What new sevenstring to buy?

Straponjones

Reaction score
Hi there!

New to this (glorious) forum and this is my first post! I'm in the market to buy a new sevenstring for, give or take, 1600euro's (1750 USD). The thing is, I need a fixed bridge with a minumum scale of 26,5 that does not look like the very standard.

I always wanted to own a Ibanez Prestige with some Bare Knuckle Pickups but a Floyd Rose is just a no-go. That narrows the Ibanez collection to just 1 guitar: the RGD2127FX, in combination with some Bare Knuckle Juggernauts.

What are your opinions/suggestions?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Straponjones

Reaction score
It's a little above your price but it fits the bill of what you're looking for: RGD Uppercut

Hey thanks. I've looked into it but it's almost identical to the RGD2127fx. It uses different wood and it already has BKP's but not the ones I want.

Is it really worth the price difference compared to the RGD2127fx?

theicon2125

Reaction score
Hey thanks. I've looked into it but it's almost identical to the RGD2127fx. It uses different wood and it already has BKP's but not the ones I want.

It's definitely worth a little more at least in my eyes because of the ebony fretboard and locking tuners. Throw in a ~$350 set of pickups and I'd say that it's worth it. The only thing that would make me second guess that guitar (other than that for another $1000 I could get a Misha sig) is that the finish is apparently crappy. Someone posted a NGD last week and got chips on the finish from looping the cable around the strap. But if they aren't the pickups you want then it may not be worth it to you. In my opinion you shouldn't settle when it comes to guitars because you'll just regret it.

Straponjones

Reaction score
It's definitely worth a little more at least in my eyes because of the ebony fretboard and locking tuners. Throw in a ~$350 set of pickups and I'd say that it's worth it. The only thing that would make me second guess that guitar (other than that for another $1000 I could get a Misha sig) is that the finish is apparently crappy. Someone posted a NGD last week and got chips on the finish from looping the cable around the strap.

Yeah I just was that post. Kinda weird for a 2000eu guitar... Might as well sandpaper and paint it but I'm afraid it would affect tone...

Did some research on rosewood vs ebony fretboards. Ebony tends to be brighter and more clear but is it really that good? And is 700eu extra for some pickups I'll have to swap (and add another 340eu on top) and a (slightly) better fretboard worth it?

theicon2125

Reaction score
Yeah I just was that post. Kinda weird for a 2000eu guitar... Might as well sandpaper and paint it but I'm afraid it would affect tone...

Did some research on rosewood vs ebony fretboards. Ebony tends to be brighter and more clear but is it really that good? And is 700eu extra for some pickups I'll have to swap (and add another 340eu on top) and a (slightly) better fretboard worth it?

If you would just swap the Aftermaths then there's no reason to go with the more expensive guitar. Locking tuners are an easy aftermarket upgrade and the fretboard isn't a huge deal. Half the reason I like ebony is because of how it looks. Like I said, if I were going to spend big money on a guitar I'd be getting a Jackson Juggernaut.

Straponjones

Reaction score
If you would just swap the Aftermaths then there's no reason to go with the more expensive guitar. Locking tuners are an easy aftermarket upgrade and the fretboard isn't a huge deal. Half the reason I like ebony is because of how it looks. Like I said, if I were going to spend big money on a guitar I'd be getting a Jackson Juggernaut.

Since 1600 is my budget I think I'll be going for the 2127fx + Juggernauts since the 7UC isn't that mutch better indeed.

Or someone else needs to come up with a different guitar?

Nlelith

Motion Designer
Reaction score
A lot of Schecter 7-strings match your demands.
Some ESP/LTD 2016 7-strings will have 26.5" scale, so they are an option too.
Not sure if they will be in your price range with all the taxes/shipping, but you might be also interested in Kiesel guitars.

theicon2125

Reaction score
Not sure if they will be in your price range with all the taxes/shipping, but you might be also interested in Kiesel guitars.

I second this. I have a Schecter (second one I've owned) and I love it. I've never played an Ibanez Prestige so I can't speak to the quality difference but I haven't had any quality issues with either of my Schecters. Like Nlelith said ESP/LTD is coming out with some guitars that fit your bill. I just recommended the Ibanez because you mentioned wanting a Prestige. The new LTD Zach Household sig is going to be my next guitar. If you like single cuts then that's worth checking out, but Alex Wade's new sig may also be up your alley if you like super strats.

qhzHW8b.jpg

Straponjones

Reaction score

I second this. I have a Schecter (second one I've owned) and I love it. I've never played an Ibanez Prestige so I can't speak to the quality difference but I haven't had any quality issues with either of my Schecters. Like Nlelith said ESP/LTD is coming out with some guitars that fit your bill. I just recommended the Ibanez because you mentioned wanting a Prestige. The new LTD Zach Household sig is going to be my next guitar. If you like single cuts then that's worth checking out, but Alex Wade's new sig may also be up your alley if you like super strats.

Hey guys thanks for the replies! I do have to say there is a noticible quality difference between Ibanez Prestige and LTD/Schecter. Could be personal preference though. A real ESP could be an exception but those are rare here (Holland) at the moment.

On a sidenote, Alex Wade's telecaster signature was more my thing than the strat.

s2k9k

Reaction score

I'd say it's not worth it... Unless you're gonna put those Locking tuners on it (which definitely make a nice difference) and BKP pups. Then maybe it is. That ebony board is cool too.

Spicypickles

Sweeps & Mops
Reaction score
Not worth it.

Locking tuner upgrades are cheap as balls and if you go used - same for pickups. You'd essentially be shelling out a ton for an eboner board.