What is your next guitar/gear purchase gonna be?

Moongrum

Reaction score
It's here!

419710263_228149310373882_8556651364616603935_n.jpg
Oh 😂
I'm way too behind on this thread lol

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
What were you looking at? I haven't seen any cool ones in a while.

There were two of the latest revision Horizon-Is at IIRC Ikebe used for $2200, one black and one red. Not a stunning bargain price, but given new they're up to $5k-$6k it's the cheapest I'm seeing them anymore for the latest inlay version.

The GAS is real right now an jumping all over the place :rofl:

Jon Pearson

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm thinking I need a classy modern Strat type. I was inspired by the Aerodynes, but I'm also thinking about FGNs, Volas, Ibanez AZs, and Music Man's offerings (Silhouettes and Cutlasses, I guess? Idk, no direct copies).

Kyle Jordan

Ace of Knaves
Reaction score
I'm thinking I need a classy modern Strat type. I was inspired by the Aerodynes, but I'm also thinking about FGNs, Volas, Ibanez AZs, and Music Man's offerings (Silhouettes and Cutlasses, I guess? Idk, no direct copies).
I've always had a fondness for EBMM Silhouettes.

And similar to your thinking, I've been hard eyeing several guitar options lately. Anderson Angel 7, another Aristides H/08 with SSS pickups, and the Gus G neck thru 24 fret So Cal.

That said, I've most been looking at Strat/pickguard motifs. Things like a Kiesel Headless Delos, a Strandberg Boden Classic NX and then hunting down a used Boden NX Prog for the neck and hardware to combine in to the Stratberg of my dreams, some of the new Charvel So Cal models w/24 frets, or going full insane and finally doing the Flying Stratocaster I whipped up. (Flying V bolt on with a pickguard and SSS, Strat woods.)

A bit all over the place, but that's the next big purchase in some form.

EDIT:

Screenshots of the latest Flying Stratocaster ideas. With 7 strings to boot!

signal-2024-01-20-085718_002.jpeg

signal-2024-01-20-085718_003.jpeg

EDIT #2:

It occurs to me that my Stratberg idea may be overthought. routing out and getting a custom pickguard for a Prog NX may be the better solution.

Last edited:

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yea, it's all original, but a 90s Fender CS model with the 9V pre. I've heard some fanatics who love that one, but I think generally it's not a very desirable iteration. Kubicki the company is still up, and they sell all the parts for restoring it, or the other preamps if you want to switch. Pretty cool company in that regard and has that family operated feel to it. Seems like good people.

The extender works really well. It's very high tension, more than I was expecting. There's no play or give to it at all.
I had no idea Kubicki was around in that way, that is awesome!

I wonder if that preamp is similar to the ones in Fender American Deluxe basses. If so, I would agree. The frequency points were weird and not musical at all, imo. The couple I had sounded like ass, pickups included.

Stiman

Reaction score
I'm really intrigued by the Horizon Devices Clarity Compressor. I'm waiting to see some review and comparison videos. I'm kinda wanting a hardware compressor pedal (as opposed to in the box) so this has me interested.

Jon Pearson

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I've always had a fondness for EBMM Silhouettes.

And similar to your thinking, I've been hard eyeing several guitar options lately. Anderson Angel 7, another Aristides H/08 with SSS pickups, and the Gus G neck thru 24 fret So Cal.

That said, I've most been looking at Strat/pickguard motifs. Things like a Kiesel Headless Delos, a Strandberg Boden Classic NX and then hunting down a used Boden NX Prog for the neck and hardware to combine in to the Stratberg of my dreams, some of the new Charvel So Cal models w/24 frets, or going full insane and finally doing the Flying Stratocaster I whipped up. (Flying V bolt on with a pickguard and SSS, Strat woods.)

A bit all over the place, but that's the next big purchase in some form.

EDIT:

Screenshots of the latest Flying Stratocaster ideas. With 7 strings to boot!

View attachment 136903
View attachment 136904
EDIT #2:

It occurs to me that my Stratberg idea may be overthought. routing out and getting a custom pickguard for a Prog NX may be the better solution.

I like the spirit! I'm in a similar boat where I want the SSS layout, and it's honestly more difficult than I thought to find that but with more modern necks and other appointments. I imagine Fender does something like what I want if I wanted to spend silly money.

profwoot

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm really intrigued by the Horizon Devices Clarity Compressor. I'm waiting to see some review and comparison videos. I'm kinda wanting a hardware compressor pedal (as opposed to in the box) so this has me interested.
Agreed. I'm guessing (hoping?) it's basically a Keeley 4-knob but with a more useful tone knob. Problem is that with HD pedals you either order it immediately before you know anything about it or else you wait however long for the used market to develop.

profwoot

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Update: That Warwick Corvette Standard 5 is wicked. Biggest/heaviest neck I could have fathomed (11.4lb/5.2kg overall), but the growl and punch are just right.

