What Kind Of Vocals Do You Prefer?

• Thread starter Rambo247
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Vocal Styles

• Cleans

Votes: 13 15.9%
  • Highs

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Lows

Votes: 9 11.0%
  • Highs And Lows

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • All

Votes: 54 65.9%

• Total voters

Rambo247

OHH MY GOD!!!
Reaction score
I appreciate all kinds of vocals. I believe that it takes a special kind of skill to be a vocalist and I want to know your opinion. Do you like Cleans, Highs, Lows, Screams in general, or a combination of screams and cleans? Also, to those who cast a vote, please name your favorite band, that way 1) I can see where you're coming from and 2) just in case you like some artist that I have never heard of so that I can look them up because my music is getting stale. Thanks

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Empryrean

angery gear acquirer
Reaction score
I actually read your whole post, and i has a suggestion; A plea for Purging!

I also like this song very much, I shall learn it in time :squint:

JBroll

Hard-On For Freedom™
Contributor
Reaction score
Right now the vocalists who stand out the most to me are Russell Allen (especially on Paradise Lost) and Eric Kalsbeek (Textures), for being able to go so smoothly from 'perfectly clean' to 'oh, so that's where the sandpaper went' in a way that fits well with the band.

Jeff

JohnIce

Singlecoil Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like versatility, both in timbre and pitch. I'm a big fan of Daniel Gildenlöw of Pain of Salvation, and the horribly underrated Paul Stanley...

caughtinamosh

SS.org-er
Reaction score
As far as clean vocals are concerned, Steven Wilson (Porcupine Tree) and Mikael Akerfeldt (Opeth) spring to mind as favourites. I'm also a huge fan of Roger Waters, for the simple reason that no-one sounds like him. I've yet to hear pain and anguish personified so beautifully. For growling/screaming, I'm a huge fan of Alexi Laiho (Children of Bodom) and Jens Kidman (Meshuggah). I'm not hugely into really low death growls, and these two's slightly higher pitch sounds really good to me. :)

Thin_Ice_77

You'll never make it
Reaction score
It depends. I like some power metal vocals like ZP Theart from Dragonforce and the guy from Iron Fire. For the most part though I like unique screams like Howard Jones, he's got a really distinctive voice. I think Sam Carter from Architects is really talented too.

Holy Katana

Wait, what?
Reaction score
It just depends on the music. Most of the music I listen to has clean vocals, but that's because I don't listen to much metal anymore (although I'm listening to Meshuggah as I write this). Low vocals can be good, but a lot of them suck, particularly in deathcore bands. I generally prefer high vocals for extreme metal, but that's because it's easier for me to hear the lyrics.

Joeywilson

Banned
Reaction score
It depends. I like some power metal vocals like ZP Theart from Dragonforce and the guy from Iron Fire. For the most part though I like unique screams like Howard Jones, he's got a really distinctive voice. I think Sam Carter from Architects is really talented too.

I never knew that you were a powermetal guy :lol:

For me, I like all vocals as long as they work with the song. The best vocalist I have ever heard is Casey Sabol. Probably the most unique vocals I've heard that don't sound weird. I think the way he breaths contributes to the awsomeness. WHY IS HE NOT MAKING MILLIONS OF DOLLARS RIGHT NOW?

There is a local band from Vancouver called the grindhouse, their vocalist is amazing, even though he doesn't do cleans. I don't know, for some reason his voice just sticks out to me.
check them out: THE GRINDHOUSE on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads.
Man, I wish my screams were like that!

And last but certainly not least: Lights! :wub: I love this girl holly crap, holly crap, holly crap! At first I just listened to her stuff because I thought that she was the most gorgeous thing I'd ever seen but her music has actually grown on me. like, a lot. Her stuff has opened me up to this whole electronica thing that i'm really getting into at the moment. I think the music kind of drives itself, its very simple and to the point and she has such an amazing voice!

Adam Of Angels

The GAS Man
Reaction score
Right now the vocalists who stand out the most to me are Russell Allen (especially on Paradise Lost) and Eric Kalsbeek (Textures), for being able to go so smoothly from 'perfectly clean' to 'oh, so that's where the sandpaper went' in a way that fits well with the band.

Jeff

I can't comment on Textures much, but I agree 100% about Russel Allen - he's an amazingly smooth and strong vocalist. For that matter, Symphony X may get some recognition, but I think they're completely underrated.

Thin_Ice_77

You'll never make it
Reaction score
I never knew that you were a powermetal guy :lol:
I'm not really. It used to be all I listened to, I was a huge fan of Symphony X and I still like Iron Fire, Norther, Eluvietie, stuff like that. I'm more into metalcore and deathcore nowadays but I still like power metal, some of the guys in those bands can really sing.

Adam Of Angels

The GAS Man
Reaction score
Like Tony Kakko, he's the man. He's definitely one of my favorite vocalists.. though I don't care for most other Power Metal vocalists.

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score

Jeff

this.

JBroll

Hard-On For Freedom™
Contributor
Reaction score
I can't comment on Textures much, but I agree 100% about Russel Allen - he's an amazingly smooth and strong vocalist. For that matter, Symphony X may get some recognition, but I think they're completely underrated.

I didn't think nearly as much of them until Paradise Lost, but that is one godly fucking album. If you haven't checked out Textures, do so now - that's an order.

Jeff

')