What music do kids like today?

• Thread starter Jacksonluvr636
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

protest

Reaction score
What's the cut off for "old" and "kid" on this site? :scratch:

If you're Saturday consists of waking up at 2 in the afternoon and finishing the open beer that's next to you on the floor, then you're still a kid.

If it consists of waking up at 7:30 in the morning, so you can get to Home Depot early because you have to scrub black mold out of your basement floor, then you're old.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
Ahh... So somewhere in the middle... :lol:

I rotate a lot...

Deftones
Steve Vai
Afro Cuban All stars
Celia Cruz
Stan Gets
Coltrane
Paul Desmond
Freddie Hubbard
Wynton Marsalis
Jason Marsalis
Wu-Tang
Hieroglyphics
Cannibal Ox
Gangstarr
Dilated Peoples
Digable Planets
Planet Asia
Cannibal Corpse
Death
Opeth
Naglfar
Nevermore
DragonForce
Paul Gilbert
Racer X
Meshuggag
Three 6 Mafia
A Tribe Called Quest
Andy Timmons
Bela Fleck and the Flecktones
Marcus Miller
Jack Pastorius
Toots Thielemans
Gary Willis
Allan Holdsworth
Soft machine
Korn
Dimmu Borgir
Spawn of Possession
Vital Remains
Decapitated
Arsis
Arch Enemy
Night wish
Kamelot
Frederic Chopin
King Crimson
Bob Marley
SOJA
Midnite
Buju Banton
Black Uhuru
Turbulence
Pressure
Collie Buddz
Joe Budden...

Etc...

Definitely not all metal... But that's no reason to force shit together for the sake of being different. :2c:

blaaargh

Git Fuuuuuuuuuuucked
Reaction score
If you're Saturday consists of waking up at 2 in the afternoon and finishing the open beer that's next to you on the floor, then you're still a kid.

If it consists of waking up at 7:30 in the morning, so you can get to Home Depot early because you have to scrub black mold out of your basement floor, then you're old.

guess I'm a kid then haha. I'm far from representative tho... I listen to everything from 2 Chainz to Merzbow. as for what Kids These Days are into, it depends on the scene - typical college bros listen to top 40 rap, altho chill ambient stuff seems to be popular in my town (Odesza, Tycho etc) which is p cool. All the former scene kids are jocking Real Hardcore now which I can def get down with. One of the biggest recent shows for hardcore kids in my area was that Thou/The Body collab tour... go figure. I live in the home base of the tr00wave tho, so I guess it makes sense that people would turn out for a ....ing Appalachian Terror Unit show (which was awesome, but man... that place reeeeeeked of natty dreads)

Speedos

Reaction score
i'm 18. usually what my friends listen to are genres that stick around to pop/dubstep and all that glittery happy music. i am unfortunate and sad enough to say that i am the only one in my school and high school that listens to metal; there are a few that listen to metallica, acdc and so on , but no one is into the more aggressive genres ( and on my part , i am not into the "soft" ones like the above)

what saddens me the most is that sometimes they bash my music , as in i want to show a more brutal song to a good friend on the computer at school and the others start going " turn that satanic shit down , no one wants to hear a guy puking his lungs out "

and then they just make me move from the computer and they put one of their dubstep songs. They also view me as a dude who only listens to metal, and when i listen to something else they are really surprised ( as in " i didn't know this guy that listens to psycho music also listens to blues). And truth be told , i believe that i have more diversity/versatility in music than all of them ; and the fact that they stick a stereotype like that on me is so awful ( more in detail to what i listen below) .

partially off topic experience : something else that also happened to me was when i was in the school band. As i mentioned before , no one listens to the aggressive genres that i listen to; and so each song that we played in the band were pop rock or whatever you call that ("seven nation army" as an example) , despite the fact that they said that we can all propose a song and do it ; and so i did ,no one listened to me , and when i left the band they asked me why and i said because i didn't like what we played and no one bothered playing one of "my" songs. They came with excuses like "we need to play something that will also appeal to the crowd " and all that crap( even though i proposed songs that were "soft" and from other genres, but yeah..) ( the crowd being the school kids , as they only had one concert with me in the band and that was at a school ceremony/festival). I can't particularly say that i despised nor liked their songs, but i respected their wishes about what they wanted to play , and i expected the same from them . Therefore with even more disgust i left.

