What is your next guitar/gear purchase gonna be?

Reaction score
You're trying to run an entire band (guitar+bass) through one unit, right? IN that case, yeah the Helix would nail that. It's got a shit-ton of IO that it's possible to have one of the 100000 inputs to accept a 2nd instrument. Plus the ability to run to run two independent chains.
Yeah pretty much.
I might keep the POD for the other guitarist. The bassist changes sounds and is kind FX heavy. I only play twice in the set but I need a rhythm and lead tone.

Technically I could run all three of us but we'll see what happens. I also need the ability to run IRs I have..and the Native plugin obviously helps a lot. So it just seems like the best choice.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mourguitars

Reaction score
I blew a dog gone fuse..ahh

Dont have one any where...ordered....so ill have them Monday , those and some jumper clips for working on my amp

Started to become some mad scientist with all the test tools for working on amps as of late vs a guitar player...lol

Mike

Mourguitars

Reaction score
Redco is probably the best place to buy stuff to make cables.

I bought the stuff to make a Mu-Tron style Envelope Follower next, and I might be done for awhile after that. I have ran out of ideas of things to build, lol. I want to do a Muzzle eventually when the chips exist again.

I SLO modded my Jet City in the middle of all the pedal building, and it has been the number 1 amp I have been playing lately. It sounds 1000% better than it did.

I built a JCM800 2203 clone many years ago. I have tweaked on more than it has been played, lol. It has an extra tube for an extra gain stage, and a depth control. The EQ was tweaked some. Funny enough, it doesn't sound THAT far away from my SLO modded JC. Look at the Ceriatone layouts for ideas for mods.

Oh cool and thanks for the info ! Ill check them out later today, i found 4 big speaker 1/4 Jacks yesterday

Building the Wonder Drive today...going to socket C1 and C7 to play around with the values..or at least thats my plan, pulled my parts late last night and all laid out

I study those Ceriatone schematics, they look nice on my 32" monitor, on my Ceriatone 800 i bought looks like the guy done a few extra mods as well as the PPIMV he added, I learned how to check all my voltages on the pins yesterday with the multimeter..and rechecked and so on ...im kinda proud of my self...but ive been studying and taking notes and rewatching Vids for well over a year...also draining those caps to nothing..1st step you need to learn !

Im also on the wait list for that Muzzle chip as well....lol (fingers tapping on desk patiently waiting ) but i built 2 , ones a backup for the one i have in my rack , ill say this over and over ..i can hear a pin drop because of the Muzzle...those are my must have, i need it ...and most favorite builds so far as a utility pedal

Theres always idea's to be had on pedal builds...i marvel over some of the guys enclosures graphics they are doing...ill just use my P-Touch but i like creative people and ideas

Mike

Shask

Reaction score
Oh cool and thanks for the info ! Ill check them out later today, i found 4 big speaker 1/4 Jacks yesterday

Building the Wonder Drive today...going to socket C1 and C7 to play around with the values..or at least thats my plan, pulled my parts late last night and all laid out

I study those Ceriatone schematics, they look nice on my 32" monitor, on my Ceriatone 800 i bought looks like the guy done a few extra mods as well as the PPIMV he added, I learned how to check all my voltages on the pins yesterday with the multimeter..and rechecked and so on ...im kinda proud of my self...but ive been studying and taking notes and rewatching Vids for well over a year...also draining those caps to nothing..1st step you need to learn !

Im also on the wait list for that Muzzle chip as well....lol (fingers tapping on desk patiently waiting ) but i built 2 , ones a backup for the one i have in my rack , ill say this over and over ..i can hear a pin drop because of the Muzzle...those are my must have, i need it ...and most favorite builds so far as a utility pedal

Theres always idea's to be had on pedal builds...i marvel over some of the guys enclosures graphics they are doing...ill just use my P-Touch but i like creative people and ideas

Mike
I ended up going back in my Wonder Drive and socketing C1 and C7 sometime last week. I think I settled on 10nF for C1, and 330nF for C7, which are the Rev 1 values given on the forum I think. That gives a decent sweep. I still think it is more of a saturation control than a "tight" control like you would think of something that cuts bass.

