What is your next guitar/gear purchase gonna be?

/wrists

enthusiast
Reaction score
upload_2021-10-24_20-43-55.png

I can't pull the trigger, but this would've been nice.

It's going for $1100 or so, but I can't do it. Rosewood, bolt-on, 22 frets. I maybe could've done it if I played polyphia or some other stuff that follows the style.

But it's a really well priced Japanese guitar that's for fucking sure.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score

This arrived today. All I can say is Pete Thorn was absolutely right it’s an always on pedal. Not just for that EVH chorus tone, at zero on the chorus knob it gives your tone a 3D “wet” tone while significantly retaining your core tone.

Pete can obviously explain (and demo) this better than I can:

laxu

Reaction score
Ordered a Keeley Compressor Mini and Strymon Riverside. Interested in the Riverside to see how it performs. Thanks to good return policies it's pretty safe to try and return if I don't like 'em.

Turd Ferguson

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Picked up a pair of Kali LP-6 monitors, 3 months old, for $150. From a real nice older guy on craigslist, which I usually avoid due to all the scammers and weirdos. Been hankerin' for something to use with amp sims/load box/ir combos. Gonna give them a go for that and other dickin' around.

USMarine75

Contributor
Reaction score
I picked up a couple used pedals on the cheap…

B974BCF1-F099-44E0-B9EB-7DC1A54736AE.jpeg
6EB2A801-740D-42AB-A300-5A4BC261B2C6.jpeg

PSA… If anyone wanted that sold out Catalinbread Blackmore pedal set MF/GC has a used set in box for $249.

Kyle Jordan

Ace of Knaves
Reaction score
Picked up a pair of Kali LP-6 monitors, 3 months old, for $150. From a real nice older guy on craigslist, which I usually avoid due to all the scammers and weirdos. Been hankerin' for something to use with amp sims/load box/ir combos. Gonna give them a go for that and other dickin' around.

Please share how you like them after you get a chance to put them through their paces. The Kali stuff seems good enough to work as a medium term solution for me, but I’d like more first had feedback.

laxu

Reaction score
Trying to decide if I want a full floor model helix or just the Helix stomp. Decisions, Decisions

The biggest differences are half the DSP and a massive size difference. You also get a hit in the ease of use with the HX Stomp. The Floor is easier to use because it has a much larger display and more knobs, making for much less paging. It's my second favorite modeler to operate, right after the Quad Cortex. The UI for me is a big reason why I haven't picked up a HX Stomp as I prefer working using on-device UIs rather than being hooked up to a computer. If Line6 released a HX Effects size unit with the full Helix UI I'd buy one.

I had very few overall complaints about the Helix Floor and would recommend it to anyone who does not mind its physical size. It's easy to use and capable of a lot of stuff. For more compact units Fractal FM3 wins for me, would get a QC again when they manage to pack more features in it.

That said, the Helix LT is significantly cheaper than the Floor. Unless you are looking at used devices, I'd probably just get the LT as the compromises it has are not necessarily worth the price difference between the LT and Floor.

USMarine75

Contributor
Reaction score
Ok last one… for now… I think…

C9E718F2-BE1C-4AC1-803A-9BF591830ACC.jpeg

Catalinbread Karma Suture Si. Based on the Harmonic Perculator but with a ton of improvements. Basically a fuzzstortion.

laxu

Reaction score
Keeley Compressor Mini and Strymon Riverside arrived. Had a few hours on them so this is honeymoon impressions:

The Keeley is cute, it's so tiny! It does exactly what I need from it, adds a bit of snap to my clean tones and sustain to lower gain lead tones. It's one of those pedals that doesn't make your tone bad even if you crank the compression.

Jury is still out on the Riverside. Compared to my Browne Protein clone, I struggled with the Riverside much more. The Protein is basically turn on, sounds good and your only risk is getting tones that are too dark on the blue side and too bassy on the green side. But the Riverside is definitely much brighter and felt like the high end was harder to tame and to get a good spot for the midrange. I need to try it with my other amp and more guitars but so far not blowing me away. But it definitely does not feel digital so that is a good thing. Favorite switch is a nice way to get two settings out of it.

Turd Ferguson

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Please share how you like them after you get a chance to put them through their paces. The Kali stuff seems good enough to work as a medium term solution for me, but I’d like more first had feedback.

Sure thing, but be aware that my opinion may not be worth much -- these are the first studio monitors I've ever owned. I can only compare them to the Mackie headphones I have and my "best" hi-fi speakers (Pioneer HPM-100s).

First impression: absolutely 110% worth what I paid for them. Even at $200 I wouldn't have been disappointed. They're not quite as "honest" as my Mackie headphones, if that makes sense. In the Mackies, I can hear EVERYTHING. If I get a tone to sound good in those, it sounds GREAT everywhere else.

I ran my 5150 -> Captor -> IR -> Kalis. Sounded fantastic. Previously, I was running this into my home stereo and the HPM 100s, which worked pretty good too. But the Kalis sound more alive, like more of everything is getting through. The only "complaint" I would have (and this applies to anything that's not a big guitar cabinet) is that it sounds GREAT, but doesn't feel like playing a real cab. Not the monitors' fault. No knob tweaking or anything -- I just hooked up, plugged in and played, and didn't want to put it down. Which to me is huge (being able to play for 30 minutes without feeling like I need to dial something in).

I also played my standard speaker-testing audio through them: Frank Zappa in FLAC. They sounded warmer than I expected (again thinking of the Mackies, which are extremely neutral/sterile). Very pleasant to listen to. I use Zappa as my benchmark because there are more instruments than typical rock music or metal and I want to hear each one. Not disappointed there.

Also, my placement/location is FAR from ideal. I set the dip switches to where I thought they should be according to the manual, and I don't feel like I need to move them again (but I probably will, just to see what happens). With proper placement in a treated room (mine isn't, except with guitars/cabs/amps/clutter) I think they'd sound amazing.

As you're probably aware, they get great reviews at Amazon/GC/MF etc. I wouldn't disagree with those.

I was a little disappointed to see they are made in China, but they have a nice quality look/feel/finish so that probably doesn't matter.

This is all first impression, I will update if anything changes. But so far, for me, they're perfect.

ATRguitar91

Reaction score
Just grabbed a Master Effects Martyr. I have a real soft spot for solid state death metal tones, and I was so impressed with the Marauder I knew I'd need one of these.

They don't come up used often, so when I saw one on Reverb I pounced.

Between the Martyr, Marauder, and my SNK VHD, I have practically every legendary death metal amp tone covered.

USMarine75

Contributor
Reaction score
Just grabbed a Master Effects Martyr. I have a real soft spot for solid state death metal tones, and I was so impressed with the Marauder I knew I'd need one of these.

Between the Martyr, Marauder, and my SNK VHD, I have practically every legendary death metal amp tone covered.

Ive been eyeing the SNK VHD.

BigViolin

...---...
Reaction score
My first Friedman is on the way. Can't justify another big amp and wanted to hear what Dave can do with EL-84s so started looking at the 20 watt amps and got on the list for a Wildwood 20. Similar to the pink taco with some extra bells and a simple clean channel.

youngthrasher9

Ur Mom Is Too Much Gain
Reaction score

God that’d be a killer setup. HNPD!
All you need now is an HM-2 variant to complete the 4 horseman of the apocalypse board.

')