(if you are interested , i was playing bass , even though what i usually play at home is guitar ... and i am not that good either , probably mediocre at best , because i can't stand my current guitar which is a pile of sh*t : bent neck, broken pickups(they sound TOO crisp , don't know what the heck is up with them) , grounding problems ...but i got what i payed for , 300$ on a crap chinese starters edition signature guitar (i was a noob back then, so i didn't knew what i was buying))
And so now i am waiting for a custom 8 string from RAN, which i hope that when i look at it each time i will get the urge to play it and get better. i like music too much , i hope the investment is worth it.

damn i am ranting too much and going off course, need to get back to the question. So, what i listen to these days :
Doom metal ( ex. Isole) ,

progressive metal/progressive rock/djent ( vildhjarta , tesseract , tool , a perfect circle , a bit of Opeth, and MANY more) ,

ambiental/mood genre( dark/sad songs , ambiental with spanish guitar influences ( Estas Tonne , this dude has some amazing songs ,one of my fav guitar players , check him out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMpxXqE2RKA), band example : Subheim etc. )

gothic metal ( not so much nowadays , but i used to listen all day long to Paradise Lost , such an amazing band ) ,

deathcore/technical deathcore ( Aversions Crown, The Acacia Strain, Depths, etc)

experimental/math metal ( nemertines )

dark/gothic/alternative/depressive metal combined( katatonia ) ,

post metal ( Pelican )

post rock ( if these trees could talk , sleep dealer )

Blues ( no favorite band or guitar player , i just like melodic and tasty riffs and licks)

a bit of power metal ( Blind Guardian , Iced Earth)

orchestral music ( as in the music in LOTR by Howard shore , Two Steps from Hell , the music in Naruto Shippuden etc.)

a bit of classical music( the sad songs , ex. "Act One - Ab Imo Pectore (Jamie K)" which is this song "Chopin - Nocturne in b-flat minor, Op. 9 No. 1" with voice over)

electronic rock/metal industrial metal ( Celldweller, voicians )

a bit of death metal ( Septic Flesh )

used to listen to heavy metal , but not so much today ( Judas Priest )

and a bit of alternative rock

and this is a list with genres to which i listen from time to time, depending on the mood: hip hop/rap beats , jazz, reggae , alternative/pop/ music , house, dance/trance, minimal , trap , electronic, nu jazz, soul , shoegaze , and mostly songs that remind me of my childhood , childhood meaning , as an example , when i was 4 years old ( in 2000 ) and i was going to the beach with my parents and i kept hearing this song ATB - 9PM (till i come) ( club mix) which i absolutely enjoyed listening to , never got bored of it.

and now my favorite song to which i have listened to over 10000 times ( seriously , over 10000 times, i had it counted ) : Ballet imperial - imperia ( a beautiful, relaxing "dark" alternative rock song ) which i heard of back when i was watching h2o just add water ( yea, i was younger and everything was filmed in Australia , which i freakin love and i haven't even been there yet ...can't wait to! ) (2 of the guys from that show play in this band)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iY1d44YuadU

quite a long answer , so sorry about that :)

HurrDurr

Lord of all Things
Reaction score
I've taken a different road when it comes to music. When I first ever got into music in late elementary (11/12 years old) I was crazy about the classic Prog Rock stuff my dad was into. As I got older, I got into old-school 80's~90's Black/Thrash/Death metal and later 'Nu-Thrash' or 'New Wave Thrash' in my tweens. Late teens saw me get back into classic Prog Rock, which led me into more modern Prog Metal, Tech-Death, Deathcore, etc. Then... suddenly metal just hasn't really done it for me lately. I've gotten deep into things I'd never even considered like Jazz, Shoegaze, Alternative/Grungy stuff, newer 'radio rap' that most think is utter garbage (and I completely agree, but I like it). I'm HEAVILY into the Post-Rock/Stoner and Post-Punk/Shoegaze mashups we've seen pop up now-a-days and I don't think I've ever been happier. I went from flaring out blast beats and abusing china's to playing chords on acoustics and Jazzmasters and I've never felt better.

