What pedals to get

• Thread starter ApperceptionDerp
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey just starting to buy better gear, I just purchased an Orange 2x12 cab and a Mesa Dual Rectifier. But i dont know what pedals to get. I already have a boss metal zone and im about to buy a ISP Desomater. What are some other things I can get? And whats a good reverb pedal?

I play Tech/Prog/djenty death metal and combine abit of jazz fusion and world music if that gives you any ideas of what sound im going for. Please help thanks. :hbang::hbang::hbang:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ishan

Giant Fridge Magnet
Contributor
Reaction score
Sell the MT-2 and get yourself a good TS-9/808 clone. A compressor could help fight the Decimator too.

Reaction score
yeh I was thinking of getting one of those tube screamers instead MT-2, cool. Also im really hopeless with gear so do you know what is a reasonable compressor to get? I think ill have around $800 AUS to spend on pedals all together. cheers dude
:yesway:

Sepultorture

Murder Machine
Reaction score
yeh I was thinking of getting one of those tube screamers instead MT-2, cool. Also im really hopeless with gear so do you know what is a reasonable compressor to get? I think ill have around $800 AUS to spend on pedals all together. cheers dude
:yesway:

I'D ONLY EVER RECOMEND THE KEELEY COMPRESSOR

damn caps

anywho yeah keeley compressor, does wonders for tightneing up guitars, again good idea on the gate, if you want a stock pedal for boosting the front end look into the new green rhino, it's a tube screamer with more options available too you, like more and less bass cut.

also look into Keeley's modded overdrives and his metal zone mod too, just incase

Reaction score
Haha dw caps shows dedication, yeh that seems ideal, checking out some keeley stuff on ebay cheers dude. Big difference between 2 knob and 4?

Sepultorture

Murder Machine
Reaction score
Haha dw caps shows dedication, yeh that seems ideal, checking out some keeley stuff on ebay cheers dude. Big difference between 2 knob and 4?

no, same pedal practically, just two of the knobs are now technically located inside the pedal on the two knob version, so still in essence a 4 knob

Garremony

Reaction score
I'm a big fan of using an MXR 10 band to tailor my sound a bit beyond what my amp can do. And a TS-9 is my standard boost. While I don't often use reverb, I do enjoy my DD-20 delay. But if that's a bit pricey, I've had some good experience playing with my friend's Digitech Hardwire Delay.

Also, the Decimator is amazing!

Greatoliver

Looking to windward
Reaction score
An overdrive would help, as said above - if you search around on here you'll get an idea of the best rated.

None of the genres need anything more, but you may want some more pedals to add flavour. Reverb and delay are great effects imo, but you may also want to look into chorus pedals for the jazz fusion. An EQ pedal will help sculpt your sound more, but is not essential.

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
808 as said above is an awsome overdrive for boosting. However, if your using an emg81 bridge pickup, which already interjects some compression, then you might prefer an OD9 pro+ maxon. It can be set to run at 9/18v and has a higher output signal either way. I find it more tweekable and useful in more ways.

I only like my 808 set as a booster with gain down and level up, then I reduce my amps gain signifigantly.

With the pro+, I like it set as a cleaner/louder booster (at 18v) with my amps gain at mid-high settings. I also like to engage the midboost and tweek the overdrive a hair with my amps gain down a bit.

Can't go wrong either way.

Ishan

Giant Fridge Magnet
Contributor
Reaction score
Common chain of effects/amp around here :
compressor -> gate -> TS clone -> amp in

I'd suggest you get an ISP Decimator Gstring so you can go :
comp -> ISP in -> ISP loop send -> ts clone -> amp in -> amp loop send -> ISP loop return -> ISP out -> delay/chorus/Reverb/etc -> amp loop return

That way all the noisy part get cleaned up and everything is kept super tight for math/start/stop stuffs :D

xtacles

boosh
Reaction score
I actually like the bass cut. The high/bass cut is an important aspect to Tubescreamers, as it really tightens up your sound. However, it's not for everyone but really works for agressive sounds.

Many people don't realize that for some reason- the point of boosting the amp is to cut the bass and 'tighten' things up.

I'd also suggest a clean boost- the Jack Orman kits are great.

flexkill

Vodka & PentaTonic
Reaction score
I actually like the bass cut. The high/bass cut is an important aspect to Tubescreamers, as it really tightens up your sound. However, it's not for everyone but really works for agressive sounds.

True, but i like to have total control....the bass you lose through boost is never quite the same if it needs to be added back by EQ...but I find you can always take away what you want and it's fine. just my opinion.

Nesty

Reaction score
MXR 10 band EQ to take full control of your tonal capabilities.

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
True, but i like to have total control....the bass you lose through boost is never quite the same if it needs to be added back by EQ...but I find you can always take away what you want and it's fine. just my opinion.

If you are going through the habit of boosting, you are probably in a band or recording, in which case you will be with bass or tracking bass, so you don't need that 'bass' on your guitar at all, as you will carve it out in a good mix to make room for the bass anyway. :lol:

The low cut is awesome stuff not only for tightening but for band dynamics.

Apper how much you looking to spend on a reverb?

adadglgmut

Notes from a Ghost
Reaction score
Can someone recommend a re-verb pedal, thats something I absolutely want to get. please and thank you

One of my favorite reverb pedals at the moment is the malekko spring chicken. It does stock spring sound and has WORLDS of cool tweaking sounds. If you're interested in something a little bit different, the EHX holy grail has a few cool sounding modes.

Honestly, if you're looking at reverbs check out Reverb Pedals. IMHO, PGS is the ultimate resource for guitar effects. Most have video demos of the pedals as well. If pedals are what you're after, I'd check them out!

grogarage

stay metal
Reaction score
i so agree with SirMyghin, In a band context the boost is a big plus, yesterday a freind give me to try a BB preamp pedal, the red one 4 knobs, this thing is super cool you can use it as a clean boost and on a clean chanel use it as a dirtbox , it doesnt have as much gain as my maxon 808 but it can do more outside of a metal kind of sound, loved it

as for reverb, i'm no expert, i have it on my amp

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
gain low = keeping the ISP low too :yesway:

I don't think you need any more pedals except a good tuner. There's many to choose from (EHX, Korg, Boss, Peterson)

')