What is your next guitar/gear purchase gonna be?

Crash Dandicoot

» B E H O L D
Reaction score
130303-dsc_1776-nikon-d700.jpg

I fucking want it. The hunt for a JCRG-3 looks like it's gonna take a bit, this would help tide me over nicely.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Someone should buy this super rare LTD EC1000!

View attachment 147065
Oh shit I remember that one. Was one of the first full-thickness EC-1000s.

Only issue is that it's not that rare. The rarest EC-1000T is the one decked out in abalone. I think it was only available for a year before they replaced it with the EC-1000T/CTM with standard multi-ply binding lol

esp.jpg

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Contributor
Reaction score
Sounds awesome, would love to see a pic of that finish! I'm considering the Tiger Eye stain myself. How was the roasted neck sans finish? Would you pay the extra cash next time for them to finish it on their end?

I like the idea of putting in an order with literally everything needed for assembly from Warmoth just to simplify things, but basically nice parts + decent wood selection is like $1,700+ all in nowadays. I feel like I've heard horror stories of wonky necks and bad body routes, but that was years ago. Just not sure if the woods/materials are up to snuff for their pricing in today's market.

I have bought three warmoth bodies and five necks in the past couple years. Overall I was satisfied but my complaints were thus-

1) no option for a dual action truss rod and I think the gotoh side adjust is dumb as hell.
2) the fretless bass neck I ordered was beautiful but needed a very serious leveling to be playable.
3) 1 of the 2 roasted maple necks I bought was unusually brittle, even considering roasted maple necks are by nature somewhat brittle and I blew a chunk of the shelf off when I was changing the nut.

The good:

Everything looked amazing. For the necks- Fret jobs were excellent despite having no leveling performed. I was able to achieve a string action of 4/64"-2ish/64" action (bass to treble taper) with no buzz straight out of the box on 3 of the necks. The 4th guitar neck did need a leveling to eliminate buzz in a couple areas when the bass side action was below 5/64" @ 17th fret with minimal relief. For the bodies- good quality, no fitment issues.

For the record, I sold everything besides one neck. I bought all the stuff to build and dick around, and once everything was done it was like "why do I have all these bolt-on 6 string FSO's"

I bought three XGP bodies from GuitarFetish last year as well and I'll be honest, I kept them over the warmoth bodies. The sparkle paint jobs on them are SICK and there are no flaws. I know at this point I'm deviating to talking just about strats but oh well

Here's an XGP body with a warmoth roaster on it.

20240717_200843.jpg

Shask

Reaction score
Kinda in the same boat. I have one guitar for each tuning between E and B as well as the correlating drop tuning (E to D, D# to C#, etc), though I'm thinking about having 2 separate guitars for E# and drop D# since those are my 2 main tunings and I wanna have a floating trem'd guitar for those tunings
I dont keep any in drop because I can just drop my hardtails when I want pretty easy. I also have Wolfgang Standards in E and D with DTunas, so they can do Drop D and Drop C easy.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I dont keep any in drop because I can just drop my hardtails when I want pretty easy. I also have Wolfgang Standards in E and D with DTunas, so they can do Drop D and Drop C easy.
Well all my guitars are hard tailed and not floating so I mean I can easily drop them so each guitar can do two tunings. But I mean that I want to have 2 guitars that I want to keep floating so I'll have to set them up *specifically* for 2 separate tunings

...listen I just want an excuse to buy this lol

712gpJI-soL.jpg

Shask

Reaction score
Well all my guitars are hard tailed and not floating so I mean I can easily drop them so each guitar can do two tunings. But I mean that I want to have 2 guitars that I want to keep floating so I'll have to set them up *specifically* for 2 separate tunings

...listen I just want an excuse to buy this lol

712gpJI-soL.jpg
About half my guitars are Floyds. I love Floyds, but I have been less into trems lately.

I LOVE those new Sandblasted SE CEs they introduced, but not really for $200 more than the standard price.

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Contributor
Reaction score
Oh and to put one more caveat on the parts guitar thing- if you're looking for a good bolt on fender/charvel style neck- I like Musikraft these days. They do a good pointy (ltd/jackson-ish pointy) headstock and also a good banana headstock, and reverse is an option. Tons of neck profiles to choose from, and their fretwork is very excellent.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Oh and to put one more caveat on the parts guitar thing- if you're looking for a good bolt on fender/charvel style neck- I like Musikraft these days. They do a good pointy (ltd/jackson-ish pointy) headstock and also a good banana headstock, and reverse is an option. Tons of neck profiles to choose from, and their fretwork is very excellent.

I'll second this, I have a lot of their necks including two that I just got and they are awesome. Should be posting test assembly pics of the 2 guitars this weekend before the bodies get shipped off for paint if all goes well.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
When it comes to Warmoth stuff, if you're not as experienced or prepared for parts builds, just get finished pieces. They actually warranty those, and thus tend to be better all around.

JDB123

Newb Extraordinaire
Reaction score
1 of the 2 roasted maple necks I bought was unusually brittle, even considering roasted maple necks are by nature somewhat brittle and I blew a chunk of the shelf off when I was changing the nut.

Everything looked amazing. For the necks- Fret jobs were excellent despite having no leveling performed. For the bodies- good quality, no fitment issues.

I bought three XGP bodies from GuitarFetish last year as well and I'll be honest, I kept them over the warmoth bodies. The sparkle paint jobs on them are SICK and there are no flaws. I know at this point I'm deviating to talking just about strats but oh well

Here's an XGP body with a warmoth roaster on it.

View attachment 147067
Good info all around, thanks for sharing your experiences! That blue sparkly body is sick as hell, I’d forgotten about GFS as well. Did a little looking around on their site tonight.
Good call on Musikraft as well, I actually started going down this rabbit hole after GAS-ing for a Holdsworth Charvel build.
I'll second this, I have a lot of their necks including two that I just got and they are awesome. Should be posting test assembly pics of the 2 guitars this weekend before the bodies get shipped off for paint if all goes well.
Good to see another +1 for Musikraft.
When it comes to Warmoth stuff, if you're not as experienced or prepared for parts builds, just get finished pieces. They actually warranty those, and thus tend to be better all around.
Yeah that’s kind of the angle I’m looking at it. This would be my first ever partscaster, so I’ll probably require/seek out a lot of handholding and fully finished/spec’ed bits. That and Warmoth has a smaller 7/8th size S-style body I’m interested in.

Latest posts

')