JeffFromMtl

Уродливый, но честны
Reaction score
I just graduated from University, over-aged by some margin at 26 since I started late at 21 and worked full-time while I studied. That said, my "peers" (generally in the 20-23 year old range) in the arts programs were generally hipsters from white middle-class families and listened to rap/hip-hop either ironically (Wu-Tang, mostly) or because it's what's edgy now (Odd Future, Kendrick Lamar), or anything indie pop cuz that's just what "arts kids" like by default. Pretty much all the girls also listen to Beyoncé, citing her as a role model, admiring her and Jay-Z as the power couple supreme while wallowing in their own facelessness and complete and utter lack of ambition.

NickS

New solution, problem changed
Reaction score
I just heard that this apparently exists the other day. Prepare your ears. It makes me glad I'm out of touch.

It is every element I hate about modern music wrapped in one. It's almost impressive. This is just my opinion though.

:deadhrse::deadhrse:

I have seen this posted on SSO a couple times before, and I can't believe it is real every time:noway::noway::noway::noway::noway:

I kind of want to kill you for posting it.

Just kidding.

Kind of.

Emperor Guillotine

The Almighty Ruler
Reaction score
I just graduated from University, over-aged by some margin at 26 since I started late at 21 and worked full-time while I studied. That said, my "peers" (generally in the 20-23 year old range) in the arts programs were generally hipsters from white middle-class families and listened to rap/hip-hop either ironically (Wu-Tang, mostly) or because it's what's edgy now (Odd Future, Kendrick Lamar), or anything indie pop cuz that's just what "arts kids" like by default. Pretty much all the girls also listen to Beyoncé, citing her as a role model, admiring her and Jay-Z as the power couple supreme while wallowing in their own facelessness and complete and utter lack of ambition.
^ THIS. ^ THIS. ^ THIS.

Narrillnezzurh

Sir Clipsalot
Reaction score
Speaking as a 19-year-old, I'll generally listen to anything. I'm partial to things that are well put together or have some sort of shock value, particularly with regards to production.

chickenxnuggetz91

What kind of sauce?
Reaction score
Don't worry about what others are into these days. Like what you like. I discover 20 new bands a day. Most I do not care for. There is too much music out there. You can do what my friend does and make it a treasure hunt. Listen to something new everytime, remembering bands for their album art and just getting really good at remembering useless information about a certain niche in music....or you can listen to what you actually like and know what you like......or you can be one of those people who still believes he likes metal, but is so burned out he really doesn't enjoy anything anymore. Small doses is key I think. Too much out there to listen to everything all the time. It's impossible to discover all of it.

chickenxnuggetz91

What kind of sauce?
Reaction score
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yj1YiefzpRI

I think this summarizes contemporary metal in a nutshell if you must know. It holds somewhat shreddy stuff, metalcore/deathcore breakdowns, djent, cleans, growls pretty electronic backing track.....

Not my favorite.....for some reason the chorus throws me off......Hot Topic core.....on a side note...I actually did visit a hot topic that I actually liked the other day. Very classic...good tunes. I hope it was catering to that niche instead of classic being the next month's trend.

IanCBoss

Reaction score
I see that Falling In Reverse is mentioned here. Its really unfortunate that their singer is such an egomaniac because their guitarist, Jacky Vincent, is one hell of a talented guitarist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2Lq_HJ6FyI
Here's a little bit of him playing. He's no Tosin Abasi by any means as far as creativity goes but he is somewhere between a generic 80's hair metal player and Yngwie Malmsteen. Its really unfortunate because the singer makes it all about him and covers up the band behind him with his pitiful raps and electronic beats.

crg123

SS.orgLocalArchitect
Reaction score
Lol I'm always told by my peers "why do you listen to such angry music I only listen to happy things..." Anyone else encounter this? I mean aggression in music actually calms me. I think that's typical of most extreme metal listeners.

Im curious what you think?

chickenxnuggetz91

What kind of sauce?
Reaction score
Lol I'm always told by my peers "why do you listen to such angry music I only listen to happy things..." Anyone else encounter this? I mean aggression in music actually calms me. I think that's typical of most extreme metal listeners.

Im curious what you think?

I kinda get you. Some of them actually listen to decent music. However, when the main part of your favorite song goes "Ok, now fvck my shit, fvck my shit" in a lazy voice with no effort....I feel their argument is invalid.