I saw where he said he was going to redesign the Muzzle with a THAT4305 and two additional opamps to get around needing that specific chip, but who knows when that will be ready. I saw that he took the SMT version of the IC off the website. I am ready, lol. That is one of the only ones at the top of my list I am waiting on. Same with the Arachnid. Sadly, the THAT chip discontinuation and thru hole J201 disappearance happened in 2018-2019 in between my waves of pedal building, and I wish I was paying more attention. I would have bought up more parts before they were gone.

Yeah, I could definitely do more with graphics, but it is such a pain. I just label mine with paint markers. I am more worried about having a cool sounding pedal than something nice to look at. I am just happy when my holes end up straight after drilling, lol. The main thing I have considered is an analog delay, like a EHX DMM clone, but the chips are so expensive, and not sure I want to commit. I will probably just wait until the THAT4301 and FV-1 chips are in stock again, after 6 months or whatever.

Mourguitars

Reaction score
Have you had the pleasure of soldering the SMD J201's yet...Hmmm...its like soldering a Flea to a Tick...lol....i done ok with it, i have steady hands...but there always a "but" somewhere...i have to wear glasses on top of my glasses now. twice the strength ..lol...man... 59 isn't so kind !

Thats cool he redesigning that PCB....i seen someone on another forum of a guy making a similar pedal....dont know if he used that THAT chip or some other one...its was a buzz a few months ago...never seen a gut shot

Im kinda OCD on my graphics...optics i guess...i have a lot of friends that are artists ...so....i always had Graphics on my USA Jacksons....and loved Skateboard graphics....and hey ....still like day Glow colors....grew up in the 80's in my 20's...lol

Mike

Turd Ferguson

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
For the past few years my GAS has been limited to mostly amps, cabs, and fx.

But I'm starting to get the itch for one of these.

Thank god they seem to be out of stock everywhere at the moment.

750-PSL3QB_front.jpg.auto.webp

Well shit. I got all gassed up and found a seller on Reverb that per the listing had two of these in stock. And their price was $150 less than everybody else (who are all out of stock anyway). So I pulled the trigger and asked if they could send a pic of each so I could choose one or the other, and they replied right away "sure no problem, be right back."

So I'm doing stuff around the house, waiting for pics of my soon-to-be new axe.

And instead I get a refund notice with the note "sorry for the inconvenience but these are currently unavailable."

DAMMIT.

Mourguitars

Reaction score
Well shit. I got all gassed up and found a seller on Reverb that per the listing had two of these in stock. And their price was $150 less than everybody else (who are all out of stock anyway). So I pulled the trigger and asked if they could send a pic of each so I could choose one or the other, and they replied right away "sure no problem, be right back."

So I'm doing stuff around the house, waiting for pics of my soon-to-be new axe.

And instead I get a refund notice with the note "sorry for the inconvenience but these are currently unavailable."

DAMMIT.

Man thats beat Mr T..oh well keep looking !

Im waiting on a guy coming well was 8:30 its after 12 now to buy my bosses wrecked truck...i could have had my pedal done by now....i hate with a passion to spend my days off doing a favor for a no show...ugh...killing my mood ! lol

Speaking of no shows ....that Genz Benz 2x12 is back for sale on CL that i was all hot over a few months back...same seller

Ive been googling ...so with me having that limited space on our extra desk for my Amp/Guitar repair stuff...i think i might get this for putting my tools in and its the same height as my desk....just thinking but might work out well ....get rid of these plastic tool boxes under the desk that i put my feet on...

