What is your next guitar/gear purchase gonna be?

Steo

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
One of those tiny Hotone skyline djent pedals on the way. Was impressed by some of the tones I heard on YouTube, shout out to Gmork.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
One of those tiny Hotone skyline djent pedals on the way. Was impressed by some of the tones I heard on YouTube, shout out to Gmork.

Dude I have one and it legit sounds good. Has more tones than just dj0nt too.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
^Yeah, I have the pink jag on preorder too so they'd make a nice pair, but if I get a jazzmaster I want it to be the prototypical jm.

If you wont actually use the rhythm switch, do not sweat it one bit :lol:.

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
Lucille arrived.

She’s a stunner. It is a truly great looking guitar. As a personal preference I’d prob rather have nitro or aged gloss to the point of satin and aged/distressed gold hardware. But that’s just my preference. A huge win is the ebony fretboard. Nothing worse than a black guitar with a cheap looking “rosewood” knockoff fretboard.

I won’t rehash the specs, but this is truly loaded. Fine tuners on an ES? Hell yeah.

It’s an incredible playing guitar. As an ES-style semi-hollow with no F-holes it will cover many genres. Only played through my Splawn QR100 and 412 for now. The stock pickups are quite good and sound as expected for this type of guitar. They have all the good old school PAF tone. Epi has really stepped up with their stock pickups. I think they’re trying to be like Tokai, Greco, and lawsuit era Ibanez here. And the bridge cleans up great for cleans with the amp gain up so I’m guessing this has a treble bleed? Only thing you could possibly want that it lacks is a split coil option? But…

What’s interesting is the varitone switch. It’s a 6 position with selectable notch filters. They go from full EQ to AM radio sounding. I had tried before on bridge pickup with a Gibson Blueshawk (iirc) and thought it was impractical and way too trebly. That was my mistake. Turn up the gain and use the NECK pickup. You can actually get a faux treble booster tone on one setting and another actually sounds like a slight octave fuzz in the high register. I wouldn’t mind getting it wired to just the neck that way I can flip between varitone neck and full bridge quickly with just the pickup selector.

Zero feedback even with gain up. Perfect if you want to use it for rock like Tom DeLonge but don’t have $10k for his model.

Only one-ish complaint so far. The EpiLite case sucks for this. I didn’t mind it for the Lifeson sig. But that’s because it fit. This guitar is so big that it maxes out the case. The headstock tuners stretch the top where it’s actually bulging out. How can that provide any actual protection beyond scratches? For $949 this should have a case like the cheaper Slash, Bonamassa, and Thayer models. And the other minor complaint is… c’mon this is a BB King sig. No case candy? They could have put a pic of him in a frame like they did with the other sigs. Silly I know but c’mon Jack.

I’d say the Eastman has better fretwork and finish and the action / setup being lower on the Eastman makes it more playable. But a good setup on the Epi could change things?

As an ES-345 style, it has the largest body offered iirc. Good for you full-figured players that want something size appropriate. Or if you just like ‘em thicc.

9.5/10

Oh me oh my.

The fret ends. They’re rolled? Or just really well cut?

E0B39823-920B-4873-B98D-46DE1EFA9AFC.jpeg

Dude I have one and it legit sounds good. Has more tones than just dj0nt too.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Probably rolled? Seems to be a thing manufacturers are adding these days.

gabito

Stay at home musician
Reaction score
The Helix is just better in every way possible. Even with impulses I find the Helix is leagues better.

Yeah, I was using the POD's Panama and SLO models with IRs, and it sounded quite good. The same is true with the POD / power amp / guitar cab combination.

But using the same amp models and impulses on the Helix sounds / feels better for some reason. Maybe it's all on my mind, who knows...

The Helix also has a lot of features, processing power, and UX improvements not available in the POD, and there are no IRs that could fix that... making my life easier is always a bonus.

But I'll keep the POD anyway: I think I can use it as a controller for Helix Native (I have to check that out), and it's always handy to have a backup.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Yeah, I was using the POD's Panama and SLO models with IRs, and it sounded quite good. The same is true with the POD / power amp / guitar cab combination.

But using the same amp models and impulses on the Helix sounds / feels better for some reason. Maybe it's all on my mind, who knows...

The Helix also has a lot of features, processing power, and UX improvements not available in the POD, and there are no IRs that could fix that... making my life easier is always a bonus.

But I'll keep the POD anyway: I think I can use it as a controller for Helix Native (I have to check that out), and it's always handy to have a backup.

I think you can use the POD for MIDI controlling. Look into it.

And yeah, there's definitely some artificialness to the POD models I found. The high end was super grating no matter what kind of EQing I did.

youngthrasher9

Ur Mom Is Too Much Gain
Reaction score
I got the gain pot I need to replace on my rectifier in the mail, shipped in two days. I was astounded. I’m probably going to mod the fx loop for series while I have it out of the headshell.

LCW

Reaction score
Picked up a Pedaltrain Novo 24. A bit more room. I have a Nano 18 and Metro 20. Now I can consolidate. Probably sell the Metro and keep the Nano for a mini board.

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
Probably gonna get judged for this, but I picked up a brand new Boden Original 8 a few weeks ago, and I regret nothing. First 8 string I own, first fanned fret, and first headless. Couldn't find any flaws. Tried it before buying it though; I did read a lot of the criticism on their QC, though every one of the Bodens I tried at my local dealer (a couple of standards, a fusion and an original, 6 7 and 8s) were fantastic guitars. I don't care where it's made even a little bit.

The only thing I don't care much for are the Fluence Moderns. They're not bad at all, certainly different, but they aren't magic pickups like people like to pretend they are. I don't have a need to change them though.

gunch

digidun digidun wakka wakka skree
Reaction score
We just bag on the company not the people who use them because they are cool guitar designs worthy of merit

Last edited:

KnightBrolaire

Pickup Connoisseur
Reaction score
We just bag on the company not the people who use them because they are cool guitar designs worth of merit
nah, it's a mutilated strat with a 2x4 neck. Rick toone, ola ain't.
we bag on the fanboys who do mental gymnastics proclaiming them as the best thing since sliced bread too (they're right up there with ormsby and kiesel fans ).

LCW

Reaction score
Stumbled upon one of these today. Had to buy it of course. :rocker::mf666:

Will give it a good alcohol bath when I get home lol.

92AE0F5F-CA95-49A8-934A-F7FDAE9F44EB.jpeg

Last edited:

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I
I really like the DActivator 8, I put one in my Carvin. Just the right amount of output, balanced across all the frequencies.
I was gonna check out the DA8, but apparently DiMarzio pickups in general are hard as fuuuck to find right now. Especially the 8 string ones.

')