What is your next guitar/gear purchase gonna be?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ah didnt know parts were changing plus the rebias, shows what i know :lol:

To be fair he was also working later than expected when I showed up.9

Yeah IIRC there's 3 resistors that are different on the 6550 amps.

You may just be able to get away with rebiasing but should really do the component swaps. If you want something in that direction without updating anything you could try some KT77s.

Jon Pearson

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
What does everybody here use to polish their guitars (if you are into that)? I ran out pf the stuff I've been using forever and can't find any for sale.

Wiltonauer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
What does everybody here use to polish their guitars (if you are into that)? I ran out pf the stuff I've been using forever and can't find any for sale.
I have a bunch of different things I’ve bought to use, but I’m afraid to use them on anything that’s not cheap and poly-encapsulated. Now I have a Les Paul with a worn-in nitro finish, and I have no idea how to take care of it, let alone the case queen stuff. I think Dan Erlewine said we could breathe on them to clean them.

Jon Pearson

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have a bunch of different things I’ve bought to use, but I’m afraid to use them on anything that’s not cheap and poly-encapsulated. Now I have a Les Paul with a worn-in nitro finish, and I have no idea how to take care of it, let alone the case queen stuff. I think Dan Erlewine said we could breathe on them to clean them.
I saw PRS sells something for nitro - Trogly's on YouTube deals pretty much exclusively in high dollar Gibson stuff, I'm thinking about messaging him to ask what he uses for cleaning and polishing.

TheBolivianSniper

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Snapchat-163433489.jpg

Just pulled the trigger on a very mistreated BC Rich mockingbird I found at the Nashville Guitar Center. I was asking about it when my buddies went to look at bullshit for fun since the switch was literally broken off and they said they couldn't go lower on it since it was already discounted due to insane overstock sitting for 3 years.

After a few other considerations I went back and asked what the discounted price was. It's an 1800 guitar new any more, and after I cleared some space with a (terribly valued) trade in, I went home with it just now for 500 even.

Just pulled the neck pickup since I won't use it and I don't feel like soldering a new switch in at the moment and I'll honestly just clean up the open cavity and set it up for B. It's not the best playing thing ever like some of my other guitars but I think with a good setup it'll really shine.

It feels like an extremely high quality guitar, just very abused, and it sounds ridiculous. I think any pickup that's not crazy tight wouldn't work in it but the fishman modern sounds immense in both voices. It holds tune perfectly even with ancient strings and is a rhythm player's dream.

Very happy to have a mockingbird again and I'm extremely tempted to go back to pick up the satin black one that was missing a string since this one turned out so well. It would be insane to have 2 great guitars that just needed some TLC for 1k.

Moongrum

Reaction score
Bought some tortex picks. I usually use the green flow ones, but been thinking I need more give and a less pointy tip, so bought the regular ones in orange (.6) and yellow (.73), huge purchase, I know 😮‍💨

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
Although I don't have the need for it, I just saw Fryette released a new amp switcher and impedence matcher ZMACS 4x4. This thing looks awesome and it's got midi too !

Jon Pearson

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Sell the orville buy a 3k ish used custom shop and riff :cool:

I really like the Orville though! It's a low-guilt guitar - it's already beaten up, but still plays great. Don't think I'm going to dump that one.

While we are talking about though - comparing an R0 to say, the current LPS '60s: how different are they really? I'm not such a huge Gibbo guy, I'm not sure what the quality difference is between the custom shop and the regular production.

There are some spec differences I would assume - long vs. short tenon, pickups, bridge(?)... not sure how far that goes

')