What is your next guitar/gear purchase gonna be?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mourguitars

Reaction score
Today I took out C1 and put in a socket. I tried 100nF, 47nF, and 82nF. I settled on 82nF. The control is still subtle, but you can hear what it does better, and I think the low end is more in the normal TS range, instead of too much and fuzzy/wooly. Seems more usable now to me. I think it was too "flat", so it didn't really tighten up a high gain sound.

I would like to socket some of the other parts, but some of them are under the pots, so probably too much of a pain to worry about.

The more I listen to it though, I think that knob is misnamed. Instead of Tight, it should be called Clank. lol. It reminds me of the "Curve" control on my Green Rhino. It is very subtle also, but you can hear the clanky upper mids come in when you lower the knob. It basically sets the cutoff frequency of the upper mids. It don't really have much to do with lowering bass to tighten the sound.

Hmmmmm ...... So is it the design of that PCB circuit then ?

Mike

Shask

Reaction score
Hmmmmm ...... So is it the design of that PCB circuit then ?

Mike
Its just a weird take on that circuit, lol. C7 and R15 is the classic TS low cut filter, but those values only give a cutoff of 150hz, so much more bassy than a TS (which is set about 720hz). However, C1, R2, and the tight control are in parallel to that, which is kinda weird. The resistances will drop, and the capacitance will go up when you look at the combination of both paths. From my calculations, that means the highest low end cutoff you can get is about 360hz, which is much bassier than a TS. It is gonna be much muddier with that cutoff. The mod I made today should get it up to around 500hz for the cutoff which is still kinda high, but its not as muddy. Since I used a socket I might try something like 10nF or 1nF tomorrow just to see what happens. That should be about the right cutoff, but it might sound too thin because of the rest of the circuit.

For comparison, the 2nd click on the Dwarven Hammer is about 480hz cutoff, and the 3rd click is about 720hz, which should match the stock TS. More clicks cuts even more bass.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Thinking about buying a Boss OD-200 and an EQ-200 (using the EQ-200 as a cab sim), or maybe a Neunaber Neuron and Iconoclast.

Turd Ferguson

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I bought a parallel mixer. I hate how most effects pedals are a complete tone suck. This way I can add uneffected signal back in to taste.

View attachment 96300

I like this idea. Might have to try one of these in my fx loop. I run a multi fx box in there and regardless of how I set the mix in the individual patches it always seems too wet/processed to my ear.

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
I like this idea. Might have to try one of these in my fx loop. I run a multi fx box in there and regardless of how I set the mix in the individual patches it always seems too wet/processed to my ear.

Yup. I can see myself buying a second one if this particular one works well for that same reason.

I also looked at cheap high pass filters to throw in the loop. That way the effects can be only on the mid/upper range while the low/low-mids remain tight.

Shask

Reaction score
I built myself a Parallel Mix pedal which I mostly built to run my rack effects in parallel in the loop. It works great, and I find it hard to run Chorus, Delay, and Reverb without it anymore!

However, you need effects that can killdry or run at 100% wet. Not all units can do this, so you will have to see if yours will.

Turd Ferguson

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I built myself a Parallel Mix pedal which I mostly built to run my rack effects in parallel in the loop. It works great, and I find it hard to run Chorus, Delay, and Reverb without it anymore!

However, you need effects that can killdry or run at 100% wet. Not all units can do this, so you will have to see if yours will.

What's the reason for killdry or 100% wet? My current multi fx doesn't do that globally, but I can set the wet/dry level of each individual effect.

To my simple brain, if I can use a parallel mixer with individual pedals that don't have killdry, I could also use it with a multi fx. But I could be missing something.

Shask

Reaction score
What's the reason for killdry or 100% wet? My current multi fx doesn't do that globally, but I can set the wet/dry level of each individual effect.

To my simple brain, if I can use a parallel mixer with individual pedals that don't have killdry, I could also use it with a multi fx. But I could be missing something.
If not the unit will have a digital dry which is delayed a few milliseconds from your analog dry, so you will get a weird comb filter sound. It will sound like you always have a slight Flanger on.

Many modulation, delay, and reverb pedals have an analog dry-through, like Boss CE-2, or Boss DD-3, etc.... so they don't have this issue.

Millul

Reaction score
Sorry dude, quoted you earlier by mistake and just caught it. :lol:

My above reply was meant for you. Looks like some mid late 70s Matsumoku deal. Similar to an Electra Wedge.

Flet famous for a sec :cool:

Anyway, DHL came today, and did NOT leave the package with a neighbour, so I'll have to go fetch it from their local shop tomorrow...

Turd Ferguson

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
If not the unit will have a digital dry which is delayed a few milliseconds from your analog dry, so you will get a weird comb filter sound. It will sound like you always have a slight Flanger on.

Many modulation, delay, and reverb pedals have an analog dry-through, like Boss CE-2, or Boss DD-3, etc.... so they don't have this issue.

