What is the life of D. Maestro Alex Gregory?

Reaction score
First of all, no disrespect intended (A bit of phun maybe :D) with this post and if it's not appropiate, I'll delete it right away. I decided to open the thread here because it has to do with music.

I learned about this guy pretty much because of the 7-string history thread. This guy is not famous but I noticed I get more links from google by looking my name rather than the name of the "Maestro". So, I was wondering, after his reputation which is not very possitive, what does this guy do for a living?

Unlike me (Money from music can't still pay my living on it's full) this guy seems to be fully devoted to music, but it's hard to find anything else than scattered links. I've found this video (which I don't think he has hearned a lot of money for it):

I've avoided his "official" website because it looks more than a kid's joke than anything else. In fact it looks very much alike the first website I programmed (typed by hand) back in '97 when I was 16 years old. My website looks way more professional than his.

I discard he lives on his record's royalties because, no matter how "famous" he is in Japan, today's reality is that the CD market is really low so that anyone can live of it, unless you're mainstream. I haven't heard of any artist touring with him either.

My wild guess is that he lives by teaching guitar/mandolin to kids, and of course, trying to cash as much as possible by enlarging his image on adds or whatever method he uses to attract people to his lessons (Ex. "The Inventor of the 7-string guitar will teach you how to play the guitar like a Maestro").

What do you know or think he's doing to survive in the music business?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SpaceDock

Shred till your dead
Reaction score
While he came up with some awesome stuff, seven strings tuned high and the five string cello blaster, he talked so much shit about yngwie and srv while his own material was junk.

mjbg

Reaction score
he pretend to be Jesus.. is known as Inri Cristo.. just google it..

(not srs)

Reaction score
he pretend to be Jesus.. is known as Inri Cristo.. just google it..

(not srs)

Interesting answers, but this last one is LOL, hahaha. Still, I'd wanna know what does he do for a living (for real). Maybe he's begging on the streets after having sold his 7 string strats...

tedtan

Reaction score
While he came up with... seven strings tuned high...

Does anyone know when he supposedly came up with this? I know George Lynch was already working on it with ESP circa 1989-1990 (around the time Vai was working with Ibanez on the UV). Who was working on it first?

SpaceDock

Shred till your dead
Reaction score
His seven string was tuned very strangely, can't remember how, but was done so he could play violin parts and traditional classical music on guitar in the correct pitch.

Seven strings have been around for way longer than any of these guys, he put a patent on some of the designs of electric seven strings if I remember correctly. I used to have a schecter catalog that talked all about it.

ilyti

Lazy Ryebread Viking
Reaction score
He works at a call centre and teaches guitar to kids three evenings a week. Much like me. Actually, I quit the call centre, but I figure he would still do that so he can introduce himself on every single call as "Maestro Alex Gregory who invented the 7 string guitar" and proceed to conduct a survey on grocery stores.

Reaction score
Does anyone know when he supposedly came up with this? I know George Lynch was already working on it with ESP circa 1989-1990 (around the time Vai was working with Ibanez on the UV). Who was working on it first?

If you have a couple of hours to spare (More like 3 or 4), take the time to read this thread:
http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/sevenstring-guitars/147811-history-seven-string-solidbodies.html

You can pretty much learn there that 7 strings, including the ones tuned high were around way before he came up with the idea. He patented it in 1991, lol, 2 years after the UV was on production.

Reaction score
He works at a call centre and teaches guitar to kids three evenings a week. Much like me. Actually, I quit the call centre, but I figure he would still do that so he can introduce himself on every single call as "Maestro Alex Gregory who invented the 7 string guitar" and proceed to conduct a survey on grocery stores.

LOL are you serious or just joking? Somehow I thought he couldn't be involved in music other than teaching. So much for the Douchebag attitude.

In a supposed interview, he claims he was showing his last record to a friend in the car, and Paul McCartney came by and praised his music...even if this was true, no one would believe him.

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
Trying to patent a 7-string guitar is on par with Apple patenting a rectangular shape with rounded edges.

Adding a string to a guitar is not a technical innovation and 7-strings, as well as 12 strings, 10 strings, and various other guitars with different string numbers, have been around for far more years than one would think.

A Floyd Rose temolo... THAT is something patentable because it's a whole working design and construction.

Rev.

Mordacain

Formerly 1-watt brigadier
Reaction score
Oddly enough, for all of you who weren't around the forum to see it, this forum actually took part in "debunking" the myth the Gregory invented the 7 string guitar. I'll see if I can find the post in general, but we were contacted by an editor from Wikipedia regarding the legitimacy of his claims and in one of the coolest online collaborative efforts I've seen, quite thoroughly debunked his claim.

Now to find the actual post...

/EDIT - don't mind me...I totally didn't read this post thoroughly enough as it was already posted farther up the page :wallbash:

Reaction score
Oddly enough, for all of you who weren't around the forum to see it, this forum actually took part in "debunking" the myth the Gregory invented the 7 string guitar. I'll see if I can find the post in general, but we were contacted by an editor from Wikipedia regarding the legitimacy of his claims and in one of the coolest online collaborative efforts I've seen, quite thoroughly debunked his claim.

Now to find the actual post...

/EDIT - don't mind me...I totally didn't read this post thoroughly enough as it was already posted farther up the page :wallbash:

Actually, the post is a sticky one about 7-string guitar history in the seven string guitar section. Took me 2 days to read it on it's whole and it's was worth every second :D

flexkill

Vodka & PentaTonic
Reaction score
I learned about this guy pretty much because of the 7-string history thread. This guy is not famous but I noticed I get more links from google by looking my name rather than the name of the "Maestro".

Unlike me (Money from music can't still pay my living on it's full) this guy seems to be fully devoted to music, but it's hard to find anything else than scattered links.

In fact it looks very much alike the first website I programmed (typed by hand) back in '97 when I was 16 years old. My website looks way more professional than his.

Fun part he has half the followers my band has. (And we don't have much fans...lol)

Why all the comparisons between you and the Maestro?:scratch:

Reaction score
Why all the comparisons between you and the Maestro?:scratch:

Because I'm a douche wannabe.

Now seriously, I'm hardly a known musician, maybe I'm not a good one, who knows, but I made the comparisons because I don't understand how this guy has the balls to pull out so much crap...Honestly, it pisses me off.

JohnIce

Singlecoil Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldn't be offended by his mere presence if he was just a self-absorbed guitar player. That's fine.

The fact that his patents are keeping Fender (and as far as I know their daughter companies like Jackson and Charvel) from producing 7-string strats is what bugs me to no end. A $1000-1500 Fender/Jackson/Charvel strat would quite possibly be the end of all GAS for me.

Latest posts

')