What is your next guitar/gear purchase gonna be?

Stiman

Reaction score
Aaannnd the job is done:
View attachment 135152View attachment 135151

Now THIS really completes the look for me while keeping the sound of the Hyperions that I love so much in this guitar.

It was a bit of a bigger pain in the butt than I thought it would be because the covers kept bulging up at the sides and it wasn't 100% flush with the pole pieces once it was fully in, but a couple of grip clamps and a screwdriver did the trick.

I was also kinda a dumb idiot and forgot that neck pickups are usually standard sized, and I got a pair of trembucker covers... I ordered one standard sized humbucker cover once I realized, so now I have an extra trembucker cover that I am debating whether to return or to just add to my pile of extra guitar parts.

It does look a lot better, I agree. I also love the Hyperion pickups. Mine (AZ2204B) came with the cover on the bridge humbucker. I had planned to remove it (the cover) when the guitar arrived but it's grown on me now.

Question, could you have/or did you consider soldering the cover to the baseplate? Maybe you did and didn't mention it.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle Jordan

Ace of Knaves
Reaction score
Really starting to think a Strandberg Boden Classic NX or Kiesel Headless Delos are the two leading options for the six string pickup swapper guitar project I'd like to put together. I can route either with a swimming pool route and get several pickguards that I can load with different pups. My Aristides H/08 has made me love the compactness of headless guitars.

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
It does look a lot better, I agree. I also love the Hyperion pickups. Mine (AZ2204B) came with the cover on the bridge humbucker. I had planned to remove it (the cover) when the guitar arrived but it's grown on me now.

Question, could you have/or did you consider soldering the cover to the baseplate? Maybe you did and didn't mention it.
Thanks! Yeah for this guitar in this particular color that's the way it should have been done from the get-go, imo. I also find the 2204B looks better with the covered bridge humbucker, though I do think it's a particular look with the mismatched middle and neck pickups. Has a bit more of a "tinkered with" vibe that I really dig.

And yeah, I did solder the base to the covers. That was one of the things I needed the clamps for. The covers would bulge a little outwards once I pushed the pickup in, which created a gap too large between the base and the cover. Before soldering (that was the last step) I added a little bit of paraffin wax inside of the covers to make sure the bobbins/pole pieces would not vibrate at different rates to the covers. (Not sure if in practice that is really needed, but I wanted to be on the safe side.) Once the pickups were fully in, I clamped it down and then I heated the cover from the top with a heat gun to melt the paraffin a little so that it would make good contact with the bobbins. I let it cool, removed the clamp, and that's when I put two tiny clamps on the sides and did the soldering. Then I heated the cover from the top again in case the pickup moved while I clamped and did the soldering.

In the end there might have been a 0.5mm gap between the top of the bobbin and the cover, so I raised the pole piece screws a bit to be flush with the cover. I noticed that the guitar sounds a bit more aggressive than I was expecting after all that (i.e. a little bit hotter and a bit more bite). However, that may have just been the sound of some crisp new strings I put on, which my brain then probably wrongly attributed to the pickup covers/lifting the pole pieces. All I know is the guitar sounds great

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
Update: That Warwick Corvette Standard 5 is wicked. Biggest/heaviest neck I could have fathomed (11.4lb/5.2kg overall), but the growl and punch are just right.

Now I've ordered a Darkglass Alpha-Omega 500 head, because you can't have one without the other.

Nothing sounds like a Warwick. I have a $$ 5-string and it cuts through a mix like nothing else.

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
7AD11B04-143F-4920-B64A-6F3B321651DC.jpeg

This just arrived (while I’m gone). Wondering if I should flip it for $575 on Reverb like everyone else. Nah, I’m not @narad

(I kid I kid! 😆)

MatrixClaw

Whoaaa No Way!!!
Reaction score
Picked up a v1 Strymon BlueSky today in a trade and it's great. I've been searching for a delay I loved for years but think I may have just been missing a great reverb...

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
I'll tell you what's not my next gear purchase. This sweet one-off 8-string spalt top Amorous:

6bea5e40b849e21f82c585d3bc9ce7c0156b83.jpg

Because my company decided to have new years party today. This is why you -never- -leave- -home-! Always be watching! You never know when the gods of ishibashi may smile down upon you!

Seabeast2000

Deathcult® NPC
Reaction score
You might have to sell that to @Holloway as a matter of international law.

narad

Reaction score
You might have to sell that to @Holloway as a matter of international law.

I can't, I missed it. But I would have otherwise had the sympathy to. I still have my Stef B8 floyd project to push on with at some point I guess as far as 8s go.. just a shame, I always wanted an 8 string spalt from back when Vik was cool.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
That said, this is the actual latest purchase...

415301465_1747402755737941_2680146098947597779_n.jpg

One of only two Ibanez I had and regret selling... and prices went batshit crazy on them so I am unlikely to ever get another one. I can only assume you got a better price on it than what I'm seeing them go for :lol:

narad

Reaction score
One of only two Ibanez I had and regret selling... and prices went batshit crazy on them so I am unlikely to ever get another one. I can only assume you got a better price on it than what I'm seeing them go for :lol:

Yea, likely. I basically have to turn around and let it go to undo the damage of the Kubicki strat purchase the other night. That or I just don't pay for the Kubicki strat, eat the negative feedback, and hope the foreign guy doesn't show up to bid on it the next time around....hmmm...

Shask

Reaction score
First purchase of 2024 - picked up a 2011 MIJ Charvel So-Cal. Physical condition is not fantastic but everything else is great.

I have one of these, and I have been playing it more lately. I shimmed the neck and messed with the pickup height, so it is playing better than it has in awhile.

')