What is your next guitar/gear purchase gonna be?

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I know a percentage of the fractal forum uses their axefx with a power amp and cab to get the “amp in the room” techno describes.

I never felt it was missing so I havent tried to replicate it.

“If you want “amp in the room” sound, you need to run an amp (axe/ax8/fm*+ power amp and cab) in the room.”

Yep tried that too... still not the same :lol:

That said it's really all a preference thing so do what you want

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jon Pearson

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It's interesting, I think there is a lot more of an argument for the Axe FX live then there is in a studio/home environment 😂

Live, having all the tone in one unit with a simple controller is so convenient. Trying to get that kind of control with standalone pedals and amps is an expensive nightmare.

At home, I'd just buy a reactive load box and keep the amps. No pressure to do a bunch of fancy switching, the amps being cumbersome isn't an issue... really there is no incentive to get rid of anything unless you need space.

Shask

Reaction score
Looking to downsize and streamline my studio setup and sell off most of my amps. Thinking of selling my ENGL Ironball, Mesa Mark V 35, Bogner Uberschall tube amps and replace them all with either a Fractal Axe FX III or Kemper and keep my Mezzabarba MZero. Hardware amp models are so good now that for recording guitar that makes my life easier. I do not play in a band nor live so no need for tube amps. Thoughts? Also very interested in studio friendly amps like the new Diezel VHX that has the greatest hits of Diezel all tube goodness plus onboard effects or the Rev Generator.
Yeah, I also dont understand the idea that not playing live means you dont need tubes. Just play what sounds and feels good to play. I also agree that a reactive load box is a very useful tool for home playing.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
It's interesting, I think there is a lot more of an argument for the Axe FX live then there is in a studio/home environment 😂

Live, having all the tone in one unit with a simple controller is so convenient. Trying to get that kind of control with standalone pedals and amps is an expensive nightmare.

At home, I'd just buy a reactive load box and keep the amps. No pressure to do a bunch of fancy switching, the amps being cumbersome isn't an issue... really there is no incentive to get rid of anything unless you need space.
Space, the money the gear turns into, the volume and routing possibilities without needing to check cable runs etc… axe in both scenarios ;)

Jon Pearson

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Space, the money the gear turns into, the volume and routing possibilities without needing to check cable runs etc… axe in both scenarios ;)

Don't get me wrong, I won't be selling mine any time soon, but I reckon if I hadn't already owned one from gigging, I don't think I'd buy one for home jams. Luckily I'm spoiled and get to have amps and Axe 😁

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
I bought an EMG H4A and two S3 single coils. I had two SLVs (bridge/neck) and an SA (middle) in my Fender American Performer Stratocaster, but wasn't really feeling it. Now with these pickups, I really enjoy the way the guitar performs.

I have an EMG H1A and two S1 single coils that I plan on putting in another one of my guitars, probably my white Fender Player Stratocaster.

MatrixClaw

Whoaaa No Way!!!
Reaction score

+1 to this. Exactly why I still use amps. I prefer the feel of them in the room, but who cares live? You can't tell that when there's other instruments blasting at you in a room that sounds like ass. I'd absolutely go with a modeler in that instance. Aside from larger touring bands, I've never heard a local band playing original songs that sounds good at a live show with amps, whereas I've heard plenty that sound good with digital rigs. Far less variables that are introduced into this equation and FoH is way easier to deal with.

At home, I don't care about most of the convenience that modelers give me because sound is the most important thing there. I'm not trying to run a complex rig at home, I just want to plug and play.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
The first thing I hear at home with real amps, before the power is fully on, is hum. I didnt miss that sound whatsoever.

MatrixClaw

Whoaaa No Way!!!
Reaction score
The first thing I hear at home with real amps, before the power is fully on, is hum. I didnt miss that sound whatsoever.
For me, not hearing the hum is really weird and is the first thing I noticed with the Spark amp I bought my dad - very strange to turn it on and not be sure it's actually on because it's so quiet :lol: That said, my Savage is dead silent with its built in gate and so is my Iconic, so no big deal there for me.

Also, unrelated, but if anyone has ToneX, you can get one of their paid packs for free right now: https://audioplugin.deals/product/tonex-metal-gems-collection-by-ik-multimedia/

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Listening to too much Al Di Meola is giving me GAS for buying a Les Paul to put Dimarzios in
i vote yes.

Just got back from a dollar store:
- microfiber clothes
- towel to replace the piece of shirt at bottom of guitar rack 1 that may have moved causing rack rash :ugh:
- 3-tier storage for small stuff on my desk

A bit cleaner now :yesway:

IMG_0999.jpeg

IMG_1001.jpeg

Bonus cleaning content (iykyk)

IMG_0998.jpeg

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
For me, not hearing the hum is really weird and is the first thing I noticed with the Spark amp I bought my dad - very strange to turn it on and not be sure it's actually on because it's so quiet :lol: That said, my Savage is dead silent with its built in gate and so is my Iconic, so no big deal there for me.

Also, unrelated, but if anyone has ToneX, you can get one of their paid packs for free right now: https://audioplugin.deals/product/tonex-metal-gems-collection-by-ik-multimedia/
Having real pedals again quickly reminded me how much it sucks planning power and routing irl, not to mention troubleshooting. Some days I think Im crazy, other days I know it :lol:

Shask

Reaction score
One of the benefits for me for why to mess with digital stuff at home is for the convenience of simplicity. When I use my tube stuff I have amps, ODs, noise gates, EQs, etc..... with all their power supplies and such all over the room. It is nice to be able to replicate all that within one box.

Shask

Reaction score
Having real pedals again quickly reminded me how much it sucks planning power and routing irl, not to mention troubleshooting. Some days I think Im crazy, other days I know it :lol:
Yeah, as I just mentioned, this side of it can be annoying. Also weird stuff, like if I use my loadbox, but then use a pedal with a charge pump in it, I will get a loud high pitched whine. Then I have to look at moving the power supplies around. It definitely gets annoying compared to a single unit.

I will say though, I do find with pedals I do tend to use more sounds. It is more fun to play with the pedals when you can actually turn the knobs and such. I find I experiment more, where with something like the Fractal, it is more like planning what you want and just setting up the final result.

Shask

Reaction score

I have been playing with the free ToneX software the last few weeks, by running my interface back into my guitar poweramps and cabs. I have to say it is pretty cool. I downloaded 5 or 6 captures. I have been trying to think if it would be useful to go with that system when I already have the Fractal stuff.

')