What is your next guitar/gear purchase gonna be?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle Jordan

Ace of Knaves
Reaction score
Toss my few previous posts in this thread aside: I want an Anderson again. It's the priority now.

Impromptu get together last night with friends I've jammed with in the past and some lesser known acquaintances. One of the guys I know but not well showed up with an Angel he's had for almost a year.

Andersons just have something special about them. Now I just need to decide the direction I want to go with the build.

My latest purchase was a free-way 10-way blade switch, and EMG SPC, and an EMG EXG. Now I'm finding out the sweeps on those controls are quite limited vs. something like the Clapton mid-boost and TBX, which offers up to 25dB of mid boost. I think I made the wrong call...not sure I can return them though.
Unless you're looking for a massive boost, I'd say give the SPC a chance first.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Emphatic no. I have them on all of my guitars, and rarely -- if ever -- turn them above 6.
I haven't installed my first EXG yet, but the SPC makes a HUGE difference and can wake up a sleepy jam session. I rarely use more than 20-50% SPC for HBs and 70% for singles.

Hmm, interesting -- are you using singles (EMG SA?)

BabUShka

Reaction score
Im bidding on a Ran Crusher 6 for $700 if the seller would like to send. Any thoughs? They used to be popular before. But havent heard that much about them lately.

Turd Ferguson

Reaction score
I bought a rack line mixer so I can run all my heads into a single FX unit, power amp and array of cabs. Don't know why I didn't think of this a long time ago.

Also, ordered an SD-1, because I just have to have all the OD flavors, apparently.

DeathByButterslax

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Traded my 101b XTC for the top one.

F4D04023-BF07-4457-9B7E-FEDEFAAC642B.jpeg

Pretty cool amp, took some time to dial in.
Sound wise reminds me of a more upfront Friedman feel wise it reminds me of Diezel.

Either way it’s very different than the other two.

I think it’s a keeper

MatrixClaw

Whoaaa No Way!!!
Reaction score
Traded my 101b XTC for the top one.

View attachment 137752

Pretty cool amp, took some time to dial in.
Sound wise reminds me of a more upfront Friedman feel wise it reminds me of Diezel.

Either way it’s very different than the other two.

I think it’s a keeper
Nice! I've been curious to try one of those but I don't know if I could give my 101b up for it, even if it's worth more.

Shask

Reaction score
I bought a rack line mixer so I can run all my heads into a single FX unit, power amp and array of cabs. Don't know why I didn't think of this a long time ago.

Also, ordered an SD-1, because I just have to have all the OD flavors, apparently.
That is what I have been doing. What mixer did you get?

I keep looking at simpler ways of doing this, but I keep coming back to the fact that this way just works, even if it is not as small and compact as I would like. Currently I have 3 rack effects processors in the loops.

DeathByButterslax

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Nice! I've been curious to try one of those but I don't know if I could give my 101b up for it, even if it's worth more.
I totally get it, I just didn’t use all the features of the 101b myself. And I just found that I would spin through all the channels switches For 20 minutes before I’d even play.

Wicked amp though. I preferred it over the uberschalls I’ve had and tried.

MatrixClaw

Whoaaa No Way!!!
Reaction score
I totally get it, I just didn’t use all the features of the 101b myself. And I just found that I would spin through all the channels switches For 20 minutes before I’d even play.

Wicked amp though. I preferred it over the uberschalls I’ve had and tried.
I definitely don't use all the features on mine. I basically flipped through everything, set them where I liked and haven't touched them since :lol: Uberschall sounded great when boosted to me, but insanely loose without it. I liked the Twin Jet better but KT-88s always make amps sound too stiff to me...

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I need to stop saying "i'm good on guitars." Now I want a 2nd PRS 277. :lol: The one I planned on using for super-low tunings ended up finding it's way to C standard/drop A#. So yeah gonna probably hunt down a 2nd 277 for the sake of tuning down to F.

