What is your next guitar/gear purchase gonna be?

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
After buying the Ibby doubleneck, I'm a bit behind on the purchase list. Even worse is that I'm seriously considering modding the doubleneck into stereo output Don Felder style using 2 Mad Hatter kits.

But that just adds up to more Mad Hatter orders. :lol: Plus I have to get the Tri Avatar v2.

I'm also dangerously browsing the Sophia Tremolos site. The Global Tuner Pro block is really enticing, and Mike's (eaeolian) recent build thread is not helping at all...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Choop

uwu
Reaction score
Decided to shift my focus from the AC30 style amps to a Fender Bassman of some sort, for something even more simple that I can tinker around with. There's a Bassman 100 pretty close to me in great shape for ~$700...just trying to decide if I want it to be more of a full-on clean pedal platform or if I wanna look for a Bassman 50 and get more natural overdrive from the amp itself. Herm! D:

ATRguitar91

Reaction score
With my birthday coming up, I'm looking for something to grab. I don't feel like I'm lacking anything between my HX Stomp, preamp pedals, and variety of cabs.

At the moment I've honed in on either the Master Effects Marauder or grabbing a Ceres. Maybe even try a new poweramp as I've had my Rocktron Velocity for years now. Something more transparent like a Powerstage or Crown PA amp would be interesting with the Stomp.

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
Decided to shift my focus from the AC30 style amps to a Fender Bassman of some sort, for something even more simple that I can tinker around with. There's a Bassman 100 pretty close to me in great shape for ~$700...just trying to decide if I want it to be more of a full-on clean pedal platform or if I wanna look for a Bassman 50 and get more natural overdrive from the amp itself. Herm! D:

How loud can you turn it up? A Bassman circuit in general (there is 1959/1960 410 combo, Blackface, Brown face, Silverface, Edge Drip, and 100) doesn't break up until around 6 and there is no master volume, although you can get some bark and decent SRV tones at 4. But true SRV tone happens at 6.

And its clean is not like modern amps most people are familiar with. I have a high end 1959 Bassman clone and at minimum volume (under 1) it is too loud for an apartment. The same is true for it's cousins like the Showman and Bandmaster.

This is at a 10:

This guy is awesome for Hendrix and SRV tones:

Tl;Dr you're going to need an attenuator. :lol:

Choop

uwu
Reaction score
How loud can you turn it up? A Bassman circuit in general (there is 1959/1960 410 combo, Blackface, Brown face, Silverface, Edge Drip, and 100) doesn't break up until around 6 and there is no master volume, although you can get some bark and decent SRV tones at 4. But true SRV tone happens at 6.

And its clean is not like modern amps most people are familiar with. I have a high end 1959 Bassman clone and at minimum volume (under 1) it is too loud for an apartment. The same is true for it's cousins like the Showman and Bandmaster.

This is at a 10:

This guy is awesome for Hendrix and SRV tones:

Tl;Dr you're going to need an attenuator. :lol:

Thanks for the awesome examples! I live in a house, so I can turn up to a reasonable volume depending on the time of day. ~6 on the volume would probably be pushing it for home playing still, but I would be ok with compensating for gain with an OD or something. My girlfriend has a Bassman Ten actually, the silverface 410 one. I can play on it, but it has a bad speaker that she isn't motivated to have fixed, and it's not something I can use all the time.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Arghh, one of my vintage US groove tube 6L6s went bad while at Mesa. Not sure exactly what the purchase will be, but probably not gonna find a direct replacement for that :-/

USMarine75

Contributor
Reaction score
The new Epiphone Slash sig (Anaconda green) is killer. The Epiphone Probuckers are overwound (to match his Gibson Burstbuckers) and they sound killer IMO. So good that I'm holding off putting in his SD pickups until I've played it more. And from what I understand everything he's recorded (and maybe live?) have been the Burstbuckers. Very percussive tones that compress nicely with gain.

My only initial "complaint" was it came from Music Zoo with fairly high action (Sweetwater, Andertons, and Wildwood have spoiled me with their free setups) and either the strings or frets have some kind of oxidation that stained my hands (this was after I cleaned strings btw). But TBH I'm digging the high action lol. I'm curious how much of the sustain and bark I'd lose by lowering it. I might try lowering a tiny amount just to make legato easier.

Another "negative" might be that the top definitely looks like low grade photoflame. It would feel great shame sitting next to a PRS lol. But it's also subtle in a good way. It is available in other colors that may look better up close and in person. YMMV

But in general Epiphone is really hitting it out of the park with these.

Screenshot_20210729-105038_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:

KnightBrolaire

Pickup Connoisseur
Reaction score
I just keep building pedal clones. I cant stop, lol! I counted last night I have done 22 so far this summer, and have a few more on the way.

