what is the best pickup for recording metal?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reignerrr

Reaction score
this is the most difficult question ever, it's been several months that i want to change the bridge and i can't decide... everyone says different things about almost all pickups and if you go to the youtube demos always you have the guitar factor wich makes same pickups sound different in different guitars

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
this is the most difficult question ever, it's been several months that i want to change the bridge and i can't decide... everyone says different things about almost all pickups and if you go to the youtube demos always you have the guitar factor wich makes same pickups sound different in different guitars

That's why generally you just have to try a few.

Adieu

Reaction score
Popular choices:
EMG 81, 85
DiMarzio Super Distortion, Crunch Lab, Dactivator, X2N
Seymour Duncan Distortion, Invader, JB, Black Winter, Dimebucker, Hot Rail, Blackouts

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
A lot of marketing has been done to make people think stock pickups are bad and must be upgraded to some name brand flavour of the month signature pickup. Plenty of guitars have totally fine, serviceable stock pickups. Especially these days.

The reason so many people have so many differing opinions on pickups is because everyone wants something different, and pickups are really one small part of the equation, with guitar, amp, cab, and any effects all mattering probably more than the pickup.

All you can really do is get a general idea of what a pickup is like based on description, people’s reviews, and maybe some DI tracks you can reamp though your own amp if you have the ability. Most pickup clips are less than useless. Only direct comparisons will really be of any use - same person playing the same thing with the same guitar/amp, but different pickups.

I know Keith merrow did a video like that for Seymour Duncan some years back, but that’s the only instance I’ve seen.

In answer to the OP question, as has been stated, there is no one answer. Most people tend to use medium to high output humbuckers, but that’s about as much as you can narrow it down.

crankyrayhanky

Reaction score
BK Aftermath in a Mahogany guitar slays for drop tune fast picking
Juggernaut for some other types and bonus it is a sensational clean (where aftermath sucks at clean)

This is not my opinion but fact. I'll even say Period.

Alex79

Reaction score
contrary to popular belief, there are stupid questions. this is one of them.
use whatever you like, PAFs, single coils, p90s, whatever, they all work for metal.
It's true what you're saying, on the other hand there's a topic on this forum
"Low vs high output humbuckers in a high gain setting" that is in a way just as stupid, yet it gets serious replies. I guess it's more in the way a question is asked.

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
Doesn't matter as long as you have a sweet rig...

43363857_556831381423931_2546290623255557506_n.jpg

Sdrizis89

Reaction score
If your in the market for a ne pickup fir a particular guitar, let us know what the guitar is and its main specs (body wood, neck, hardware, current pickups). What dont you like about it's current sound and the current pickups? From there, I am sure we can figure out a few pickup suggestions that may work for you. Im sure many of us here have gone through tons of different pickups and guitars LOL.

MrWulf

Reaction score
Yeah you really need to tell us what sort of guitars are you putting your pickup in. I've played through a bunch of sets including Black Winter, Aftermath, Loomis Blackout so i believe i can help. Also, what sort of sound do you want? Saturated, grindy tone? Or clear, articulate modern metal? Or hi fi, high mid treble sounds ala Djent?

erdiablo666

I'm from Canada...and they think I'm slow...eh
Reaction score
Doesn't really matter that much. I find my pickup choices are now driven by how the pickup "feels" rather than how it sounds, that is, the right pickup for you is the one that feels good to play. The one that "responds" to your picking style. You're going to be doing a lot of EQing post recording anyway.

But yeah EMG 81...X

Edit: Listen to KnightBrolaire - he knows. Believe me.