What is your "white whale" guitar?

• Thread starter Wynseun
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ThunderUnderground

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
@prlgmnr @Wynseun

Screenshot taken just now.
Screenshot_16.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
One of those Ibanez RGT Prestiges from the early-mid 00s. There were two models, one with a a sunburst finish and one in natural. I don't remember the model names. I always thought they looked great. Played one during a family vacation to a part of the country you could actually find high end stuff. They were actually kind of a good deal at the time, if I'm remembering correctly.

I decided on a Jackson SL2H instead to blow my high school graduation money on. I don't regret that one bit, since that's still my #1. However, it's gotten very hard to find those RGTs.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
One of those Ibanez RGT Prestiges from the early-mid 00s. There were two models, one with a a sunburst finish and one in natural. I don't remember the model names. I always thought they looked great. Played one during a family vacation to a part of the country you could actually find high end stuff. They were actually kind of a good deal at the time, if I'm remembering correctly.

I decided on a Jackson SL2H instead to blow my high school graduation money on. I don't regret that one bit, since that's still my #1. However, it's gotten very hard to find those RGTs.

xzacx

Reaction score
I believe this is technically a "white octopus" guitar, but I think it still meets the criteria for the thread. I used to hound the person that owns(ed?) it to sell it to me every couple months, but stopped because I didn't wanna be annoying. I usually hate guitars with graphics too, but this is a rare instance where I think it makes something as cool as a Warrior 7 even cooler.

wiretap

Reaction score
Not exactly limited production but a Les Paul Custom in tobacco burst from the mid 70s - the 80s. I have stipulations however - They were very inconsistent with how they finished these on the backs and sides. I would like one that has a mahogany neck (a lot of them are maple) and want the whole thing to be burst. Back, sides, neck, etc. some have natural backs, some don’t have the sides done in burst, etc. Or, the finish is good but the neck is maple. You can take a quick look in reverb to see how all over the place they are. I regret not going in on one years ago before they were as expensive as they are now.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
JPM90HAM...

what makes it worse is I had one that was used to record the solos on Redemptions's The Fullness of Time album that I bought from Nik van Dyk and sold it :wallbash: One of the only guitars I legitimately regret selling.

I still want a Norlin Les Paul Custom with the maple neck, but I'll probably end up buying one of those eventually.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
I believe this is technically a "white octopus" guitar, but I think it still meets the criteria for the thread. I used to hound the person that owns(ed?) it to sell it to me every couple months, but stopped because I didn't wanna be annoying. I usually hate guitars with graphics too, but this is a rare instance where I think it makes something as cool as a Warrior 7 even cooler.

I doesn't meet the criteria of the thread (not a production guitar), but amazing guitar nonetheless.

Neon_Knight_

Reaction score
If I had to choose one "white whale" then it's definitely a mint (or almost mint) RG3120 in Twilight Blue. I don't think I'll need to justify this pick to too many people on SS.org, as it's widely considered to be the pinnacle of Ibanez Prestige.

index.php

Next would be the S6UC. I've always loved Sabres with figured tops and this lightly figured imbuia top is my favourite. I wouldn't normally go for gold hardware, but for this model it just works...so much so that I can even forgive the pickup mounting rings (like most people, I wish Ibanez would offer a 6-string double-locking term equipped Prestige S without mounting rings).

rsmyivgptbsrtthwm0jm.jpg

Also, if it counts as "production or quasi-production", the "Silver" Passion & Warfare 25th Anniversary Universe. This is my all-time favourite swirl colour scheme. I believe they were circa £7k new and when they occasionally pop-up on Reverb the asking price isn't far off this (circa £5.5-6k), which is unfortunately more than I could justify spending on a guitar.

DSC_5770_759d1e04-d035-46e2-be06-4a7e98fe96a9_800x.jpg

mastapimp

Reaction score
Nearly bought a buckethead les paul over 10 years ago that I think about every now and then. Not willing to pay the 10K plus they're going for now.

Another that I missed pulling the trigger on was an Alex Skolnick Heritage H150 model.

Mboogie7

When the fuck did we get ice cream?
Reaction score
Oo this is an easy one as a lefty.

ESP MX220 (never gonna happen)
Ibanez

Ibanez RG770EX in Neon Purple (never gonna happen).

ThePhilosopher

Reason User
Reaction score
Any color Schecter Cloud
Ibanez K7
PRS Hollowbody (preferably in Northern Lights or Jade Glow)
Eriza Verde Tremonti (own it)

Swarm

Reaction score
As a lefty there are a lot, most of them CS ESP:
ESP Eclipse FR
ESP SV
ESP Horizon I CAR
ESP Horizon MII-7
Jackson Soloist Eerie Dess Swirl
Jackson RR with 24 frets
Gibson Les Paul Custom full thickness no weight relief and Axcess neck heel
Gibson Les Paul Custom Axcess FR

Mboogie7

When the fuck did we get ice cream?
Reaction score
As a lefty there are a lot, most of them CS ESP:
ESP Eclipse FR
ESP SV
ESP Horizon I CAR
ESP Horizon MII-7
Jackson Soloist Eerie Dess Swirl
Jackson RR with 24 frets
Gibson Les Paul Custom full thickness no weight relief and Axcess neck heel
Gibson Les Paul Custom Axcess FR
Hello fellow lefty. We just need to collect all of our people and burn the world down until we have equal access to everything that right handed peeps have access to.

Join me and we’ll begin our crusade!

')