What is your next guitar/gear purchase gonna be?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

youngthrasher9

Ur Mom Is Too Much Gain
Reaction score
The new Epiphone Slash sig (Anaconda green) is killer. The Epiphone Probuckers are overwound (to match his Gibson Burstbuckers) and they sound killer IMO. So good that I'm holding off putting in his SD pickups until I've played it more. And from what I understand everything he's recorded (and maybe live?) have been the Burstbuckers. Very percussive tones that compress nicely with gain.

My only initial "complaint" was it came from Music Zoo with fairly high action (Sweetwater, Andertons, and Wildwood have spoiled me with their free setups) and either the strings or frets have some kind of oxidation that stained my hands (this was after I cleaned strings btw). But TBH I'm digging the high action lol. I'm curious how much of the sustain and bark I'd lose by lowering it. I might try lowering a tiny amount just to make legato easier.

Another "negative" might be that the top definitely looks like low grade photoflame. It would feel great shame sitting next to a PRS lol. But it's also subtle in a good way. It is available in other colors that may look better up close and in person. YMMV

But in general Epiphone is really hitting it out of the park with these.
I’ve been wondering about the quality on this new era of epiphones. The prophecy V looks pretty kickass too IMO.

mmr007

(anti)Social Influencer
Reaction score
I wish I knew what my next guitar or piece of gear was because honestly 99% of my purchases are unplanned and a result of bookmarked guitar websites and/or free time

Turd Ferguson

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Wasn't a planned purchase but I got this from Goodwill for $24.49 with 20% off so $19.59.

Gonna try it out for amp sims/IRs with a tube power amp.

cab.JPG

laxu

Reaction score
I could build it in like an hour, lol. The electronics are easy. I think messing with the enclosures is the worst part. I gave up on trying to make them look pretty.

I was trying to make a list.

These are the clones I have finished in the last 6-7 weeks:
Parallel Mixer pedal
Savage Drive
Precision Drive
Duncan 805
Timmy V3
Buxom Boost
VFE Ice Scream
EQD Plumes
Way Huge Green Rhino MkII
Way Huge Swollen Pickle
Naga Viper Treble Booster
Diezel VH4 Preamp
Dr Boogie Preamp
Yamaha NE-1 Bass Preamp
Mu-Tron Phasor II
BBE Sonic Stomp
Integrated Pre / 33 / Grind
EQD Warden Compressor
Peavey XXX Footswitch
SLO mods to my Jet City (Not a pedal, but.....)

Pedals pretty much done but waiting on like one part:
Big Muff Op-Amp version
EQD Space Spiral Delay

Pedals gonna start soon:
EQD Grand Orbiter Phaser
Keeley Magnetic Echo
Walrus Julia Chorus

Woah, that's a lot of pedals. Having built all these, do you have any tips and tricks for those of us who want to try the DIY route? I ordered some Musikding kits of the Browne Protein sides and of the Hudson Broadcast.

Also which ones of that list are your favorites that you would recommend?

Accoun

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
There's an OR15 up for sale on a local site and it's so tempting... It's quite a lot of money for me, still - but it just was my birthday, so I might treat myself?

As far as actually buying things, finally got a Reaper license after leeching off the free trial for so long and got the Amplitube Orange expansion on sale.

Shask

Reaction score
Woah, that's a lot of pedals. Having built all these, do you have any tips and tricks for those of us who want to try the DIY route? I ordered some Musikding kits of the Browne Protein sides and of the Hudson Broadcast.

Also which ones of that list are your favorites that you would recommend?
I have a ton of pedals, lol. This probably isn't even 1/4 of them.

Its hard to say favorites, because it depends on what purpose you have with it. From this group the most useful has probably been the Parallel Mix pedal. I built it to run my rack units in parallel in the loop to have an analog dry-thru, which makes a huge difference in the clarity of effects. Kinda boring, but it makes other things better. The Sonic Maximizer clone has been a surprise also. I know people hate on them, but it is working great at adding a natural depth/resonance without sounding overly scooped, or filtered like an EQ.

As far as all the OD pedals, I guess it just depends on what you are looking for in an OD pedal. It is always so amp and guitar dependent, and I constantly switch around. I really like the Buxom boost because it is different than the TS type. The Timmy V3 has been a surprise also, because the high gain switch seems to make the bass and treble controls more dramatic, and it makes a better metal boost than the older versions. I built the Green Rhino because I have the original. Many people think the MkII version is the best sounding one, and they are getting harder to find, so I wanted a backup, and got another PCB in case I want another later on. I love that pedal. One of my other favorite boosts is the BYOC Green Pony, which is a transparent to TS type pedal with clipping and bass options. The Precision and 805 are cool also. Basically, I like all Tubescreamers with bass controls, lol.

I wouldn't build modulation or delay or reverb or anything like that until you get some experience with OD pedals. These are far more complicated, and some experience with the basics will help. They also take parts that can be harder to find.

As far as building, I would say measure every part you can before you put it in. I measure every resistor, capacitor, and diode before I put them in. Double check your orientation and make sure you have things the right way. Build from shortest to tallest. I do resistors, then diodes, then sockets, then caps, then oddball things. I solder about every 5 parts, and inspect your soldering after you cut the leads. Touch up anything suspect, and measure continuity if you are not sure if something is touching. Use sockets for all ICs and transistors. Basically, go slow and be thorough. Measure and inspect constantly. Put the pots in the enclosure, line up everything, and solder them with it put together. Fixing mistakes takes about 10x longer than just doing it right the first time, so be sure that everything is correct before moving on. I would say 99% of mine work right the first time I turn them on. I rarely have issues to fix.

laxu

Reaction score
I have a ton of pedals, lol. This probably isn't even 1/4 of them.

