What is your next guitar/gear purchase gonna be?

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
The comma takes the place of the period. If I understand correctly, he paid $350. Not sure if joking, but I thought I'd put my $,02 in...

Oh yea, I'm used to reading prices with commas so it didn't even occur to me. I just mean more like, since I'm in Japan, what pedal (presumably of Japan origin) is worth $350 used + $90 in customs fees. And in that case I should probably also buy it :D

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
So the Hagstrom came in and it actually sounds fucking killer. Plays like a beast, too. Probably the most shreddy Les Paul I've ever play with insanely low action.

I'm also probably gonna end up keeping it passive. Use it as a test bed to try different passive pickups.

Starting with the DiMarzio Super 3. I know @KnightBrolaire hates this pickup, but I'm fucking curious., :lol:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
So the Hagstrom came in and it actually sounds fucking killer. Plays like a beast, too. Probably the most shreddy Les Paul I've ever play with insanely low action.

I'm also probably gonna end up keeping it passive. Use it as a test bed to try different passive pickups.

Starting with the DiMarzio Super 3. I know @KnightBrolaire hates this pickup, but I'm fucking curious., :lol:
I don't hate it per se, I just like it the least out of every pickup I've tried in my shootout. It's an ok pickup. It's good for stuff like The Sword/Kyuss/Pelican/etc, but that's about it imo.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I don't hate it per se, I just like it the least out of every pickup I've tried in my shootout. It's an ok pickup. It's good for stuff like The Sword/Kyuss/Pelican/etc, but that's about it imo.

I just remember you saying you weren't to fond of it, so I kinda avoided it. But man, I just need to try it. It's just been one of those passives I've ALWAYS been curious about.

KnightBrolaire

Reaction score
I just remember you saying you weren't to fond of it, so I kinda avoided it. But man, I just need to try it. It's just been one of those passives I've ALWAYS been curious about.
well if you don't dig it, at least used dimarzios are pretty easy to get rid of, so there's that :lol:

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score

LeftOurEyes

Reaction score
Even though I shouldn't spend money right now, all the HM-2 talk got me wanting a Throne Torcher. A batch finally popped up on their site and since its such a pain to keep checking the site to see what pedals hes building currently, I just caved in and bought one. And it looks like I got the last one too so I guess I'm glad lol.

KnightBrolaire

Reaction score
Well at the moment its still those 3 pickups, or a BKP Cold Sweat, Painkiller, or Elysian Trident
that's a big spread soundwise lol. I'd say scratch the painkillers unless you're putting em in a darker sounding guitar, they're obnoxiously bright. They also have this hairy/fizzy quality to the high end and their cleans suck dick. They are pretty tight feeling though, they chug and scream with utter ease, so if you want all br00tz all the time, they're good for that. The neck is nice for leads but not quite as good as say the jugg neck or the cold sweat, both of those excel at liquidy smooth lead tones and sweeps, etc.

Can't comment on the cold sweat bridge yet, but the neck is excellent for liquidy shred leads and has nice cleans. think liquifire but clearer sounding basically.
Tridents are def one of my favorite pickups. Tight low end, snarly mids, very clear sounding, great split sounds, really good cleans. Trident II is even snarlier in the mids and higher output.

Kaura

Je suis ketchup
Reaction score
The comma takes the place of the period. If I understand correctly, he paid $350. Not sure if joking, but I thought I'd put my $,02 in...

Oh, yeah. I paid $350. I didn't remember there were some weird rules about typing prices in English. In Finnish, commas are only used for cents. :lol:

nateispro

Reaction score
Nice Nate, did you sell the Science?

Also of course boost it.

I traded it for this CL100, I love Science with all my being and Alex is amazing, Ive just lusted after VHT's for so long I had to jump on it!

Also interested in Science vs. VHT comparisons.

When I get it Ill be able to tell you how it compares to the Hellhawk and the Decolonizer Ive had!

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
that's a big spread soundwise lol. I'd say scratch the painkillers unless you're putting em in a darker sounding guitar, they're obnoxiously bright. They also have this hairy/fizzy quality to the high end and their cleans suck dick. They are pretty tight feeling though, they chug and scream with utter ease, so if you want all br00tz all the time, they're good for that. The neck is nice for leads but not quite as good as say the jugg neck or the cold sweat, both of those excel at liquidy smooth lead tones and sweeps, etc.

Can't comment on the cold sweat bridge yet, but the neck is excellent for liquidy shred leads and has nice cleans. think liquifire but clearer sounding basically.
Tridents are def one of my favorite pickups. Tight low end, snarly mids, very clear sounding, great split sounds, really good cleans. Trident II is even snarlier in the mids and higher output.

I may just bite the bullet and wait for a used Dominion to pop up. Might as well get the best option first since everyone and their cat seems to love it. :lol:

Also forgot about the Dean Baker Act. Supposed to be a cool pickup as well. Kind of a meaner JB apparently?