What lunchbox head and cab?

• Thread starter MoshJosh
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MoshJosh

Reaction score
Alright so I want to by an amp and I love the whole lunchbox stack thing, but not sure what to get. My budget is very limited so I will be going used, I can spend like $450. I play mostly rock stuff, but I want some usable gain at bedroom volumes. I used to have a Blackstar HT1 combo and loved it, but it definitely didn't have the gain I was after.

I am sort of looking at a Randall RD1H because it seems to have decent gain, but not sure how it is with non metal sounds. . .

Other suggestions?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

domsch1988

Reaction score
Some Ideas:
I had a Orange Dark Terror, was really great. No real clean, but great rythm and lead. Not really quiet, but doable in bedroom volumes.
Yamaha THR line. Most seem to love it. I haven't tried one yet, but they are very well reviewed.
If it where my 450$ id go pod or gsp1101. Both are neither lunchbox nor amp, but for me it's the best bang for buck when playing live is not needed...

Wolfhorsky

Regular idiot
Reaction score
I had bad luck with 5150 lbx, but Dark Terror is fine. U can set it clean-ish or on the edge of breakup and then put distortion pedal in front of it. Mine works really WELL with AMT D2 or Tech21 RK5. By itself it can go to ultra hi gain.

Asphyxia

Reaction score
The diavlo is awesome. You could also consider the Hotone heart attack.
Some people consider it a novelty thing. Honestly though it is an awesome little bedroom metal amp.

Asphyxia

Reaction score
What's wrong with the 6505 mini? The reviews seem good

I personally made a thread about how craptastic my experience with it was. Peavey themselves admit it is a flawed design but blame the user. Someone else posted the email peavey sent them.
If your ever considering one search those threads and read about it.

zipline7020

Reaction score
Dang. I played one in a store and it seemed really fun. That sucks.

Guess I have to save up for a full size if I want the sound

wakjob

Reaction score
I think you'd really like the Randall Diavlo series. I have the RD1H and love it.

I also have the Yamaha THR10X, and that's pretty killer too! Both great bedroom amps.

MoshJosh

Reaction score
Sorry guys ended up jumping on a HK Tubemiester 5. Still need a 1 12 cabinet though??? Gotta be like 150-200 bucks max.

zipline7020

Reaction score
I have a VHT special 6 112

Great cab. Got it used for 89 dollars but runs new for about 160.

It's a custom VHT speaker that's British voiced with a modern flavor. I like it a lot for the bedroom broots

')