What new sound/genre is next for metal?

• Thread starter Sdrizis89
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Sdrizis89

Reaction score
Lately I've found myself sort of bored with new music. Occasionally I'll stumble upon something fresh that I love (ex: Caligula's Horse) but haven't really seen anything completely new to metal that hasn't been explored before. We've had nu-metal, metalcore, deathcore, djent, instrumental bands becoming more popular (polyphia, chon, etc) and many other sub-genres in between...what's next? What new unexplored direction do you see metal going in? Tough question to answer because if we knew the answer we'd be pioneering a new genre already lol. Curious to hear everyone's thoughts on where you feel metal is going in terms of style/new sub-genre. Where are the genre defining bands like meshuggah and periphery were for djent?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Sklenar

Reaction score
I´m afraid, metal is in a blind valley. Many current bands sound and play similar. I think, there´s a problem, that majority of contemporary musicians is inspired only by modern music, modern bands, which is at the end of development branch. They want to play like bands they know and music or genre development isn´t in their minds. People should find inspiration in some older stuff and try to find brand new directions in music.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
We've had these discussions before and usually the opinions break down into a few camps, with the loudest camp being the "metal is dead camp." Another camp is the "it goes in cycles" camp, pointing out that djent is the reincarnation of a previous genre, and what came before was a reincarnation of a different previous genre, so that stoner/sludge will be the next big thing.

Me, I like all sorts of metal, and my favourite bands are usually unpopular at the times I like them most. I do think that metal is going to become more and more a niche market, but will still play a role as an influence on other genres. As that occurs, subgenres will mean less and less, and individual influential bands will become more and more segregated. But that's just my guess.

Ebony

Signal purist
Reaction score
What's next for metal? Hopefully, more great, inventive composers that spit in the face of ridicule, conformity, mediocrity and trends. What sub-genre, or just genre for that matter, they operate in is of less importance to me.

KnightBrolaire

Meth Detal
Reaction score
I hope proggier sludge/doom like Serial Hawk, Pallbearer and Dreadnought is the next big thing. Pallbearer is killing it with their last couple of records. That or I hope country metal takes off. Imagine Brad Paisley chicken pickin with John 5- that would be insanity :D

gunch

goof-ass
Reaction score
I want to see more bands like deafheaven and oathbreaker tee bee aytch

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score
In all seriousness, this is coming.
it already did. Nickelback sold 50,000,000+ albums doing it

Hopefully a return of strong melodies/songs, and not just note salad.
I remember thinking Sikth was great but 10+ years of bands ripping them off has, for the first time in my life, retroactively ruined something for me

gunch

goof-ass
Reaction score
it already did. Nickelback sold 50,000,000+ albums doing it

I remember thinking Sikth was great but 10+ years of bands ripping them off has, for the first time in my life, retroactively ruined something for me

I was listening to How May I Help You? the other day and damn does it still rip, Sikth was pretty cool as metal-core + mr. bungle

Alternative-Perspective

Reaction score
Many current bands sound and play similar. I.

I call it the Ibanez+Fractal+SD+Mansoor effect.

I'd like to see more metal with ethnic influences...imagine a prog metal band with rhythms like Ill Nino had. Myrath used to do that but these days they are less progressive than before, it seems.

AdamMaz

Reaction score
I'm surprised a fusion with electronic music hasn't blown up yet, House/Nu Metal or something along those lines.

KnightBrolaire

Meth Detal
Reaction score
I call it the Ibanez+Fractal+SD+Mansoor effect.

I'd like to see more metal with ethnic influences...imagine a prog metal band with rhythms like Ill Nino had. Myrath used to do that but these days they are less progressive than before, it seems.
12 foot ninja is the only prog band besides mahavishnu orchestrs or mute the saint where they use ethnic sounds/rhythms. At least, those are the only ones I can remember off the top of my head.

Unleash The Fury

Reaction score
I dont know whats next for metal but whenever it is will be a fad and soon enough thrown in the hamper. Then 10 years later someone will say remember when "this" was big just 10 years ago?

Or i could be wrong. It could have major staying power. (What do you guys think of prog/djent, does it have staying power or is it dying/dead?)

')