What is your next guitar/gear purchase gonna be?

BigViolin

...---...
Reaction score
Personally I'd go warmoth. I've had very good luck with their necks (I have like 5 necks from them), and they make excellent necks. I really haven't had to do much to them other than install a nut and slightly round some fret edges. Bodies on the other hand, are a mixed bag ime.

I've about the same experience with Warmoth with nary an issue. I've had 3 Musikraft necks and all good there as well. I like that Musikraft offers the wider heel but they aren't building bodies anymore.

I like the KNE star shape better than Warmoth, looks more like the old Charvel bodies and I prefer the way the body joins the heel on the bass side with the KNE. Their prices are really reasonable too.

Which is the better value for the money?

It's a push depending on features. Musikraft is a little cheaper when building a neck but a Warmoth showcase neck can be just as reasonable. I'll probably go Musikraft with the wider heel and the Charvel style headstock. Been wanting to try a non fine tuner floyd with a normal nut as well. Should be a cool project for that.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Yeah, this is my 2nd Vetta II. I think they’re great amps. The 5150 amp model is excellent, and there are some really unique tones to be found in this series.

View attachment 83154

Fear Factory's Mechanize was recorded with a Vetta and it's STILL one of the best metal tones out there IMO.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I accidentally watched a few LT videos for the Poly Effects Digit and Bebo. Whoops.

TonyFlyingSquirrel

Cherokee Warrior
Reaction score
Been experimenting with picks for the first time in 30+ years. Been using the Jim Dunlop black/gold Jazz sized tortex in 1.14 since 1990.
Been ordering some to experiment with like the medium triangle Ultex John Petrucci, then some Flow sized Tortex 1.0mm, 1.5mm, and then a 2.0 Flow in Ultex. I am really digging the Flow shape, I dig the bevel and feel of the 2.0mm/Ultex, but would like to try a Tortex Flow in 2.0mm, but I think the only one they have is the Andy James Siggy.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
I use green and yellow tortex picks. I use green (thicker) with 9-46 gauge strings in E standard, and yellow (thinner) with 10-49 gauge strings in Eb standard.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
Been experimenting with picks for the first time in 30+ years. Been using the Jim Dunlop black/gold Jazz sized tortex in 1.14 since 1990.
Been ordering some to experiment with like the medium triangle Ultex John Petrucci, then some Flow sized Tortex 1.0mm, 1.5mm, and then a 2.0 Flow in Ultex. I am really digging the Flow shape, I dig the bevel and feel of the 2.0mm/Ultex, but would like to try a Tortex Flow in 2.0mm, but I think the only one they have is the Andy James Siggy.

Try out the Tortex Sharp too :metal: I've been using the green .88mm ones for about 5 years, and I used the purple 1.14mm ones for a few more years before that. I had also used the original John Petrucci signature model, Tortex Jazz III, Jazz III XL Stiffo, and various Ultex models for brief stints before landing on the Sharps. Nothing else compares to the aggressive scrape and definition from the tip IMO

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
A nice in between is the Tortex Wedge. It's a nice pick for sure. really diggin it lately but normally using the Clayton Acetal 1mm and 1.35 Dunlop sharps

KnightBrolaire

Meth Detal
Reaction score
I’ve tried the sharps in the past. Not for me for lead work, but for some rhythm riffage they are cool. I’m really loving the FLOW shape.
try the JP trinity picks. Basically like having 3 jazz IIIs in one.
The primetone jazz iiis are also really good. Definitely the best production pick imo. Good combination of durability and sound without being overly noisy like the CF jazz iiis or sharps.
The Blue Chip jazz is pretty much the absolute best jazz iii around imo. Very durable but also has minimal pick noise. Pricey but considering they can last years with hard use, I think they're worth it.
Winspear jazz shiv would be a close second but Tom is moving to instock only, so I don't think they'll be readily available anymore. UHMPE is an extremely durable material that also manages to mitigate most pick noise.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
I have some of the Trinity, but I like the 2.0mm Tultex Flow & the 1.5mm Tortex Flow better.
Those Dunlop Wedges are pretty nice. Not as sharp as a sharp or tapered as a Jazz and not normal shape but kinda in between. They're interesting but not like a flow or a Jazz however.

Corporial Bodies

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I luv the flow pik, after using one now for about 4 months picked up an old tortex yesterday and was like "how did I used to play with this"

TonyFlyingSquirrel

Cherokee Warrior
Reaction score
I've also been experimenting with strings on the FRG-7620 in my Avatar. The standard .010-.056 set that I've been using for years is starting to feel a bit hard on my left hand for bends and such as arthritis is starting to set in, so I tried the .009-.052 set, and D'Addario has a .009-.054 that is pretty nice. The problem with going to a lighter set has been the loss of tension on the lower strings, and my low B sounds a bit flappy, I can hear it buzzing substantially when played open. I've done several setups on this guitar to accommodate the wider vibration field, including raising the height on the bass side of the locking nut ever so slightly, but that doesn't seem to address it. I tried a set of LaBella .009-.064 set, and man was this a mistake. That thickness on the low B will not intonate to save my life. With the saddle all the way back, the harmonic is still barely at the middle of the range between fret 11 and fret 12. This leads me to believe that this set may best be designed for fanned fret multiscale instruments. Of all of the sets that I have tried, the D'Addario .009-.054 seems to be the best middle ground. I was able intonate precisely with this set, and as long as I am not too heavy handed on my picking hand, the set will last a reasonable amount of time. Considering my pick explorations, I may have to stick with this set and use one of the lighter gauge 1.5 or 1.0mm picks as to not over attack the low B string.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Welp.

mtnklsbp0rdcdifkykuz.png

It's coming home. :lol:

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
Bunch of cool Limited Edition Teles and Strats out there I've been eyeballing... or just save up for a USA Nick Johnston.

Bearitone

Reaction score
The warmoth neck i bought in December is finally arriving this Friday. I am so stoked to finally be able to build my Baricaster Deluxe!

Latest posts

')