What is with ibanez and stock pickups?

• Thread starter ESP_0bsessed
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ESP_0bsessed

Reaction score
I really dont understand it, you can get a guitar with better pups and hardware for the same price or more often than not,less!
So yeah someone enlighten me....

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

gunshow86de

Beef Jerky Time
Reaction score
Ibanez pickups are intended to be versatile, medium-output pickups. Unfortunately, they are the proverbial "jack of all trades, master of none." Also, Ibanez is a bunch of cheapasses.

LTD/Schecter did get it right though. They bought 3rd party hardware that people were modding their guitars with anyway and stuck them in stock guitars. Now, people don't even notice how crappy the fretwork, finish and wood quality are on their guitars. :lol:

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
LTD/Schecter did get it right though. They bought 3rd party hardware that people were modding their guitars with anyway and stuck them in stock guitars. Now, people don't even notice how crappy the fretwork, finish and wood quality are on their guitars. :lol:

^ I like how you said that, sir. Specially the part I bolded.

Don't get me wrong though, I actually like those brands quite a lot :lol:

SW Davion

Reaction score
Why bother putting great pickups in them from the factory... lol
We would change them regardless of how great they are...

devolutionary

No longer 7-less
Reaction score
I don't mind my V7-S1-V8 in my 2000 RG570, but I hear that get pretty awful after that point.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Why bother putting great pickups in them from the factory... lol
We would change them regardless of how great they are...
:agreed:
I think pickups that come with a guitar are just like the strings - Perfectly usable for the mass market who don't really care, (hopefully) not adding significantly to the price, and to be changed out to the owners preference.

I don't see a point in cranking up the price of a guitar and putting in better pickups, when the minority who really care will have a whole assortment of other pickups they would rather have.

Seanpat76

Oldschool Metalhead
Reaction score
For some odd reason, I kinda like the sound of the DiMarzio designed Infinity pups. Maybe I need some Q-tips.lol

Jack Secret

Reaction score
Ibanez is balancing out when they had awesome stock pickups from '87 to '92. F3 FTW!

poopyalligator

Dr.Poopyalligator
Reaction score
Yeah ibanez kind of cheaps out a bit on their pickups. I personally like a lot of their older stock pickups. As far as their hardware goes, I think they put out some pretty nice stuff. Like the older edge and lo pro edge trems in my opinion are better made than the average OFR bridge.

Demiurge

Reaction score
For some odd reason, I kinda like the sound of the DiMarzio designed Infinity pups. Maybe I need some Q-tips.lol

I have to agree with you. I had an RGT with them, and, as a person obsessed with finding reasons to swap-out pickups, I thought they were pretty damn good.

They are largely hit-or-miss in general. I had high hopes for the Tru-Duo pickups, but while they sound okay, the difference between modes (humbucker and stacked single) are virtually indistinguishable.

AcousticMinja

String Theorist
Contributor
Reaction score
I like some of ibanez's stocks. Some of their higher end stuff is really awesome to me. I even somewhat like the RG7321's pickups and everyone hates those things. To me, they sound pretty clear and gritty.

Reaction score
I would never buy a new ibby now, they're so overpriced for what you get. With the loomis you get an OFR + EMG's for 1100 and a 1527 is more than that for an ok trem and shit pups :noway:

That being said I fucking love old school RGs!

Reaction score
I would never buy a new ibby now, they're so overpriced for what you get. With the loomis you get an OFR + EMG's for 1100 and a 1527 is more than that for an ok trem and shit pups :noway:

That being said I fucking love old school RGs!

Yeah, but with a Loomis you also get that baseball bat of a neck.
baseball_bat.gif

Thep

Blast & Sweep
Reaction score
I'd take V8/V7 or Dimarzio IBZ over EMG.

Actually, I'm quite glad that they don't use EMGs, it makes guitars look cheap now that Schecter and LTD has had them on everything they put out.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
I'd take V8/V7 or Dimarzio IBZ over EMG.

Actually, I'm quite glad that they don't use EMGs, it makes guitars look cheap now that Schecter and LTD has had them on everything they put out.

I liked the stock pups in my RG470 actually... They sounded way better than the stock pups in my RG7420. And the DiMarzio New 7s they were putting in the 7620s weren't really bad either. The neck pickup was actually kind of enjoyable. The bridge was a tiny bit "grainy/scratchy" sounding but it still sounded good relative to the other pups I've heard from Ibby

')