What is your next guitar/gear purchase gonna be?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Shask

Reaction score
Oddly after checking out a bunch of videos, I'm checking out the Invader. :lol: I love the gnarly midrange crunch it has.
Everyone talks about the low end of the Invader, but I think the star is the mids. It has a lot of mid-mids, almost like you have a Tubescreamer on all the time. It is a lot crunchier than people think when they see the bass on the chart.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Everyone talks about the low end of the Invader, but I think the star is the mids. It has a lot of mid-mids, almost like you have a Tubescreamer on all the time. It is a lot crunchier than people think when they see the bass on the chart.

Yeah that's my impression. I was expecting to hear it sound like the tone knob was on 0, but I hear a *lot* of crunch and pick attack. It definitely doesn't have a lot of high end presence, but I wonder if the sheer amount of midrange drowns out the low end so to speak.

BabUShka

Reaction score
Im in a search for a new high gain amp. So hard to choose. I'm leaning towards ENGL Fireball 25 or Marshall JVM. but I'm also very curious about the H&K Triamp and ENGL Savage. And Peavey 6505. And Laney GH50L . For the biggest amps I'm considering a load box.

Too many options.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Im in a search for a new high gain amp. So hard to choose. I'm leaning towards ENGL Fireball 25 or Marshall JVM. but I'm also very curious about the H&K Triamp and ENGL Savage. And Peavey 6505. And Laney GH50L . For the biggest amps I'm considering a load box.

Too many options.

Go to shops and play/hear them...? Youtube videos are just starting point references. List them and their specs, attribute them points according to your needs/tastes and create an evaluation based on the list with a spreadsheet software, the one with more points is the logical winner.

Choop

uwu
Reaction score
Re-tubing my Mark III Simul Class with some JJ tubes from Eurotubes -- Gonna try the full set, but will probably put a Tung Sol or Ruby tube in V1 if the amp sounds too dark. I've always used a quad of 6L6 tubes in this amp, but since it needed a retube anyway, I'm going to give the E34L's a try in the outer sockets.

BabUShka

Reaction score
Go to shops and play/hear them...? Youtube videos are just starting point references. List them and their specs, attribute them points according to your needs/tastes and create an evaluation based on the list with a spreadsheet software, the one with more points is the logical winner.

Good point. Ive owned some of those amps before, my problem is that they are all great in their own way. Im leaning more towards the Fireball 25, it fits the budget and for my use I have to admit that some of the other options could be overkill for home use.

Im pisses at myself right now because I had the opertunity to get a Mark V 25 for like $1300, but I misses it.

Reaction score
Good point. Ive owned some of those amps before, my problem is that they are all great in their own way. Im leaning more towards the Fireball 25, it fits the budget and for my use I have to admit that some of the other options could be overkill for home use.

Im pisses at myself right now because I had the opertunity to get a Mark V 25 for like $1300, but I misses it.

There's no problem whatsoever in going overkill on guitar gear... we must enjoy our passing through this Earth... :D For instance, I use a Triaxis+2:fifty as my amp system and I play mostly at home and at night with headphones. I could do this with an audio interface and amp sims (which I have) and be done with it, but instead I went the Two Notes Captor route twice, so I can have stereo FXs... and as for the Triaxis, I only use one mode for everything (cleans included), out of its 8 different modes. So, overkill? Hell yeah!...

Didn't @Guitarjon make a review of that Engl Fireball 25 recently?

Last edited:

BabUShka

Reaction score
There's no problem whatsoever in going overkill on guitar gear... we must enjoy our passing through this Earth... :D For instance, I use a Triaxis+2:fifty as my amp system and I play mostly at home and at night with headphones. I could do this with an audio interface and amp sims (which I have) and be done with it, but instead I went the Tw Notes Captor route twice, so I can have stereo FXs... and as for the Triaxis, I only use one mode for everything (cleans included), out of its 8 different modes. So, overkill? Hell yeah!...

Didn't @Guitarjon make a review of that Engl Fireball 25 recently?

I couldn't agree more :D Been using digital lately, and it's nice - especially when the kids are in bed. But lately I've been craving for some loudness . So I'm thinking, over time, to aquire 3-4 nice tube amps to choose from.

Ericjutsu

Reaction score
probably GGD Studio Cabs: Cali
for hardware, probably new pickups for my 8 string or some random impulse buy

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I couldn't agree more :D Been using digital lately, and it's nice - especially when the kids are in bed. But lately I've been craving for some loudness . So I'm thinking, over time, to aquire 3-4 nice tube amps to choose from.

Use digital into speakers, buy more guitars :yesway:

Bearitone

Reaction score
Listening to recordings of my old rig recently and my current rig just sucks in comparison.

I want to hunt down a Mosvalve 942 again

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Listening to recordings of my old rig recently and my current rig just sucks in comparison.

I want to hunt down a Mosvalve 942 again

My current rig doesn't suck for sure but I kinda miss my old AMT SS30/ISP Theta rig :lol: I do prefer the versatility and effects of my Fractal. May have to get both of those pedals to run in by Fractal

gnoll

Reaction score
I'm just a wee bit anxious, the Invader has been a pickup I've always been curious about since it's allegedly all over Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets.

I don't think that's true.

Puppets should have been the 84 Explorer with stock pickups, it got Emgs in 87.

RTL I'm not sure but I would think the Electra V. And in photos the pickups of that one don't look like Invader to me. I remember reading on I think the Duncan forum that Hetfield supposedly got a pickup (or 2?) from the custom shop in the early 80s and I would think that's what went into the Electra. But it's been a while since I researched this stuff and I don't remember 100%.

But I also think he sometimes borrowed Kirk's guitars for layering with to thicken things up. Maybe not on all the albums though.

Metallica gear is tricky, there's a lot of sketchy rumours going around. Like people looking at one single photograph and making conclusions that are totally wrong.

Bearitone

Reaction score
My current rig doesn't suck for sure but I kinda miss my old AMT SS30/ISP Theta rig :lol: I do prefer the versatility and effects of my Fractal. May have to get both of those pedals to run in by Fractal
I feel you man. I do love the effects and ease of switching with the Kemper but, I’m just not getting what I want from it right now.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I feel you man. I do love the effects and ease of switching with the Kemper but, I’m just not getting what I want from it right now.

At least you can run the pre amp section of the Kemper into the Mosvalve. Still get the best of both worlds.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
I don't think that's true.

Puppets should have been the 84 Explorer with stock pickups, it got Emgs in 87.

RTL I'm not sure but I would think the Electra V. And in photos the pickups of that one don't look like Invader to me. I remember reading on I think the Duncan forum that Hetfield supposedly got a pickup (or 2?) from the custom shop in the early 80s and I would think that's what went into the Electra. But it's been a while since I researched this stuff and I don't remember 100%.

But I also think he sometimes borrowed Kirk's guitars for layering with to thicken things up. Maybe not on all the albums though.

Metallica gear is tricky, there's a lot of sketchy rumours going around. Like people looking at one single photograph and making conclusions that are totally wrong.
I'm curious what single coil EMGs Kirk ran in Edna.

big_7rqwv0ydgm1cgd1v.jpg

')