Slight change of plans. Found a super cheap Ibanez SZ320 lol

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Well the good news, after a weekend of work it's all cleaned up. It was a real charity case, arriving non-functional, and with stuff hiding in the trem cavity that I probably should have called hazmat about. The electronics tidied, stickers removed, preamp fixed, and it is/was looking great:

ABLVV86t9UcEjLtatJ1X914nlt_xDZzzfqYUAuNkkC4XWTRXB3K-pdoR2-DEyMQeA_I3cIYMUtfA2i93Bt5Tova5KAol2QE0p8hloqb7Hy01_WVgLhJvFiElvL5M5e-rDaOYrO455_767TCJJW8C8uONAfAQSw=w1355-h1806-s-no-gm

ABLVV84JWKiw-J35HSbwAuAnct_OxnkaT-hhDdaI9zQozcLqNSzeJ-D7wml0VqvHJbTiC3L17_2SjvFEdcw0f4qlS3Rk8BS_OjlD6CgDzmtINjx7DM1Yg46RKOcvhYNwsV6vETgBRnYoecIw788nHElmapNVsw=w1355-h1806-s-no-gm

Then ten minutes later I had it laid across the top of an amp, hit it with my butt, and sent it crashing to the floor :'(

Looks like mostly fine but the top edge of the headstock got all scuffed through the clearcoat. I guess it's fixable but goddammit. Only the 3rd or 4th time I think I've damaged a guitar in more than a decade.

Turd Ferguson

Reaction score
That is what I have been doing. What mixer did you get?

I keep looking at simpler ways of doing this, but I keep coming back to the fact that this way just works, even if it is not as small and compact as I would like. Currently I have 3 rack effects processors in the loops.

I rolled the dice on a cheap Behringer RX1602, based on the positive reviews. Only had it about a month, but so far I have no complaints.

I have 5 heads, a couple preamps and my USB interface going into it. The mixer output goes to a GSP1101 for stereo FX, then to a Peavey Classic 60/60 power amp and a bunch of cabs. All the amps/cabs used to be kind of independent rigs of their own (each amp had its own cab, FX unit, etc). So this really streamlined it all into one massive stereo rig. I just take the main pedalboard output and plug into whichever amp I want to play. I have an A/B switch upstream of the pedal board to switch between a "clean amp" signal path and a high gain signal path. Which is nice because I've never been happy with all the compromises between clean/dirty using a two-channel amp.

It's awesome with PC modeling too. Sometimes I think that sounds better than my actual amps. Which is a bit annoying because they're usually free NAM captures. LOL.

Shask

Reaction score
I rolled the dice on a cheap Behringer RX1602, based on the positive reviews. Only had it about a month, but so far I have no complaints.

I have 5 heads, a couple preamps and my USB interface going into it. The mixer output goes to a GSP1101 for stereo FX, then to a Peavey Classic 60/60 power amp and a bunch of cabs. All the amps/cabs used to be kind of independent rigs of their own (each amp had its own cab, FX unit, etc). So this really streamlined it all into one massive stereo rig. I just take the main pedalboard output and plug into whichever amp I want to play. I have an A/B switch upstream of the pedal board to switch between a "clean amp" signal path and a high gain signal path. Which is nice because I've never been happy with all the compromises between clean/dirty using a two-channel amp.

It's awesome with PC modeling too. Sometimes I think that sounds better than my actual amps. Which is a bit annoying because they're usually free NAM captures. LOL.
I remember looking at that one, but it doesn't have any Aux sends, so that was something I wanted so that I could run effects in parallel. I got a Samson SM-10.

I was running various tube heads into a reactive load, then into the mixer. I have a few rack effects units running through the mixer by using the Aux and Mon sends to the inputs of the mixer. Then I ran the output of the mixer into a solid state poweramp for reamping.

However, I recently changed it because I got a Synergy setup. Now I have the Synergy preamp into the mixer, with the effects in the loops, and then out into a KT88 Poweramp. For testing I currently have the Synergy into one input, and then the Synergy through a Fractal FM3, and then into the mixer so I can easily test the difference of running through the Fractal or not. I still have Lexicon, TC Electronics, and Fractal units through the mixer loops.

It is kind of a beautiful mess right now, lol. It is a big test bed for comparisons. It kind of did the same thing for me. A way to centralize everything into a stereo rig where I can drive 2 212 cabs with a variety of things.

Nobody

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I just got a Squier Sonic Tele. The frets are a bit sharp on the edges but other than that I really like it. I wanted a cheap guitar to toss around and put stickers on. Pretty happy so far.

MoistTowelette

Reaction score
The multi watt triple rectifier I got a few weeks ago was way more fizzy than I remembered. I couldn't dial out the high end fizz and even swapped tubes so I returned it. I got my hands on another multi watt triple rectifier today through a trade and there's no fizz and sounds just how I remember it. Gotta wonder how much of the online rectifier hate is based off of lemons.

')