Now I've ordered a Darkglass Alpha-Omega 500 head, because you can't have one without the other.

Stiman

Reaction score
Agreed. I'm guessing (hoping?) it's basically a Keeley 4-knob but with a more useful tone knob. Problem is that with HD pedals you either order it immediately before you know anything about it or else you wait however long for the used market to develop.

Really? It says batch 1 or something right now. Hope I can get it new if I end up wanting it.

profwoot

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Really? It says batch 1 or something right now. Hope I can get it new if I end up wanting it.
Think it said they're still ramping up production and to expect 2-3 weeks right now. And yeah if it succeeds they'll make more eventually.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Someone selling an old Line 6 XDR95 system for $60 so uh
impulse buy ahoy lmao

It's missing a battery clip on the transmitter but I can probably jerry-rig something

MatrixClaw

Whoaaa No Way!!!
Reaction score
What are you using a compressor for right now? I know what a compressor does, but it's such a subtle effect on most guitar sounds, I'm not sure there'd be much use for me. That said, I keep fighting the urge to buy the Walrus Mira for cheap before they sell out :lol: I've watched a ton of videos on different compressor pedals and even on clean sounds, the difference is very minimal. When I used to record bands, I only ever used a light amount of compression on clean guitars to even out parts where they picked a bit harder and the volume spiked and really nothing else.

Jon Pearson

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
What are you using a compressor for right now? I know what a compressor does, but it's such a subtle effect on most guitar sounds, I'm not sure there'd be much use for me. That said, I keep fighting the urge to buy the Walrus Mira for cheap before they sell out :lol: I've watched a ton of videos on different compressor pedals and even on clean sounds, the difference is very minimal. When I used to record bands, I only ever used a light amount of compression on clean guitars to even out parts where they picked a bit harder and the volume spiked and really nothing else.

If you play super evenly, I think a compressor is not very noticeable. I'm not a remarkable player, but I am really uniform in my attack, so I don't notice much difference unless I'm playing clean with my fingers instead of a pick.

Stiman

Reaction score

The one thing that I do hope to achieve beyond the clean tones is getting more sustain with amp sims. I find (and others have mentioned it on this and other forums) that amp sims are missing sustain for high gain tones. Not everyone feels this way, but I some do. Amp sims always feel like the decay is too fast and I always feel like I'm fighting it a bit. Unlike my 5150 Iconic, which doesn't have this issue at all. In case you're wondering, I keep the noise gates at about -80 on amp sims. When it's set really hi (-40 or so) it does suck the sustain out pretty aggressively, but -80 not so much.

Anyway, I also want it for cleans, so don't crucify me for the above comment if you don't feel the same about amp sims.

MoistTowelette

Reaction score
Picked up a pair of 16 ohm governors to replace the k100s I've been trying out in my 412 fatbottom cab. I think they may be my favorite speaker. No matter what other combination I try, I always end up gravitating towards whatever cab has the governors on the top row.

Also have a Rivera Rockcrusher and a Lichtlaerm King in Yellow on the way.

Shask

Reaction score
The one thing that I do hope to achieve beyond the clean tones is getting more sustain with amp sims. I find (and others have mentioned it on this and other forums) that amp sims are missing sustain for high gain tones. Not everyone feels this way, but I some do. Amp sims always feel like the decay is too fast and I always feel like I'm fighting it a bit. Unlike my 5150 Iconic, which doesn't have this issue at all. In case you're wondering, I keep the noise gates at about -80 on amp sims. When it's set really hi (-40 or so) it does suck the sustain out pretty aggressively, but -80 not so much.

Anyway, I also want it for cleans, so don't crucify me for the above comment if you don't feel the same about amp sims.
I find many digital amp modelers in general seem to have an overactive dynamic feel. It is like they go overboard on trying to make it feel dynamic, that is gets unnaturally dynamic. You have to slam the strings to get any sustain. Compressors can help in these situations.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
In the opposite direction of the thread, I dusted off my P-bass last night, and I think I might sell my 5-string as I never play it in favor of the 4-string; I like the idea of having the extended range with the 5-string, but I don't like the width of the neck that it requires, so I could always buy a 4-string and de-tune it to baritone range if I find myself needing that (highly unlikely though). Not to mention I can just set up a bass patch with a de-tune pedal and drop it down a couple steps and be done with it as well.

')