Ah. Thank you for the explanation. Makes sense.

Shask

Reaction score
Its just a weird take on that circuit, lol. C7 and R15 is the classic TS low cut filter, but those values only give a cutoff of 150hz, so much more bassy than a TS (which is set about 720hz). However, C1, R2, and the tight control are in parallel to that, which is kinda weird. The resistances will drop, and the capacitance will go up when you look at the combination of both paths. From my calculations, that means the highest low end cutoff you can get is about 360hz, which is much bassier than a TS. It is gonna be much muddier with that cutoff. The mod I made today should get it up to around 500hz for the cutoff which is still kinda high, but its not as muddy. Since I used a socket I might try something like 10nF or 1nF tomorrow just to see what happens. That should be about the right cutoff, but it might sound too thin because of the rest of the circuit.

For comparison, the 2nd click on the Dwarven Hammer is about 480hz cutoff, and the 3rd click is about 720hz, which should match the stock TS. More clicks cuts even more bass.
Well, I tried 10nF today, and had the same, but opposite problem. The pedal was tighter and sounded good, but the tight control was back to doing nothing. It seems like there is a small window of usability. I think I am going to leave it at 82nF and call it done, lol. I don't think I have ever taken a pedal apart this many times. 82nF sounds pretty good, tightens up in a usable way, and the tight knob does a little bit in terms of bringing in, or taking away, a little bit of that upper mid clank.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
Ah. Thank you for the explanation. Makes sense.
Just so you know, analog dry through is mostly only a concern (at least from a comb filtering perspective) when using a multiamp wet/dry or wet/dry/wet setup. It's not really a concern of you're using one amp or a stereo rig.

thebeesknees22

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Ok ok.... I'm narrowing it down.

I think I will go with a skervesen velociraptor before trying to do another big expensive one like a Swan.

I'm thinking trans black. 7 string. Maple neck...maybe. The Pau Ferro neck looks nice on the trans black pic they have too though. I'm not sure about the Lundgren MVS pickups though. Maybe I should swap those out for something else.

Anyone try those MVS pickups?

laxu

Reaction score
Bought a used Strymon Volante today. I went with that because I felt that it does the tape echo thing with a lot of options and doesn't do anything I don't really need. I don't care too much about other delay types at this point.

My little "off the floor, controls within reach" pedalboard setup is coming together. Still need to get a power supply, thinking Cioks DC7 unless someone has a better idea (or as good but cheaper) and MIDI controllable loop switchers. Morningstar ML5 is my top option here but again could use options. It's serial loops so I would have to buy two which puts me in the price range of other loopers.

My signal routing will be something like this. The loop switcher controlled fx are in brackets.
  1. Guitar -> Turbo Tuner ST-300 -> [Browne Protein Blue (PedalPCB clone) -> Browne Protein Green (PedalPCB clone) -> Hudson Broadcast (PedalPCB clone)] -> Bogner Goldfinger 45 Superlead input.
  2. Amp output -> Fryette PS-100 -> Speaker.
  3. Fryette PS-100 fx send -> [Strymon Volante -> Strymon Flint -> Digitech Trio+] -> Fryette PS-100 fx return.
  4. XSonic Airstep wirelessly -> CME WIDI Master -> Morningstar ML5 1 (pre fx) -> Morningstar ML5 2 (post fx) -> RJM Mini Amp Gizmo (amp channel/boost switching).
Not sure if I will need a signal splitter like a Lehle P-Split or Little Dual in there to avoid the ground loop squeel that occurs with my Helix if I try to use a 4CM setup with the PS-100 fx loop.

Turd Ferguson

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Just so you know, analog dry through is mostly only a concern (at least from a comb filtering perspective) when using a multiamp wet/dry or wet/dry/wet setup. It's not really a concern of you're using one amp or a stereo rig.

Thanks for that. I was thinking of trying the mixer in the loop of my 5150 with a GSP1101 for FX. So a mono, single amp rig. I guess I like subtle FX when I do use them, so the idea of having some pure dry signal to mix in was appealing.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
Thanks for that. I was thinking of trying the mixer in the loop of my 5150 with a GSP1101 for FX. So a mono, single amp rig. I guess I like subtle FX when I do use them, so the idea of having some pure dry signal to mix in was appealing.
Yes, some people also prefer a parallel loop for effects on distorted tones since it seems to maintain a bit more clarity, so certainly worth taking a look into. My amps mostly have parallel and switchable loops, so I don't have to worry.

But that's a preference thing more than getting an actual technical issue like comb filtering. Give it a go and tell us what you think.

Shask

Reaction score
It will still happen with a single unit with a mono amp if you run a parallel mixer.

For example, if I just use a G Major 2 in my loop with a parallel mixer, I will get comb filtering unless I enable Killdry mode. If I use my Lexicon MPX-1 instead, I have to put it at 100% for the same reason.

Having the analog dry and the digital dry is the issue.

')