I also bought some push in Floyd tremelo bar upgrades for a few of my guitars.
damn, that's a lot. Want to finish my Hm2 clone for me? It's been sitting in my gear room for like 2 years unfinished :lol:

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Arghh, one of my vintage US groove tube 6L6s went bad while at Mesa. Not sure exactly what the purchase will be, but probably not gonna find a direct replacement for that :-/

Always keep a spare set of current production tubes to throw in an amp when shipping. Never ship stuff for service with expensive NOS tubes in it.

narad

Reaction score
Always keep a spare set of current production tubes to throw in an amp when shipping. Never ship stuff for service with expensive NOS tubes in it.

:( True. I'm not really sure why I had to send the tubes to begin with, but figured the advantage is that it'd come to back to me all biased up perfectly.

Shask

Reaction score
damn, that's a lot. Want to finish my Hm2 clone for me? It's been sitting in my gear room for like 2 years unfinished :lol:
I could build it in like an hour, lol. The electronics are easy. I think messing with the enclosures is the worst part. I gave up on trying to make them look pretty.

I was trying to make a list.

These are the clones I have finished in the last 6-7 weeks:
Parallel Mixer pedal
Savage Drive
Precision Drive
Duncan 805
Timmy V3
Buxom Boost
VFE Ice Scream
EQD Plumes
Way Huge Green Rhino MkII
Way Huge Swollen Pickle
Naga Viper Treble Booster
Diezel VH4 Preamp
Dr Boogie Preamp
Yamaha NE-1 Bass Preamp
Mu-Tron Phasor II
BBE Sonic Stomp
Integrated Pre / 33 / Grind
EQD Warden Compressor
Peavey XXX Footswitch
SLO mods to my Jet City (Not a pedal, but.....)

Pedals pretty much done but waiting on like one part:
Big Muff Op-Amp version
EQD Space Spiral Delay

Pedals gonna start soon:
EQD Grand Orbiter Phaser
Keeley Magnetic Echo
Walrus Julia Chorus

Mourguitars

Reaction score
I could build it in like an hour, lol. The electronics are easy. I think messing with the enclosures is the worst part. I gave up on trying to make them look pretty.

I was trying to make a list.

These are the clones I have finished in the last 6-7 weeks:
Parallel Mixer pedal
Savage Drive
Precision Drive
Duncan 805
Timmy V3
Buxom Boost
VFE Ice Scream
EQD Plumes
Way Huge Green Rhino MkII
Way Huge Swollen Pickle
Naga Viper Treble Booster
Diezel VH4 Preamp
Dr Boogie Preamp
Yamaha NE-1 Bass Preamp
Mu-Tron Phasor II
BBE Sonic Stomp
Integrated Pre / 33 / Grind
EQD Warden Compressor
Peavey XXX Footswitch
SLO mods to my Jet City (Not a pedal, but.....)

Pedals pretty much done but waiting on like one part:
Big Muff Op-Amp version
EQD Space Spiral Delay

Pedals gonna start soon:
EQD Grand Orbiter Phaser
Keeley Magnetic Echo
Walrus Julia Chorus

6 to 7 weeks ..... Damn Dude you been busy ....lol

Nice list and choices....i would love to have the time to build one !

You a one man building machine ! LOL

Congrats

Mike

Mourguitars

Reaction score
I just keep building pedal clones. I cant stop, lol! I counted last night I have done 22 so far this summer, and have a few more on the way.

I also bought some push in Floyd tremelo bar upgrades for a few of my guitars.

Its addictive for sure !

Shask

Reaction score
6 to 7 weeks ..... Damn Dude you been busy ....lol

Nice list and choices....i would love to have the time to build one !

You a one man building machine ! LOL

Congrats

Mike
I had some time off work, so just been doing it in my free time, lol. I can usually build 3 PCBs in 1 day, and then drill and box the next day. It seems like I spend more time waiting for parts than anything, lol. Ive been doing this for years, so I am pretty efficient at it. I built 15-20 pedals 3-4 years ago also right after PedalPCB got started.

I think after this batch I will be done until the THAT chips for the muzzle and FV-1 chips for the digital stuff are available again. It could be 6 months or more for those to be back in stock though due to the semiconductor shortage. I cant solder SMT, so I will have to wait until the per-soldered options are available.

Mourguitars

Reaction score
Once you get into that grove you can pump them out ! I looked at the new offerings that i like to build , printed out the build docs and went on a search for IC's and some odd stuff i dont have and ...out of stock !

Lol...keep building

Mike

USMarine75

Contributor
Reaction score
Instead of buying something watch this ya gearwhorin heathens.

First time released in full, in honor of Dusty's passing. One of the great shows in rock history. Billy was a monster long before their more pop sounding Sharp Dressed Man days.

Ok now you can get back to buying shit... :lol:

narad

Reaction score
Instead of buying something watch this ya gearwhorin heathens.

First time released in full, in honor of Dusty's passing. One of the great shows in rock history. Billy was a monster long before their more pop sounding Sharp Dressed Man days.

Ok now you can get back to buying shit... :lol:

Whelp just bought a 1959 Les Paul and a tophat. Thanks, @USMarine75

')