What is your next guitar/gear purchase gonna be?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Aso

Single Hum Zealot
Reaction score
I have a KSR PA25 showing up tomorrow hopefully. Need something smaller than a 5150, Rhodes Gemini or PoweredByOmega Iridium for practice without get neighbor complaints. Going to pair it up with a Abominable Electronics Sunbather that I have had sitting around way too long. If the Sunbather doesn't do it for me guess I will get a KSR Ceres pre-amp

Shask

Reaction score
Here in Fl they tax all internet sales now..so .....ill go out and take a gander at Guitar Center see for any impulse buy things...look at there used section....just to get out of the little bubble im in.....I do need 2 Eight ft speaker cables , well ...dont need but like to have

Mike
Just build a few speaker cables. It is pretty cheap and easy to do.

I just built some more 3' cables for effects loops, and a set of Humbuster cables for my Axe II.

In the last few days I got my Julia clone, and my Electric Mistress clones to work. It is getting fun building pedals with BBD chips and 9 other ICs, lol. I will have my Small Clone and Polychorus clones done as soon as I get a few more parts shipments.

Bearitone

Reaction score
So, I played some real amps today next to my kemper and I think I understand what people say about it not sounding the same as an "amp in the room". I think the only way I'll get it "perfect" is if I get the amp I want, then profile it myself with my gear (pickups, speakers, cabinet, etc...). Not just use downloaded profiles.

Is there a consensus on this?

laxu

Reaction score
So, I played some real amps today next to my kemper and I think I understand what people say about it not sounding the same as an "amp in the room". I think the only way I'll get it "perfect" is if I get the amp I want, then profile it myself with my gear (pickups, speakers, cabinet, etc...). Not just use downloaded profiles.

I can only give comparison to the Quad Cortex, but that was able to capture the sound of my amp to a very high degree and when piped through a Fryette PS-100 into a guitar cab and then comparing that same setup with the profiled tube amp they could sound very close. But the capture still won't function the same as my amp for EQ.

The output system with any modeling setup is the real difference. I can make my Fractal FM3 sound very close to my Bogner with the right amp model and settings into the afore-mentioned Fryette setup. Maybe not exact but more than good enough to not care.

But that still doesn't stop me from using tube amps because they don't have menus, they only do a couple of things really well and that's it. I find they help me focus more on playing if anything.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score

The "in the room" thing is like 99% the speakers and room and how the sound waves interact accordingly.

So folks listening to the Kemper (or anything really) through headphones or monitors or FRFR speakers typically won't have the same experience as a power amp driven guitar cab.

You can get DAMN close, and I'd even say totally, there with a well tuned room and proper IR choice, but you have to work for it.

Mourguitars

Reaction score
Just build a few speaker cables. It is pretty cheap and easy to do.

I just built some more 3' cables for effects loops, and a set of Humbuster cables for my Axe II.

In the last few days I got my Julia clone, and my Electric Mistress clones to work. It is getting fun building pedals with BBD chips and 9 other ICs, lol. I will have my Small Clone and Polychorus clones done as soon as I get a few more parts shipments.

You are 100% correct...i think ill do that, i like building things anyways so ill look into the cable and 1/4" jacks....i do need to order some parts for some pedals i want to build after looking at the build doc's so ill add that stuff to the order...shippings costly these days so want to buy everything at once..if possible

Man, you are a pedal building machine ..thats so awesome on the BBD stuff....im in my amp mode now wanting to do some tweaks and learning my way a Marshall circuit..checking to see if the amp is dead enuff for me to work on ..rechecking..watching vids learning what the voltages should be there and here so to speak...one day ill build a hot rodded 800 with all the Mods...going to use the scope today...learn that

These arrived this morning....since im taking the chassis out to look at where the Buffered loop will wire up and take some pics see where i need to mount stuff, recheck my home work, i think ill put these tubes in and bias it up...then im going to play this weekend !

Mike

20210819_163251.jpg

nightlight

Reaction score
On the subject of pickups, do Lundgren make a specific slant set of M8Cs? I wanted to try a pair in my Boden, but wasn't sure the regular straight ones would fit properly. I did read someone else's review that it fit in their guitar, but just wondering if I need a specific slant set for the axe?

Might just go with the regular M8 since that one is higher output, but still evaluating.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
On the subject of pickups, do Lundgren make a specific slant set of M8Cs? I wanted to try a pair in my Boden, but wasn't sure the regular straight ones would fit properly. I did read someone else's review that it fit in their guitar, but just wondering if I need a specific slant set for the axe?

Might just go with the regular M8 since that one is higher output, but still evaluating.
Get regular M8Cs for a Boden.

Shask

Reaction score
You are 100% correct...i think ill do that, i like building things anyways so ill look into the cable and 1/4" jacks....i do need to order some parts for some pedals i want to build after looking at the build doc's so ill add that stuff to the order...shippings costly these days so want to buy everything at once..if possible

Man, you are a pedal building machine ..thats so awesome on the BBD stuff....im in my amp mode now wanting to do some tweaks and learning my way a Marshall circuit..checking to see if the amp is dead enuff for me to work on ..rechecking..watching vids learning what the voltages should be there and here so to speak...one day ill build a hot rodded 800 with all the Mods...going to use the scope today...learn that

These arrived this morning....since im taking the chassis out to look at where the Buffered loop will wire up and take some pics see where i need to mount stuff, recheck my home work, i think ill put these tubes in and bias it up...then im going to play this weekend !

Mike

View attachment 96921
Redco is probably the best place to buy stuff to make cables.

I bought the stuff to make a Mu-Tron style Envelope Follower next, and I might be done for awhile after that. I have ran out of ideas of things to build, lol. I want to do a Muzzle eventually when the chips exist again.

I SLO modded my Jet City in the middle of all the pedal building, and it has been the number 1 amp I have been playing lately. It sounds 1000% better than it did.

I built a JCM800 2203 clone many years ago. I have tweaked on more than it has been played, lol. It has an extra tube for an extra gain stage, and a depth control. The EQ was tweaked some. Funny enough, it doesn't sound THAT far away from my SLO modded JC. Look at the Ceriatone layouts for ideas for mods.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
It's not terrible, but going through it, I realized the features I want and need are with the Helix so I might as well just get it.

You're trying to run an entire band (guitar+bass) through one unit, right? IN that case, yeah the Helix would nail that. It's got a shit-ton of IO that it's possible to have one of the 100000 inputs to accept a 2nd instrument. Plus the ability to run to run two independent chains.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Saw a video of a kidney bean Pod (not sure of the version, but pre HD), and it sounded killer with a CAB M+. I kind of want one now. LOL

I had one w/ a Mooer Radar and it still did seem to need some help. The high end for a lot of stuff still seemed very ugly and digital, even with good IRS.

')