What is your favorite song over 20 minutes?

• Thread starter Seedawakener
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
My favorite would have to be Art Of Life by X Japan (about 29 minutes long if I remember correctly).

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Azyiu

Triad Hitman
Reaction score
Dream Theater - Octavarium
Dream Theater - A Change Of Seasons
Pink Floyd - Echoes
X-Japan - Art Of Life (love the entire song, except that 8-minute-long piano solo in the middle. I think it is at least 3-4 minutes too long)

Finally, Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence. Ok, this is "supposed" to be ONE as per the band and many DT fans, but I still have a hard time taking it as one song... but hell, for those who considered it is a single song, add this to the list.

Buzz762

Destroyer of Worlds
Contributor
Reaction score
Beethoven's 9th Symphony - 4th Movement 25m 44s

As for live versions of stuff, The Allman Brothers Band has a few really great tracks over 20 minutes... Whipping Post topping my favorites there, of course.

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
X-Japan - Art Of Life (love the entire song, except that 8-minute-long piano solo in the middle. I think it is at least 3-4 minutes too long)

Same here. It's a cool solo... until it just keeps going and going and going. It should have been like 4-5 minutes long and then went on to the next section of the song.

The thing about "Art Of Life" is that the first 12 minutes of it seem like it's only 3-4 minutes long. I mean, the intro to the song is like 4-5 minutes long, but seems like it's only about 1 minute long to me. The guitar solos in that song are so awesome.

:lol: I've actually sung "Art Of Life" in karaoke before (they have it!). Supposedly X Japan only performed "Art Of Life" live once. Seeing as it's pretty much a 30 minute long song, you can see why.

EDIT: THEY HAVE IT ON YOUTUBE (the one time they performed it live)! :eek: (divided into 3 parts, since it's 30 minutes long)

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8V5w6TH3aW8
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjIhwK94a6U (awesome guitar soloing :cool:)
Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5htRbuXCjM&mode=related&search=

Azyiu

Triad Hitman
Reaction score
The thing about "Art Of Life" is that the first 12 minutes of it seem like it's only 3-4 minutes long. I mean, the intro to the song is like 4-5 minutes long, but seems like it's only about 1 minute long to me. The guitar solos in that song are so awesome.

You are totally correct. The overall arrangement of the song (not just the guitar parts) is awesome. Yoshiki is a mad genius! BTW, thanks for the video, will check it out when I get home. :yesway:

All_¥our_Bass

Deathly Chuuni
Reaction score
"Echoes", "Atom Heart Mother" and "Shine On You Crazy Diamond", by the great Pink Floyd.

"Cacth 33" by Meshuggah.

Azyiu

Triad Hitman
Reaction score
All_¥our_Bass;411777 said:
"Echoes", "Atom Heart Mother" and "Shine On You Crazy Diamond", by the great Pink Floyd.

Damn right :yesway: , and I so wanted to list Shine On You Crazy Diamond as well. Although it was originally meant to be a 20 plus minutes long tune, the band ended up splitting it into two 12 or so minutes parts, and book ended Wish You Were Here. Great song, one of my all-time favs, but technically no quite qualified to be listed here. :lol:

Wiz

Reaction score
The Odyssey by Symphony X.

I know there's another one I should totally be mentioning but I can't remember now.

huber

Contributor
Reaction score
2112 really is incredible, and can never be acknowledged enough. Symphony X's The Odyssey, Meshuggah's 'I', and Tool's 10,000 Days are also favorite epics.

Korbain

Stay negative!
Reaction score
dear god, a song over 20 mins...tools 10,000 days had alot of that, narayan by the prodigy...iowa by slipknot...dear god, i can't think of much :noplease:

XEN

BEYOND 6UITAR & B4SS
Contributor
Reaction score
I by Meshuggah :hbang:

I liked Change of Seasons by DT but not the whole song, and fast forwarding to the parts I like on a CD is a pain in the ass.

Before that it was some old Deep Purple Live in Japan shit. I was big into them back in the early '80s.

Reaction score
Finally, Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence. Ok, this is "supposed" to be ONE as per the band and many DT fans, but I still have a hard time taking it as one song... but hell, for those who considered it is a single song, add this to the list.

I dont really see it as one song but its up there with the rest though. Its the same thing as Scenes from a memory. And I would definatly choose Scenes if I could, because that is the ultimate album. :metal: :hbang: :shred:

')