What kind of microphone is best

• Thread starter SevenStringSam
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SevenStringSam

Beware the glube!
Reaction score
im only spending like 25-30 dollars on this but whats the aboslute best mic i can get for that.

what is the best for vocals. unidirectional, omnidirectional? dynamic, condensed? what would be the best?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
That's really VERY little to spend on a mic. That's like buying a guitar for $50.

The cheap NADY mics aren't too bad though, they go for about $20 and are pretty solid. Though, I'd see about trying to find something like one of the cheaper Shure or AKG dynamic mics used. I know the SM58 (which is a great mic) is pretty common and I've seen them go for really cheap used.

SevenStringSam

Beware the glube!
Reaction score
i was actually about to text him haha. im looking at a shure sm 57. but ask what tino uses and tell me, thanks man

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
i was actually about to text him haha. im looking at a shure sm 57. but ask what tino uses and tell me, thanks man

An SM57 is a great mic, it's super versatile and works especially well on mic-ing guitar cabs.

I've seen them go for about $50 used.

Customisbetter

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
Contributor
Reaction score
Sm57. Pretty much the most popular microphone in the history of everything. I'm pretty sure God has a couple of them...

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
thats what im payin for it. can you tell me how its versatile?

It works great in front of guitar cabs, with a windscreen does vocals very well, it also sounds pretty good when micing up acoustic and wind instruments.

Unlike a lot of other mic's out there, it really can be used for just about everything without adding too much color, clipping, or harshness. There's a reason that these common $100 (new) mic's can be seen used in million dollar studios along side $2000+ mic's.

Customisbetter

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
Contributor
Reaction score
I think there is a massive difference between even a cheap condenser and a sm57, but difference does not mean better or worse. I prefer a condenser for vocal stuff....

Harry

Doom man of Doom.
Contributor
Reaction score
for vocals I wouldn't recommend an sm57, but an sm58.

Same shit if you got a pop filter and put it in front of an SM57 basically.
All the SM58 is just an SM57 with a shield anyway

Harry

Doom man of Doom.
Contributor
Reaction score
Anyway, while I'm here, I think condensers are generally much better for clean vocals, while the SM57 is generally perfect for screamers and death growlers.
Fucking ace mic for guitar cabinets too

dewy

Beet Farmer
Reaction score
Yeah the SM57 has been the staple mic for just about everything for 45 years for a reason. Its not the BEST at everything (micing acoustics, bass cabs, kick drums whatnot), but it's one of the best at recording guitars, vocals, horns, snares, etc. and mixes great with other mics.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It's the Swiss Army Knife of mics. You can get just about anything to sound decent through it, and it's *the* go-to choice for most guys who produce heavy guitar tones - there's something about the way it handles mids that really makes them sit in a mix well. You can throw them on snare, toms, even kick drum for live applications, they work in front of a bass cab, they're not bad (and sometimes perfect) for horns and percussion - I've made a djembe sound good live with one stuck in the bottom. They're passable vocal mics (and even preferable for some vocalists to a 58).

In short, for $50 you get something you'll never get rid of. Sounds worth it to me. :lol:

13point9

Now with Less Hair!
Reaction score
Billie Jean Vox= SM57

Most if not all U2 Album Vox= SM58 IN the control booth with the monitors up

These 2 mics pretty much are industry standard

JohnIce

Singlecoil Enthusiast
Reaction score
The SM58 is often regarded as a tad "rounder" or "warmer" sounding than the SM57, which is why many people use it for vocals, especially for people with high or thin voices (*cough* women *cough*). But the SM57 may just be a little more versatile. Condenser mic's generally pick up more detail and texture, which is often preferred when doing vocals. But they're also more fragile and sensitive to high volume, in most cases, so some people regard them as "studio" mics and use a 57/58 live where the volumes are louder. The SM57/58's could probably be dragged behind a snowmobile through the rocky mountains without really suffering from it :lol: Unless you break it in half, it's probably gonna sound great at any time.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
There was a site somewhere where they actually hammered in a nail with a 57 or 58 - I can't remember which - and it still sounded the same. There's a reason they're the unofficial industry standard. :lol:

Beardyman

Beardaholic.
Reaction score
There was a site somewhere where they actually hammered in a nail with a 57 or 58 - I can't remember which - and it still sounded the same. There's a reason they're the unofficial industry standard. :lol:

:lol::lol::lol: I wanna see that!

')