Mike

s-l640.png

Celtic Frosted Flakes

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
My next guitar is maybe going to be a V guitar. Thinking about the Jackson KVTMG. Also curious about the Epiphone versions of both the Mustaine and Hammett sigs, might be one of them instead.

youngthrasher9

Ur Mom Is Too Much Gain
Reaction score
I played a bunch of guitars at the GC in Nashville on Thursday, and made some interesting discoveries. My favorites were the Epiphone Les Paul Customs, close second was a Hagstrom Fantomen which was way out of left field for my taste. The surprising tie for last place was a LTD Viper 1000, and the Epiphone Propecy SG. The neck volute on the viper was pretty obstructive for the shape of my hand when fretting an Em (partially due to fretting with ring and pinky finger for that chord), and it just generally sounded small. The Prophecy played very nice but the finish on these turned me WAY off. It was like an eggshell texture that just felt cheap, and that’s not something that typically bothers me. That combined with the fluences sounding like thin dogshit on a mid-gain setting was just a no-go for me. What’s interesting was that those pickups sounded incredible with hilarious amounts of gain, and that may be why bands like Cannibal Corpse love them. They sounded great with what would normally be an unusual amount of gain.

Now I’m at confusing spot deciding what Les Paul to buy because I hate gold hardware on guitars, so if I bought the custom which sounded and felt best to me, I’d be piling on like $400 worth of hardware and electronics to make it look how I want.

nightlight

Reaction score
Yeah pretty much.
I might keep the POD for the other guitarist. The bassist changes sounds and is kind FX heavy. I only play twice in the set but I need a rhythm and lead tone.

Technically I could run all three of us but we'll see what happens. I also need the ability to run IRs I have..and the Native plugin obviously helps a lot. So it just seems like the best choice.

How come you're buying gear for your bandmates to use? Curious to know.

Reaction score
How come you're buying gear for your bandmates to use? Curious to know.

It's my musical project. They are just live members so I need a single tower that'll handle the brains of the show and all any member has to do is plug into it. This way if I ever need to change members suddenly they don't have to worry about having the right gear or effects for the songs or remembering which parts to switch sounds on. All they have to do is plug into the tower.

This way I will have programmed everything and I don't have to rely on anyone else to get the sounds right, or know what sounds to use at what time.

I can't really expect them to buy rack gear for my purposes, not to mention I want it done quickly and correctly so it's best to build it myself

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hoping to finally buy a Steinberger GR4 soon... Not sure if i should though..:scratch:

If it's your white whale, do it.

But the price on the non-MusicYo stuff is just bonkers these days for what you get. They're cool guitars, but a Kiesel will get you like 90% of the way there for like <50% the price.

Again though, if you need that 10% to be happy, do it. It's pretty much a risk free investment as you'll just about always be able to flip it for at least what you paid.

Breeding The Spawn

Reaction score
If it's your white whale, do it.

But the price on the non-MusicYo stuff is just bonkers these days for what you get. They're cool guitars, but a Kiesel will get you like 90% of the way there for like <50% the price.

Again though, if you need that 10% to be happy, do it. It's pretty much a risk free investment as you'll just about always be able to flip it for at least what you paid.

This is what I'm looking at, But waiting to see what else catches my attention. Been looking at the Vader V6X models too.
https://reverb.com/item/43179048-steinberger-gr4-musicyo

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Snagged a JOYO Firebrand, I've got enough coin that I can afford it even if I only use it like, a day a month at best :lol: My primary sound is the MESA route, but there's stuff I like to practice that needs that slightly different tone that you can't get with reshaping any of the tone controls no matter how hard you try; so now this will cover that ground.

Accoun

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Ordered a Behringer tremolo... and their Sansamp bass DI clone. I don't even have the bass yet, because my order got delayed until next month. But it was from the same seller and I haven't seen any other used locally in a while, so the low price got the better of me.

On the other hand, the Thomann package sans the missing bass arrives tomorrow and among things there's a TUSQ nut. I've been curious about these - wonder if I'm gonna notice any difference with stability.

')