What is the lowest any band tunes to?

• Thread starter Æxitosus
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Harry

Doom man of Doom.
Contributor
Reaction score
"he'd shit himself, die, and not live long enough to leave Fender and found G&L. Then what would Jerry Cantrell play, huh? Huh???"

:rofl:
But hilariousness aside, what Tomawesome said is spot on (IMO)

TomAwesome

I LIKE JUICE!!!
Reaction score
Damn, I never get a good response like that when I post sober. :lol:

Daemoniac

Rivethead Magnate.
Contributor
Reaction score
^ Maybe its a sign :D:lol:

... just kidding.. cos we all know that liver disease is nothing to laugh about. And knowing is half the battle.

Sang-Drax

Reaction score
I've looked into this further and it appears that in the USA E2 is standard tuning, whereas on Guitar Pro 4 (which is French) E3 is standard tuning and everything is built around that, which makes me wonder whether it's a) if USA and Europe have difference in measure, such as the 'billion' difference or b) if my Guitar Pro is just all messed up :lol:

I haven't read through the whole thread, which means someone probably clarified the issue already - but you're right, European and American systems are different :)

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
I haven't read through the whole thread, which means someone probably clarified the issue already - but you're right, European and American systems are different :)

so I wasn't wrong after all, hurrah!

I'm going to eat a baguette to celebrate.

lucasreis

ERG Ambassador
Reaction score
Tone may be in the 'ear of the beholder' or what-have-you, but like i said earlier, i havent heard anything that sounds good below G or A, aside from one or two bands (SYL and Divine Heresy, f.ex). So i dont really see the thread as a valid indicator of low tuning bands that sound good(opinion alert).
Point i'm making is that it doesnt matter how metal or not it is, or whatever, its just beyond the limits of what the guitar as it is designed sounds good for. Once again, this is my opinion and all so take that how you will.

I agree.

Some might flame me but I think tuning too low, like, lower than a 5-string bass to be "dah brootalz" is kinda like a short-dick syndrome. This is totally my opinion. But I see no benefit on "oh mah gawds I tuned this shat to G#-1, it sawnds brootalz yo". I mean, I like Meshuggah and some of the 8 string experiments. But some stuff is just overkill. I would never go lower than Ab but I have nothing against people tuning to F, it´s an experiment. But when they want to tune to Zb minor -0 or whatever note that only whales can hear I fear that it´s some kind of compensation for something lacking, or anything like that.

Sure, this IS extended range forum and I´m an extended range player. But I prefer the really lower stuff on my 5 string bass. It´s just on opinion, don´t flame me.

lucasreis

ERG Ambassador
Reaction score
Æxitosus;1475184 said:
I will kill you...somehow over the internet
While I do like Meshuggah I don´t hail them as the second coming of Jesus like almost everyone does on the interwebs. Nor Nevermore...

Scar Symmetry owns both!! There, I said it! :lol:

MTech

Banned
Reaction score
Yves Carbonne tunes to B00, a whole step below that, which in his case is a .250 gauge custom LaBella string. The bass I was/am planning with Skip would have a 39.55" scale and a ~.270 to achieve A00 / G00.

Yves Carbonne Jerzy Drozd Legend XII extended range bass

I got to hold one of those 270 gauge bass string at the LaBella factory last month and it's like a whip. Not only was it heavy it felt like you could beat somebody to death with it. :eek:

Æxitosus

Banned
Reaction score
While I do like Meshuggah I don´t hail them as the second coming of Jesus like almost everyone does on the interwebs. Nor Nevermore...

Scar Symmetry owns both!! There, I said it! :lol:

I dont like Nevermore, no.

I've never heard Scar Symmetry before, but if they are supposedly better than (the almighty) Meshuggah, I gotta check them out :hbang:

knuckle_head

Reaction score
I agree.

Some might flame me but I think tuning too low, like, lower than a 5-string bass to be "dah brootalz" is kinda like a short-dick syndrome. This is totally my opinion. But I see no benefit on "oh mah gawds I tuned this shat to G#-1, it sawnds brootalz yo". I mean, I like Meshuggah and some of the 8 string experiments. But some stuff is just overkill. I would never go lower than Ab but I have nothing against people tuning to F, it´s an experiment. But when they want to tune to Zb minor -0 or whatever note that only whales can hear I fear that it´s some kind of compensation for something lacking, or anything like that.

Sure, this IS extended range forum and I´m an extended range player. But I prefer the really lower stuff on my 5 string bass. It´s just on opinion, don´t flame me.

You should take a listen to Jauqo IIIX and Yves Carbonne - they each play within a whole step of one another and they tune to C# (17.32 Hz) and B (15.43 Hz) respectively. You need not have extraordinary playback gear to decipher what they're doing.

I am experimenting with string design myself these days and have been less than impressed with much of anything larger than .200. I have a 5 string currently tuned an octave beneath a grand piano (.265 on a 39.55" scale length - 13.75 Hz), and while it registers on my li'l ol' Korg tuner for the sake of pitch and intonation I haven't been able to amplify it properly. Once I can I'll let you know if it works.

Æxitosus;1471931 said:
I know Meshuggah tunes 8 strings down 1/2 step, which is an F. But has any other band out there jumped that hurdle and went straight to an octave below normal guitar tuning?

Just wondering...

FWIW - this has been happening since the early 1960's with the Bass VI (which really is a guitar) and Danelectro's Tic Tac bass. They mostly doubled bass parts, but....

Daemoniac

Rivethead Magnate.
Contributor
Reaction score
I got to hold one of those 270 gauge bass string at the LaBella factory last month and it's like a whip. Not only was it heavy it felt like you could beat somebody to death with it. :eek:

Man i can believe that.. even the 80" on my guitar felt like a bridge cable when i was playing chords :eek: A 270" string would feel like a god damn weapon...

knuckle_head

Reaction score
Man i can believe that.. even the 80" on my guitar felt like a bridge cable when i was playing chords :eek: A 270" string would feel like a god damn weapon...

Looks and sounds like one too;

NakedWet.jpg

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
Æxitosus;1475417 said:
NIFTY!!:metal::hbang::hbang:

any specific place to start with them?

all 3 albums are pretty consistant, but I'd say their latest album Holographic Universe is their best offering :yesway:

Status
Not open for further replies.
')