What is your next guitar/gear purchase gonna be?

youngthrasher9

Ur Mom Is Too Much Gain
Reaction score
Listening to recordings of my old rig recently and my current rig just sucks in comparison.

I want to hunt down a Mosvalve 942 again
I legitimately subscribed to your YouTube channel based on the video you did with the depth finder, mosvalve, and R2. I’m not gonna say your new rig sucks because I haven’t heard it but I will that your old rig was naaaaasty.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Choop

uwu
Reaction score
I'm curious what single coil EMGs Kirk ran in Edna.

big_7rqwv0ydgm1cgd1v.jpg

Probably just the regular S ones, but I guess they could have also been SA's.

Referencing my previous post here, apparently Eurotubes is out of both 6L6GC's and E34L's until December >.> so I picked up a couple pairs of Mesa power tubes instead, and bought a 12AT7 to try in my phase inverter socket. Mesa EL34s seem to be in short supply right now, too. I bought a pair from a shop on Reverb.

Bearitone

Reaction score
I legitimately subscribed to your YouTube channel based on the video you did with the depth finder, mosvalve, and R2. I’m not gonna say your new rig sucks because I haven’t heard it but I will that your old rig was naaaaasty.

Dude right!? (Also, thank you :) )
Bah! I’m going on the hunt again to regain my old signal chain.

Mahogany baritone with Lundgren M-series pickups > OD808x > AMT R2 > Depth Finder > Mosvalve 942 > Avatar 412

My only nit-pick about that rig was not having enough low end meat but, god I don’t even think I care about that now.

Bearitone

Reaction score
amazing how huge this thread is now from when i first started it. cool to see all the guitars and gear aquired over the years.

haven't been playing as much. my next thread may be titled...

what's your next guitar/gear going up for sale :lol:
Dude its a good thread!
This is the first thread I check on here, daily, multiple times a day sometimes.
This is where I find out about 90% of new gear on the market, or existing gear I never knew about.

Anyway, good shit :D

M3CHK1LLA

angel sword guardian
Reaction score
Dude its a good thread!
This is the first thread I check on here, daily, multiple times a day sometimes.
This is where I find out about 90% of new gear on the market, or existing gear I never knew about.

Anyway, good shit :D

yeah...about half my knowledge has come from you guys here. i just let y'all spend the money, make mistakes or find gems and i purchase accordingly...

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Probably just the regular S ones, but I guess they could have also been SA's.
I figured as much, though I'm curious if he has anything else under the pickguard, such as a SPC or whatever. I think Edna is my favorite guitar of Kirk's. That and the Tom Anderson from the AJFA tour.

lewis

Reaction score
Dude right!? (Also, thank you :) )
Bah! I’m going on the hunt again to regain my old signal chain.

Mahogany baritone with Lundgren M-series pickups > OD808x > AMT R2 > Depth Finder > Mosvalve 942 > Avatar 412

My only nit-pick about that rig was not having enough low end meat but, god I don’t even think I care about that now.

Wait what? You sold it all?.

That rig was sick.
The original depthfinder is discontinued however I spoke to amtweaker recently and they reckon a new version is dropping soon (apparently the internals are identical it's just the casing that will have the newer colours
And art)

I've always wanted one and never got one so I can't wait until they do release them again

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
amazing how huge this thread is now from when i first started it. cool to see all the guitars and gear aquired over the years.

haven't been playing as much. my next thread may be titled...

what's your next guitar/gear going up for sale :lol:

This would also be a good thread :yesway:

Accoun

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Getting pretty sick of the Rocksmith cable I tried to get by instead of using an interface, so now I'm looking for an actual one, lol.

There was a local classified for a decently cheap pickup-only Scarlett Solo 2nd gen in my city, but the offer disappeared overnight. Not sure if someone actually bought it, or if the uptime just ran out and it has to be refreshed (it happens). Otherwise, not looking specifically in my area, there's another, a bit more expensive 2nd gen - but at this point I might pay another little bit more and either go for the Audient iD4 (I know someone here recommended them over the Focusrites, but it seems like the 1st gen, so I'd need to look up the differences) or I might go for the Scarlett 2i2 2nd gen for the same money as Audient, if having two identical inputs would actually be any better.

laxu

Reaction score
Getting pretty sick of the Rocksmith cable I tried to get by instead of using an interface, so now I'm looking for an actual one, lol.