Its hard to say favorites, because it depends on what purpose you have with it. From this group the most useful has probably been the Parallel Mix pedal. I built it to run my rack units in parallel in the loop to have an analog dry-thru, which makes a huge difference in the clarity of effects. Kinda boring, but it makes other things better. The Sonic Maximizer clone has been a surprise also. I know people hate on them, but it is working great at adding a natural depth/resonance without sounding overly scooped, or filtered like an EQ.

As far as all the OD pedals, I guess it just depends on what you are looking for in an OD pedal. It is always so amp and guitar dependent, and I constantly switch around. I really like the Buxom boost because it is different than the TS type. The Timmy V3 has been a surprise also, because the high gain switch seems to make the bass and treble controls more dramatic, and it makes a better metal boost than the older versions. I built the Green Rhino because I have the original. Many people think the MkII version is the best sounding one, and they are getting harder to find, so I wanted a backup, and got another PCB in case I want another later on. I love that pedal. One of my other favorite boosts is the BYOC Green Pony, which is a transparent to TS type pedal with clipping and bass options. The Precision and 805 are cool also. Basically, I like all Tubescreamers with bass controls, lol.

I wouldn't build modulation or delay or reverb or anything like that until you get some experience with OD pedals. These are far more complicated, and some experience with the basics will help. They also take parts that can be harder to find.

As far as building, I would say measure every part you can before you put it in. I measure every resistor, capacitor, and diode before I put them in. Double check your orientation and make sure you have things the right way. Build from shortest to tallest. I do resistors, then diodes, then sockets, then caps, then oddball things. I solder about every 5 parts, and inspect your soldering after you cut the leads. Touch up anything suspect, and measure continuity if you are not sure if something is touching. Use sockets for all ICs and transistors. Basically, go slow and be thorough. Measure and inspect constantly. Put the pots in the enclosure, line up everything, and solder them with it put together. Fixing mistakes takes about 10x longer than just doing it right the first time, so be sure that everything is correct before moving on. I would say 99% of mine work right the first time I turn them on. I rarely have issues to fix.

Thanks for the tips! That's the approach I aim to go for.

I generally avoid TS type pedals because the midrange is often too honky for the amps I use. Even the Fender style clean channel on my Bogner has more midrange than say a Deluxe Reverb so adding a TS on that tends to be too much whereas something like a Klon is just right. Besides I'd rather not build a TS but would just buy a Digitech Bad Monkey for peanuts since it's a TS with a bass control and from what I remember a bit less mids.

I deliberately picked the Hudson Broadcast and Browne Protein kits because they are a bit different to what I am used to and there's not a model in my modelers for those.

laxu

Reaction score
:rofl:

Honestly probably not unless you REALLY need the switchable settings. I basically got the 100 because I don't have a PS2 and to quote Yngwie "More is more" :lol:

Having owned a PS-2 and currently owning the PS-100, I'd say no need to upgrade. PS-100 is pretty much the same thing with some extras. Line out level knob (also on the PS-2A version) is nice but should be in the front panel, the dual control sets are useful for doing A/B type tests or for a more generally useful case, setting levels between clean vs overdrive channels.

Mourguitars

Reaction score
Who takes about 5 hours to instal a Pickup .....ME !

Gheez , that Suhr Aldrich pickup wire is the side of a George L cable ....this guitar has a lot of sentimental valve so i didnt want to scratch it up ....i had to hand ream the 2" hole to go to the pickup cavity ...lol...man what a job ,made it look nice since i carefully done it ...anyways....i like it Very nice chunk of wood this Hard tail is...Pick up rocks !

Mike

20210730_165530.jpg

Shask

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips! That's the approach I aim to go for.

I generally avoid TS type pedals because the midrange is often too honky for the amps I use. Even the Fender style clean channel on my Bogner has more midrange than say a Deluxe Reverb so adding a TS on that tends to be too much whereas something like a Klon is just right. Besides I'd rather not build a TS but would just buy a Digitech Bad Monkey for peanuts since it's a TS with a bass control and from what I remember a bit less mids.

I deliberately picked the Hudson Broadcast and Browne Protein kits because they are a bit different to what I am used to and there's not a model in my modelers for those.
I like tubescreamers because they boost the amps I like well. They are all a little different, so even if you can buy a cheap Bad Monkey or Joyo, or whatever, something you build will still be different. If you learn how the circuit works, then you can tweak to taste. I have bought 2 of some pedals, like the Caline Orange Burst for example, and modified one to be brighter, attackier, etc.... Something like the BYOC Green Pony is nice because it is a clean boost up to 9 oclock on the gain, and then it becomes more TSish, but not as honky, and there are 3 clipping options, and then 3 bass tightness levels. Very useful pedal, even though it is still based on a TS.

I have built many other OD types. I have Klon clones, Bluesbreaker clones, Rats, Govnors, Blues Drivers, OCD clones, DOD 250, etc.... they are all cool in some way, but I tend to not use them as much. I do like some EQ based boosts though, like the Buxom Boost, and TC Elec Integrated Pre clones. I am always trying different types of ODs, but always gravitate towards TS types. I do like to have different families though.

I tend to use them for boosting a high gain sound though. If I used it into a clean channel for actual gain, then I dont like TS types for that. I would take a Blues Driver based design or something instead.

laxu

Reaction score
I
I tend to use them for boosting a high gain sound though. If I used it into a clean channel for actual gain, then I dont like TS types for that. I would take a Blues Driver based design or something instead.

Yeah that's different from my use case. I typically get my high gain tones straight from the amp and use overdrives for different flavors on a clean or slightly overdriven sound, to push them to higher gain rather than trying to tighten and midboost a high gain sound.

')