What is your favorite tuning?

• Thread starter Sdrizis89
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Sdrizis89

Reaction score
I'm trying to decide on a tuning to use for a solo project i am writing. I've been writing on my 6 strings in E standard and Drop C#. A lot of my favorite bands play in drop C and that's an option i'm considering. All of my 7 string writing is in Drop A or B standard. Im thinking of trying Drop G or Drop G#. Go crazy and use them all? I have enough guitars to do so :lol: Yes, i know, its all personal but i wonder what you guys like. So, what is your favorite tuning?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

fps

Kit
Reaction score
I'm trying to decide on a tuning to use for a solo project i am writing. I've been writing on my 6 strings in E standard and Drop C#. A lot of my favorite bands play in drop C and that's an option i'm considering. All of my 7 string writing is in Drop A or B standard. Im thinking of trying Drop G or Drop G#. Go crazy and use them all? I have enough guitars to do so :lol: Yes, i know, its all personal but i wonder what you guys like. So, what is your favorite tuning?

We write in drop C#, it suits our singer, and doesn't feel like a tuning a particular band "owns" in our genre (Tool - Drop D, Alice In Chains Eb, for instance). I have a 7 string and the bottom string is then G#, which works well for a bit of extra impact when needed. If you have the guitars, a variety is definitely good, although you could also try and write in different keys using one tuning too!

ghost_of_karelia

Utrydd dei Svake
Reaction score
I don't know why, but I really enjoy tunings around the D standard range. I'm of the mind that I'll only indulge in drop tunings (drop C and the gorgeous AGCFAD) if it either a) makes the song easier to play or b) opens up necessary notes in the lower range. I'm not actually sure why I like that kind of range so much, but I transposed my band's songs (formerly drop C#/D# standard) down a half-step and they just sounded tons better in my ears. Funnily enough, another half step down and I don't like it anymore. :lol:

I know, I spend half my time trying to figure out me too. :scratch::nuts:

Noisy Humbucker

Only obsesses over guitars when not playing them.
Reaction score
I also like things around D, though I can't make up my mind either. One thing some of my newer favorite bands do is to have a standard core tuning and only modifying the lowest string. So they might start with E standard for some songs, go to drop D for others and then drop that low string down to A (albeit with a heavier gauge string) in some instances. Another is D, D drop C and then D with the low note down to A. I'm really wanting to try something like these but I haven't been man enough to stray from the basics yet. :)

Adamewf

Reaction score
I only play in Eb Standard and then Drop Ab with a 7. Its just really straight forward, but obviously has slighter lower range than standard

mniel8195

Reaction score
6 string standard tuning. 7 string drop a. I am willing to go down a half step. I was using drop c for my 6 string i just don't feel as creative using drop tuning on 6 string guitars though.

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
I can't decide myself, each tuning seems to brings its positives and negatives. I have four 6-string electrics, each in a different tuning, so I can span just about any tuning between E Standard and Drop A.

FILTHnFEAR

Dread it, run from it....
Reaction score
I play anywhere from B standard to drop A on my 1527. 60-10 gauge stings.

My S920 is in drop C or C standard. 56-13 gauge.

My S2020x, drop D or standard. 48/52-10 gauge.

I find when I'm playing at home I tend to stick with my S2020x, because those tunings sound MUCH better at lower volumes as apposed to my 7 string that gets too flubby with the volume low enough not to piss off the roommate.

Guess I don't really have a favorite. Depends on what tuning I feel like that day.

Blood Tempest

Eschaton Mémoire
Contributor
Reaction score
C standard and drop G are my preferences. I like to mess around in standard tuning, but most of my writing ends up in C standard or drop G.

ScurrilousNerd

Reaction score
I also like things around D, though I can't make up my mind either. One thing some of my newer favorite bands do is to have a standard core tuning and only modifying the lowest string. So they might start with E standard for some songs, go to drop D for others and then drop that low string down to A (albeit with a heavier gauge string) in some instances. Another is D, D drop C and then D with the low note down to A. I'm really wanting to try something like these but I haven't been man enough to stray from the basics yet. :)

The Safety Fire? Mastodon? I do the whole AGCFAD thing on my guitar, and it is wicked. AADGBE seems like it would be cool too

ghostred7

Banned
Reaction score
Still getting used to it, but with current band I'm at ADGCFAD and absolutely love it.

stevexc

Reaction score
I really like D Standard, and I'm not sure why. It just feels right to me.

Open D/Open Dsus4 are also fun, especially for clean stuff. DADF#AD and DADGAD, respectively.

IbanezDaemon

Raptus regaliter
Reaction score
E Standard and B Standard for 7's.

Down a Half step for Yngwie, early Slayer etc.

Most of my fave material is in those tunings.

Thanatopsis

Reaction score
I played mainly in drop tunings for a while but in the last couple years started using standard tunings(mostly either E or B). I found that I ended up being a little more creative in standard tunings.

Nag

chugs and screams
Reaction score
standard D on sixes, sometimes drop C. drop A on sevens.

Dayn

Reaction score
For my eight-string guitars, the first six are in standard, but I swap between BE and AC# on the bottom strings. The first blends perfectly with standard tuning, and the second gives some interesting phrasing with the range of a nine-string guitar.

I don't have any other guitars other than eight-strings right now. Though I'd love a six-string to use in drop C and variations there of, including open D minor.

I'm just not sure about seven-strings though... standard I guess. I honestly can't think of anything. It'd either be one string I won't use, or it'll be missing a string, so I'd rather use an eight.

Metlupass2

Reaction score
1/2 step down on almost all my guitars

I use the transpose on my Kemper to get to those LOW LOW CHUGGA CHUGGA tunings and it actually does very well. I was jamming with some Type of Negative Christian Woman just a few minutes ago.

')