There was a local classified for a decently cheap pickup-only Scarlett Solo 2nd gen in my city, but the offer disappeared overnight. Not sure if someone actually bought it, or if the uptime just ran out and it has to be refreshed (it happens). Otherwise, not looking specifically in my area, there's another, a bit more expensive 2nd gen - but at this point I might pay another little bit more and either go for the Audient iD4 (I know someone here recommended them over the Focusrites, but it seems like the 1st gen, so I'd need to look up the differences) or I might go for the Scarlett 2i2 2nd gen for the same money as Audient, if having two identical inputs would actually be any better.

I'd just go for a model with more inputs and outputs and skip these lowest tier units. I've had my Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 2nd gen for years and have used all of its inputs and outputs at some point. Saving a few bucks by going with the 2i2 will do you no favors.

Chri

-________-
Reaction score

Are you ever going to record more than one instrument/mic at a time?

The Focusrite pres are hard to beat for the money at this price range of interfaces. I've only ever heard good things about Audient, but don't have experience myself. If you're in the US Guitar Center has a near constant stock of used Scarletts. If you can, pick up a 3rd gen if you go that route. IIRC the 2nd gen had some undesirable traits.

Accoun

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Are you ever going to record more than one instrument/mic at a time?
Honestly, as of now I just want something to play around in software. Better than the aforementioned cable, at least. Not at the level of actually micing things yet. Also, I'm in Poland so no GC. The only used 3rd gen is basically the price of a new one on Thomann - and only the Solo model.

IIRC the 2nd gen had some undesirable traits.
Oh, thought it's only the 1st gen.

Chri

-________-
Reaction score
Honestly, as of now I just want something to play around in software. Better than the aforementioned cable, at least. Not at the level of actually micing things yet. Also, I'm in Poland so no GC. The only used 3rd gen is basically the price of a new one on Thomann - and only the Solo model.

Oh, thought it's only the 1st gen.

You may be right about 1st Gen being the problematic one. It's been quite some time.
Honestly, just look up some reviews for all the basic interfaces you have available to you. Most entry level ones will be more than serviceable and likely leagues ahead of the cable you had been using.

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
Arrived today but of course I won’t be home for a couple days to see/play it dammit…

6E4196B8-3DC4-4B19-8858-B2D7FB96B37E.jpeg
78DB7062-38B9-45FF-A50F-379C7A91381E.jpeg
400D344C-0C1E-4BD9-B4DC-82CA0F5C2664.jpeg
7FCE51A7-60AF-42E0-9028-8203375B554A.jpeg
512546FE-EB7E-4573-BE9F-5E72F85E0C11.jpg
FBF57B21-6F31-4800-B081-7AE6B19A6398.jpeg

Attachments

• 8D5EF8E9-F39D-4119-A863-048D97E8F016.jpeg
    8D5EF8E9-F39D-4119-A863-048D97E8F016.jpeg
    60.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

USMarine75

Contributor
Reaction score
Which one?

I have an EVH Frankenstein pickup (same exact as the SD Custom Shop Frankenstein and similar to 78) that I’m going to put in rather than the stock Wolfgang. That way have something witha little different tone than the Frankie Relic.

F6643E5B-9E5E-400A-9FCA-F493D954D5DD.jpeg
C8D6B605-F536-43F7-89E9-3114E03BE52E.jpeg

Last edited:

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score

USMarine75

Contributor
Reaction score
You know, I usually dig the Bonamassa stuff, but I think this one is just so boring. I know the story behind it, and it's cool for an Epi, but I don't know.

I guess we've just been so spoiled by the Lifeson. :lol:

Exactly this. I think it’s boring because it’s a proper LP. Nothing fancy except the story. But for $750 it came with mahogany body, full maple cap, Gibson pickups, cool hard case, ‘vintage period correct electronics’ and Mallory caps. So why not. If I don’t like it I can flip it for 2x in a year anyways because all of his stuff does that god bless lol.

')