What is the best /ss hybrid amp

• Thread starter tiny6996
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

tiny6996

the baritone of iowa
Reaction score
im in a deathcore band and im wondering what solid state or hybrid amp i should buy becuz we are doin more shows and in need something with more power than my 75 watt spider III and i was going to get a madison but the went belly up :wallbash:so now its down to a randall v2 and krank sst so which of the two is the best or any other sugestions

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

groph

Reaction score
Never tried the SST but I can attest to the V2 being a retarded amp, you'll definitely get some sweet tones out of it. The Ampeg VH-140 would suit as well but it might sound a little too ugly and more suited to that gritty old school death metal tone rather than your modern polished deathcore tone (5150). I've never tried one though so I could be totally wrong. I've gotten a V2 to sound nearly identical to a 6505+ at low volume but I couldn't turn it up much. Pretty much any metal tone lurks in the V2. The Randall T2 is pretty much a stripped down V2; it doesn't have the graphic EQ. In theory that's a simpler circuit so = "more tone". Probably a bit cheaper too.

widdlywhaa

Reaction score
I can say that the V2 is def a sick head. I saw a band one time that used the SST and it sounded good but was a bit harsh for me.

I own an ampeg VH-150 and I have to say that it has killed my gas for all other heads except for a few "Boutique" heads. I have yet to play a common "Metal" amp on the market that has made me as happy tonally (including 6505/5150's, Dual/triple recs, Marshal JVM/TSL/DSL/MF, and any of the Randall stuff I've tried)

It should also stand that It has Replaced my Rockmaster/Randall rack as my main rig and I LOVED the tone I get form that rig.

That head through the right speakers can produce a myriad of disgustingly heavy sounds. but it tends to like higher wattage speakers and speakers with a very mild Top end. My best results have been through a mesa Traditional 4x12 w/V30s and my own 2x12 cabs with EVM12S speakers.

Inazone

Reaction score
If those are your only two choices, I'm going to say Randall. The V2 should be able to get you any sound you need for metal. But if there is any way to expand your options, the aforementioned Ampeg VH-140 or maybe a Peavey XXL would also do what you want. We've had a couple of jam sessions with an XXL and VH-140 instead of our usual tube rigs, and they both sound really tight.

Latest posts

')