What pick(s) do you use?

• Thread starter BoredomKills
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Big Muff Pi

Reaction score
I got a v-pick stiletto the other day, it felt a little weird and scratchy as it was unbuffed, but I think that with some more playing, the strings will smooth out the edges. Other than that it played great, really accurate, great for sweeps. Sucks that I misplaced mine yesterday and I still can't find it cause it's so hard to see, i guess that's the downside to translucent picks :lol:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Santuzzo

Reaction score
Right now for me it's these:
51SAcKDF1DL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

and these:

77538192-260x260-0-0_Dunlop+Dunlop+Tortex+Black+Gold+Jazz+1+14+6P.jpg

I also like the yellow Ultex jazzIII and I can't wait to get some of the new Petrucci jazz sig. picks to try.

I keep trying new picks, but I always seem to go back to tortex jazzIII's.

Dunloper

Reaction score
Check out Dava picks. I saw a few people recommend them on here and the picks do not disappoint. :yesway:

Robby the Robot

The President Bits
Reaction score
I'm willing to take the risk. :p

The Ultex Sharps are close to what I'm looking for, but they're a bit too thin. I'm either gonna go for the J3XL or the thicker Ultex Sharp.

I say go for it. :yesway: They aren't bad picks, they just don't have the same feel as the regular Jazz III's.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Well after hearing about the Petrucci Jazz 3's, they seem to look like a really good deal. I might try a pack of the Ultex J3's, J3XL's, and the Petrucci J3's just to see what I like.

Curt

Where we're going we don't need neck pickups.
Reaction score
Dunlop Tortex Pitchblack Jazz 1.14

dunlop-tortex-pitch-black-jazz-114mm_m.jpg

I buy them by mistake, and after a week cursing at them... now I can't play without them.
same here, atm. Only have them because the closest GC did't have my beloved J3 XL's.

Valnob

about tree fiddy
Reaction score
Dunlop .60 to .72 mm

Almost all great players shred with thick pick but from my point of view, I can only pick fast with thin picks (soft).

Reaction score
The Dava Jazz Grip Nylon and Gels I ordered came in a few weeks back. I'm definitely liking the Nylons. It's noticeably softer than the Delrin or Gel (stiffest) and it took me a bit to get used to them. I'm glad I did because they're wearing much slower than I expected. I'm still on my first nylon after a few weeks with no noticeable beveling/wear, normally I'd have gone through 2 or 3 of the Delrins by now. I might not have noticed any wear because the plastic is such a bright yellow that I can't see, but I hadn't felt any differences either, also could be the softer material.

The other picks I've been trying over the last few weeks as well is the Dunlop Ultex Sharps in various gauges. I also like them, it's one of few regular sized picks that I can use as effectively as the smaller jazz picks. They don't seem to wear much if any better than other picks. I'm so moody with my picks though that I wouldn't hesitate at keeping a bunch around.

I'm definitely interested in the new Petrucci Jazz, they're becoming more available almost every week now.

New here to SS, thought I'd join this discussion since I've been trying out different picks lately. I mainly play hard rock and metal type stuff with fast single-picked notes, I just can't do legato so fast picking is my way of compensating, having the right pick is a big part of my technique.

I've been really liking the Dava Jazz Grip (Delrin) picks, been using them the last year or two after switching from Jazz IIIs. Both give me fast articulation and don't have so much surface area to grab the strings with like regular picks (which generally end up feeling slower). I prefer the feel of the rubbery grip on the Davas so I stuck with them. Recently I tried their variety pack and found I liked the Rock Controls and regular-sized nylon Grip Tips as well. Both feel completely different but I seem to get good stability out of both.

My only gripe with Davas is they don't seem to last for me vs. how much they cost. I do have a weird technique where I rely on the edge of my picks, and once they wear and taper off that pick is done. Fast palm-muted chugging will wear down that pick in 3-4 hours, and at $7 for 6 that's some serious crack! I don't grip the picks too tight and don't dig in either. I have a set of Jazz Grips in nylon and gel on order but I doubt they'll wear any differently.

I recently bought a bunch of Ultex Sharps in various gauges to test their feel and wear. if this works out I'll have some Ultex Jazz IIIs ordered to compare. Strange that no one locally has them in stock.

Zeoj67

Reaction score
The Dava Jazz Grip Nylon and Gels I ordered came in a few weeks back. I'm definitely liking the Nylons. It's noticeably softer than the Delrin or Gel (stiffest) and it took me a bit to get used to them. I'm glad I did because they're wearing much slower than I expected. I'm still on my first nylon after a few weeks with no noticeable beveling/wear, normally I'd have gone through 2 or 3 of the Delrins by now. I might not have noticed any wear because the plastic is such a bright yellow that I can't see, but I hadn't felt any differences either, also could be the softer material.

The other picks I've been trying over the last few weeks as well is the Dunlop Ultex Sharps in various gauges. I also like them, it's one of few regular sized picks that I can use as effectively as the smaller jazz picks. They don't seem to wear much if any better than other picks. I'm so moody with my picks though that I wouldn't hesitate at keeping a bunch around.

I'm definitely interested in the new Petrucci Jazz, they're becoming more available almost every week now.

Has anyone noticed any increased accuracy in picking with the davas ? I def do . I use the regular size davas with the rubber grip and different tip material and it has helped me a lot . I used the Jazz size pics but , I am getting away from jazz size and liking a regular size dava now . Big 2mm stubbys are second choice though . Hey whatever works , right ?

Z

jeleopard

Reaction score
Honestly, what ever I find.

Tortex jazz, tortex, and Gibson Heavy picks are what I have right now

Devyn Eclipse Nav

Avid Open C Enthusiast, Aspiring Ghibli Wizard
Reaction score
Dunlop Ultex 90s. They have the large gripping surface that I liked about the tortex sharps, with the tip and durability of the jazz III. Perfect.

abandonist

Banned
Reaction score
Dunlop slightly darker grey nylons.

Could probably make things clearer with a more sturdy pick, but hogwash to all that. The Drone Army cares not for your thick pick!

')