What pick(s) do you use?

• Thread starter BoredomKills
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jarnozz

Let´s Get Wasted!
Reaction score
These!
picture0031g.jpg

and some intune6p 1mm scale the summit signature pics

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

wookie606

Telecaster Fetish
Reaction score
Tortex Blue.
Have always used them and they work perfect for me.
I like Jazz III but I just can not get used to them for metal.

Maniacal

Reaction score
Looks like I have finally found my ultimate pick, the dunlop stubby 1mm. Ideal for everything. I have used jazz iiis for a long time but only able to use them well for riffing. The stubby on the other hand is ideal for funk, jazz, lead, riffing. Everything basically.

I have spent a lot of money on picks over the years, looks like I have at last found the right pick for me. Only took 11 years!

Ikiharmaa

It's all white.
Reaction score
I've been trying out all the regular jazz (red) and black, tortex jazz (wasn't aware this was only .50) and ultex jazz today. I even tried recording some riffs with all of them to further inspect their sonic qualities ;D

so yea, looks like I'll be using the ultex for now, regular black as a backup. The tiny bit clarity the ultex brings is nice with a seven, though I miss the crunchyness/mid thump. I still don't quite feel the ultex the way I feel the regular jazz, but I guess I just gotta play more to catch on.

Stubbies aren't for me.. The thickest is good for noodling those mellow jazzy leads and softer stuff where you want lots of nuances in general, but I can't find much use for them when playing with high gain.

Ami

Reaction score
Jazz III's but when I have the dolla, some nice Red Bears are worth it, if you can hold on to a pick that pricey.

Underworld

Reaction score
Gravity picks Razor standard 1.5mm - simple the best for me, for everything from accoustic strumming, to soloing and metal riffing.

MrPowers

Reaction score
I pretty much play anything but my preferences are the Dunlop Tortex .73mm (yellow) and the Dunlop Nylon 1.0mm (black ones). This thread has really got me thinking and wanting to try some new ones though.

vstealth

Reaction score
Although I have gotten so used to the jazz III max grip, I picked up a few of these as I was at the shops today buying a stand. The feel similar to the jazz III but thinner and I found I was more consistently hitting pinch harmonics with them then I could do with a jazz III, also felt a bit better to use when strumming. Still have to decide which I like best.

dunlop-tortex-pitch-black-standard-0.88mm_m.jpg

dizzy

n_n
Reaction score
Pickboy carbon nylon 0.88mm plectrums for me. Similar to the Dunlop Jazz IIIs but I find them a lot more grippy which means I drop them less often.

Used the yellow Tortex picks for years but I swear my skin corroded them or something. Got through loads of them until my better half found an old Pickboy one in with a load of her sheet music and suggested I give it a try. Used them ever since.

CM_X5

Reaction score
Been using either the Dunlop Stubby 3.0mm a lot lately.

Next time I have enough I'll be looking into ......... picks. Anyone have or tried one of these?

MetalBuddah

0000 00 0 0 00 000
Reaction score
Now playing .50mm Tortex III
JD_Tortex_III_002_standard.jpg

I like the extra give from the picks and they have really cleaned up my playing and technique

Webmaestro

Ibanez Fanatic
Reaction score
I tried the Petrucci Jazz III's recently and, while they are very nice picks, they're too small for me. Most Jazz-style picks are too small, despite being shaped perfectly.

Just ordered some Jazz III XL's, so hopefully those will give me a little more to hang onto.

Olin

Reaction score
First post, hi.
I was using Gravity picks for a while, 3mm thick, but I couldn't afford £5 per pick so went back to Dunlop heavy 1.5s with grip. Nice and thick, cheap, last a good amount of time and very tactile.

Rypac

Reaction score
i changed to these recently and like them. Regular picks feel like im playing with a boat oar now

So true. Since using Jazz III's for the last 6 months or so, I wonder how I ever played with the purple Dunlop Tortex picks for all those years.

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
So true. Since using Jazz III's for the last 6 months or so, I wonder how I ever played with the purple Dunlop Tortex picks for all those years.

Yup, exactly. I liken it to playing with one of those triangle bass picks. Even playing bass with a tortex regular size feels huge now. Still can't imagine using the little jazz picks for bass though.

')