIKE

Reaction score
A few of the many contradictions in this video are that
A)I have been home from vacation for a mere 2 days, so I haven't had time to make plans.
B)I do not own nor play video games, never have
C)I had played guitar for less than 20 minutes today, when i posted this
D)I am always respectful, do tons of chores, etc
E)I have a 4.0 gpa and plan to attend a private university for electrical engineering
F)I payed for 95% of my gear, including that Invader 100 and rack in the shot

I can keep going but it is useless. This kind of stuff is going to keep getting thrown at me no matter what I do or how many times I try to talk to her.

i think by you posting this video , this is not a normal occurance for her.

i say let it go. has no one here said something they didnt mean? parents arent perfect.

No, stuff like this, and much much worse happens pretty regularly. It's just been a little while.

jymellis

Talk To DeWalt
Reaction score
A few of the many contradictions in this video are that
A)I have been home from vacation for a mere 2 days, so I haven't had time to make plans.
B)I do not own nor play video games, never have
C)I had played guitar for less than 20 minutes today, when i posted this
D)I am always respectful, do tons of chores, etc
E)I have a 4.0 gpa and plan to attend a private university for electrical engineering

I can keep going but it is useless. This kind of stuff is going to keep getting thrown at me no matter what I do or how many times I try to talk to her.

i read the post again. well buddy. i dont know what to tell you. i know what i would do in your situation. but this is an all ages site, and descriptions of gruesom violence is frowned upon. watch the gwar video phallus in wonderland. a mom tells her son he cant go see gwar. that will give you an idea lol :)
i say tough it out. play her games. and move out when you are ready.

doesnt seem like you can reason with her, or carry a 2 sided convo with her.

Joelan

Ukulele Shredder
Reaction score
It's odd how parents take these things differently. My parents encourage me to play guitar as an alternative to sitting around on a computer all day. In fact, it was my dad who got me to pick one up in the first place, and he subsequently battled with me just to get me to practice the damn thing (classical guitar, of course). He was a little less excited when I bought a seven string metal machine :lol:

I would always say you need to respect your parents, but this is a case where I would ignore... :D

Reaction score
My dad was like that, only I could never play my amp when he was home. No music either....ever...

If I kept playing he would definitely call the cops, or probably threaten to kill me.

I'm not saying you should feel lucky, I'm just saying, I know whats its like.

asmegin_slayer

cali-cornia bluffer
Reaction score
Good fucking Jeebuz, this reminds me of my mom back when I was 16-17. If I was in that situation I would formulate a plan of answering all those questions to your mom. Keep it professional and kind and show her that its not the 70's anymore.

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
Can we all say MENOPAUSE together now? With a 4.0gpa you obviously have good work ethic so you'll be on your own soon enough. GOOD LUCK huhuhuh.

Alimination

Space Adventurer
Reaction score
wow bro I'm very sorry. I mean my parents were like that with me at one point with video games when I was much younger. Eventually they stopped when I started picking up an instrument lol.

but I took the time to watch some of your videos. Your seriously a great guitar player! Don't be put down by your mothers nonsense. Keep doing what your doing man!

Goatfork

Reaction score
I wish I could say something that hasn't been said, but I can't. At the risk of offending you, I regret to inform you that your mom is a raging bitch. Keep playing, keep creating. If she doesn't support you, don't support her. She doesn't deserve it. I don't know what your personal situation is with a job and stuff, or if you're old enough to do it, but it might be worth looking into getting an apartment with some friends.

Life is short, fellow musician, don't waste your precious time on the unworthy.

')