:rolleyes:

Forkface

Feast on this.
Reaction score
STORY TIME:
I am a part time Physics TA at the university i study. Most of the students are total douchebags but some of them are nice. Anyway, one day I'm waiting at the bus stop and one of the nice guys from the class sees me and stops.
"do you need a ride? where do you live?" -just up here...
"hop on!"
now this kid looks young, like, too-young-for-college young. I asked him how old he was
"im 17, i finished highschool early" (or some shit about credits, idk)

anyway, conversation slows down and I hear a faint trumpet coming from the stereo.
I increased the volume without even asking him...
Miles motherfving Davis.
Kid 17 years old, listening to Miles Davis. and not like, the NPR or something. He actually had a Miles Davis CD rolling. I just sat there in awe.

He singlehandedly restored my hopes for the younger generation :)

now, i dunno how many kids listen to good music, but even if its 1 in 100, at least there are some :lol:

Veldar

Is Post-Thrash?
Reaction score
A really long post goes in here.

I find it funny that metal fans are either really close minded or really open minded, you, I and most of the people on these forums are the latter but it seems that the idiots that are like "SLAYER ....ING RULES DEATH TO POSERS" keep giving us a bad rep.

And even though I have friends that like heavy music no one really digs prog or post stuff, I've had a posters up to get members for a post-metal/rock band for more than a month and still haven't gotten a reply.

Dr Zoidberg

Why not Zoidberg?
Reaction score
I'm 17, so I guess I'm technically a "kid". I'll listen to rock, metal, punk, electronic, classical, jazz, and especially any weird combination of those genres. Anything from Chopin to Cannibal Corpse, and from Sum 41 to Skrillex. Been trying to get into hip-hop, but haven't been able to find much I like in the genre yet. Currently, my favorite band is Diablo Swing Orchestra. I think it'd be awfully boring to listen to one genre of music all the time, so I try to diversify as much as possible. I think there are examples of good music found in every genre. Still, metal and progressive rock take up the biggest portion of my listening.

Most people I meet are into Top 40 stuff, but there are definitely groups that are into the whole hot-topic-core thing. What's interesting to me is how social groups tend to be divided along musical lines in high school. It makes me wonder if people belong to a social group because they choose to listen to a certain type of music, or vice versa. I suspect that to many people my age, music is a social catalyst more than an art form.

I'd also like to make the point that this is nothing new. Disco was far more popular than Led Zeppelin in the 70s, but Led Zeppelin survived and disco didn't because the people that listen to music for social reasons eventually move on, while the people who view music as art tend to preserve it. Each generation, crap music gets made and becomes popular, but eventually dies as the great music of the generation survives. I believe this is why so many people think music was better in the past - they're comparing yesterday's greats to today's garbage.

With the internet making music much easier to distribute, I think there's actually more great music available today than ever before. Problem is, there's also much more crap to sift through to find it.

chickenxnuggetz91

What kind of sauce?
Reaction score
I'm 17, so I guess I'm technically a "kid". I'll listen to rock, metal, punk, electronic, classical, jazz, and especially any weird combination of those genres. Anything from Chopin to Cannibal Corpse, and from Sum 41 to Skrillex. Been trying to get into hip-hop, but haven't been able to find much I like in the genre yet. Currently, my favorite band is Diablo Swing Orchestra. I think it'd be awfully boring to listen to one genre of music all the time, so I try to diversify as much as possible. I think there are examples of good music found in every genre. Still, metal and progressive rock take up the biggest portion of my listening.

Most people I meet are into Top 40 stuff, but there are definitely groups that are into the whole hot-topic-core thing. What's interesting to me is how social groups tend to be divided along musical lines in high school. It makes me wonder if people belong to a social group because they choose to listen to a certain type of music, or vice versa. I suspect that to many people my age, music is a social catalyst more than an art form.

I'd also like to make the point that this is nothing new. Disco was far more popular than Led Zeppelin in the 70s, but Led Zeppelin survived and disco didn't because the people that listen to music for social reasons eventually move on, while the people who view music as art tend to preserve it. Each generation, crap music gets made and becomes popular, but eventually dies as the great music of the generation survives. I believe this is why so many people think music was better in the past - they're comparing yesterday's greats to today's garbage.

With the internet making music much easier to distribute, I think there's actually more great music available today than ever before. Problem is, there's also much more crap to sift through to find it.

Probably the smartest "kid" in regards to art and/or music. Also, for hip-hop try Aesop Rock's Skelethon Album. If you want more hip hop recomendations or to just discover a new album on a day to day basis...just watch the needle drop on YouTube.

')